Homeschooling during Covid-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone lucky enough to be homeschooling.

Had anyone got any tips on making it a success?

My 7yo daughter has ADHD so any tips for homeschooling an ADHD child would be great too.

What has worked well for you?
What not so well?

Share your experience here!

Hi everyone lucky enough to be homeschooling.

Had anyone got any tips on making it a success?

My 7yo daughter has ADHD so any tips for homeschooling an ADHD child would be great too.

What has worked well for you?
What not so well?

Share your experience here!
If she is on medication do the stuff she doesn't like from ~10-12 in the morning, when she is at her most alert. Does she have the hyperactivity part as well? Maybe some active learning - something like count the number of streetlights before the end of the street, work out the distance (on google maps), then work out how far apart the streetlights are on average.

Also, remember she is probably only "learning" for 1-2 hours at most each day at school. In between let her play.

EDIT: Oh, and also drink.

I think for some families with special needs or geographic location it may be better for them to homeschool/distance education but I think the disadvantage as you said would be lacking social skills. I guess most families will no what works best for them and their kids.
I would imagine the struggle for many homeschoolers would be as kids get older and the curriculum gets more sophisticated. I'd be able to help older kids with humanities but the sciences and I parted ways mid high school, I'd be useless.

I would imagine the struggle for many homeschoolers would be as kids get older and the curriculum gets more sophisticated. I'd be able to help older kids with humanities but the sciences and I parted ways mid high school, I'd be useless.
We’ve had correspondence schooling and school of the air for a long time. They’ll be fine.

we have an 8 & 9 yr old, apart from the first week when schools were still implementing how to upload work etc it went pretty well. Our kids were usually done by 1pm. We did have to make sure they did all their work as they wouldnt read it thoroughly and miss bits they were supposed to do.

Speaking to a few friends who are teachers they say its almost impossible to grade their students accurately as alot of their students are getting everything right and they use and spell words they wouldnt usually use (as in, the parents are doing the work or correcting it before uploading it). They said its best to let the kids submit it as the work they prepared and they will correct, teach the kids what they did wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back