Analysis Home Track Bullies

Remove this Banner Ad

We play well in Adelaide (despite last year's smashing )
2/3 = 67%
I'm sure that compares favorably to other sides :)

I cant comment on other teams cos I don't know but Richmond's record at Adelaide Oval is 4 attempts for two wins and two losses. I think in my opinion if a team has a strike rate win percentage of 50% as a minimum at a ground then that is good.

I cant comment on other teams cos I don't know but Richmond's record at Adelaide Oval is 4 attempts for two wins and two losses. I think in my opinion if a team has a strike rate win percentage of 50% as a minimum at a ground then that is good.
Yep , and our problem is that almost 50% of our matches are away , and we have a less than 50% record at most grounds
Apart from (off the top of my head ) the Gabba, Adelaide Oval , Metrocon and Spotless
(But the latter three have a tiny sample size )
Losing against Hawks , Sydney, Geelong away was expected (other teams would've lost too)
But I'll be disappointed if we lose many more away games for the year

This group wont win a premiership if they cant beat good sides away from home. But as bad as it we are probably one good win away from home getting belief to beat other good sides away. it worked to an extent last year when we beat port.

Yep , and our problem is that almost 50% of our matches are away , and we have a less than 50% record at most grounds
Apart from (off the top of my head ) the Gabba, Adelaide Oval , Metrocon and Spotless
(But the latter three have a tiny sample size )
Losing against Hawks , Sydney, Geelong away was expected (other teams would've lost too)
But I'll be disappointed if we lose many more away games for the year

I think the one ground West Coast struggle at the most is the SCG - played there 17 times for 3 wins and 14 losses.

As for the Gabba - played 19, won 11 and lost 8 (so 57.8%)

I think the one ground West Coast struggle at the most is the SCG - played there 17 times for 3 wins and 14 losses.

As for the Gabba - played 19, won 11 and lost 8 (so 57.8%)
There are a few others we struggle at , too
Most of our wins at KP were many years ago, too
And thanks for the link :)
The Gabba figures don't surprise me at all

There are a few others we struggle at , too
Most of our wins at KP were many years ago, too
And thanks for the link :)
The Gabba figures don't surprise me at all

Its a bit like Richmond - they haven't lost at the Gabba since 2004. No worries about the link.

I think Eagles and Dockers fans need to start getting more vocal about the travel imbalances in the AUSTRALIAN football league. Why can't we host 2 home games on a weekend in WA?

This group wont win a premiership if they cant beat good sides away from home. But as bad as it we are probably one good win away from home getting belief to beat other good sides away. it worked to an extent last year when we beat port.
It was that game which gave them confidence and they got on a roll. It just seems since the loss in the GF their self-belief seems to have gone south.

I think Eagles and Dockers fans need to start getting more vocal about the travel imbalances in the AUSTRALIAN football league. Why can't we host 2 home games on a weekend in WA?

Yep, one on a Saturday and then one on a Sunday. It could work, I guess logistics wise would be the only thing? It's worth thinking about. As a starting point if it was for once per year (Domain hosting two games in the one round) to see how it went etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where/when will they come?
Can only see four:
v port (maybe)
v lions
v pies
v blues

Do we? Apart from the Polking-fluke game I remember it being a pretty happy hunting ground for us, even when the Lions were in God mode early 2000s.
08-got smashed
09-lost in round 1
10-Fev's last qtr
11-behind for most the game but won
12-James Polkinghorne
13-won but pushed all the way
14-Hutch's sealer
15-did we travel there last year?

We don't play that convincingly at the Gabba, wouldn't be surprised to see Brisbane nab one.

08-got smashed
09-lost in round 1
10-Fev's last qtr
11-behind for most the game but won
12-James Polkinghorne
13-won but pushed all the way
14-Hutch's sealer
15-did we travel there last year?

We don't play that convincingly at the Gabba, wouldn't be surprised to see Brisbane nab one.
Yep , we beat them away last year by over 50 points :)
And the Gabba is easily our best away ground
http://afltables.com/afl/teams/westcoast/overall_vn.html
Bring back the WACA :p ;)

Last edited:
As long as we win all of our home games + the derby (=12 wins ), we only really need 4 away wins for top 4
And 5 for top 2
I'll back us to win all of the ones you've mentioned
Or maybe drop the pies game (we fall to pieces against them at the MCG ) but instead beat teams we have a good record against
Eg Crows at AO (despite last year , we play well over there ) or GWS at Spotless (we have never lost to them! )
Those games are so far away though

It's hard to gauge our away form , given that we have had the 3 hardest road trips
(And that no other team has had a good away win against a top side , either )
If we lose to port in a couple of weeks (they're a bogey side ) , I'll be a little worried
I'm expecting us to win at least one of Bulldogs/Adelaide/GWS away - bookmark it :)

Maybe Freo's decline will end up being both a blessing (extra win compared to what most of us would've expected at the start of the season ) and a worry (that teams who beat them here will have less fear if they come back again to play us).

Yep, one on a Saturday and then one on a Sunday. It could work, I guess logistics wise would be the only thing? It's worth thinking about. As a starting point if it was for once per year (Domain hosting two games in the one round) to see how it went etc.
We could ... but that would just mean an extra week in WA with no footy - so whats the benefit ? They have them on alternate weeks with the aim of having a game in WA every round.

Logistics is fine - they do it at other grounds - and they did it at Subi last year with the prelims - but no need.

Perspective: we've had all good sides away (games we should have expected to lose), and average sides at home (expected to win).

If we played all the good teams at home, average sides away - we could realistically be 7 - 0 and everyone would be raving about us.

Or ....if we really can't beat the good teams anywhere - and really can't win away - we could be 0 -7 :eek:

So really, the fixture with reversed venues could mean we are the best or worst team ever :)

The frustrating thing for mine is that we aren't being completely dominated in these games. If we show up for even 3/4 we win at least two out of three of these games. We only played a quarter and 6min of good footy on Sat and we were in the game up until the last. Same with the swans. That tells me it's a completely mental and not a talent factor. They seem to switch it on for brief periods and play some outrageous football, only to piss it away and give up minutes later.

Extremely frustrating to watch.

The frustrating thing for mine is that we aren't being completely dominated in these games. If we show up for even 3/4 we win at least two out of three of these games. We only played a quarter and 6min of good footy on Sat and we were in the game up until the last. Same with the swans. That tells me it's a completely mental and not a talent factor. They seem to switch it on for brief periods and play some outrageous football, only to piss it away and give up minutes later.

Extremely frustrating to watch.

It is very frustrating to watch as we generate so much ball at half back and really seem to be in it. But then as each foray forward happens with turnovers and missed opportunities less and less opportunities start presenting themselves and the other team get on top and we drop our bundle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back