NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

in he end who cares, FFS Danni Laidley come out as trans, and the general public said, "thats a bit weird, but oh well", and any one who was involved with Danni pretty much said it was an open secret that it was her(his) thing.

Think one of the main reasons no one has come out is that it would come with attention of being the "the first" and then being a poster child for every LGBTI+ cause, and maybe they are not up for that.

FWIW have heard that there have been known gay players going back to the 70's.

I know for a fact there are gay players - I know a few who have dated friends, they do exist but won't come out as it damaged their image and may damage the teams brand etc.

Well I don't, so this reads as nothing more than unverified rumour unless you wanna put some names to it, which you don't, respectfully. I wouldn't want you to. But being the other guy on the end of the internet chat, I take it with a grain of salt.

in he end who cares, FFS Danni Laidley come out as trans, and the general public said, "thats a bit weird, but oh well", and any one who was involved with Danni pretty much said it was an open secret that it was her(his) thing.

You know why? Because like I said, he was still a person who was attracted to girls!

It's easier socially to be lesbian/a former hetero male, than a gay male. Seriously.

Read the article. It perfectly talks about why a teen struggling with sexuality will drift away from footy.

I find it very easy to believe there has never been a gay player make the AFL.

Bi, at the absolute most, and even that's unlikely.

It makes you appreciate what an extraordinary character Ian Roberts is. And that was 30 years ago.

The ability to inflict near-mortal injury on anybody who said the wrong thing to him probably helped.

So the article itself notes there are gay players in the AFL, the clubs know who they are and the players accept them. So that's something good. I can see why having an openly gay player would make life a lot easier for younger gay players but as Gough notes it will probably take a player coming through the system who is already openly gay for something to change. I am surprised some ex-players haven't come out just to set the record straight (pun not intended).

I know people will say gay players choose to keep their sexuality secret but it does appear to be a double-standard when the AFL media is full of photos of players and their wives and kids. Why shouldn't a gay player be able to take their partner to a best and fairest?

What it boils down to me is what would your own reaction be to finding out one of your favourite players is gay? I've got a suspicion the majority of footy fans wouldn't care. Sure there would be some idiots out there that will guffaw and abuse but I reckon most people would judge him on his ability to play the game.

It makes you appreciate what an extraordinary character Ian Roberts is. And that was 30 years ago.

The ability to inflict near-mortal injury on anybody who said the wrong thing to him probably helped.

He would still be among the first picked if I was putting together a 13 of tough c**ts from 35 years of watching the sport.

Anyway, personally, to me, it isn't that footy culture is homophobic - though it can be.

It is more that it is, aggressively heterosexual.
Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason gay/bi AFL men's players didn't come out wasn't because of homophobia by players and fans (it's 2023 - noone cares what you do in your bedroom) but rather the media beat up around being the first to do it ('omg, you're so brave').
I don't buy it. Its such a selfish excuse because all it does is put more pressure on the next guy.

look at the Adelaide camp situation. All those players said nothing until Eddie stepped up and then they all came out of the wood work. It shouldn't have had to be all on Eddie to be the first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read the article. It perfectly talks about why a teen struggling with sexuality will drift away from footy.

I find it very easy to believe there has never been a gay player make the AFL.

Bi, at the absolute most, and even that's unlikely.
lol

Something you misunderstand?
more something you misunderstand I think with you're whole its not homophobic its just aggressively hetero

I have no faith in AFL supporters. While I’d like to think the first person to come out would be universally celebrated, we all know that bogan AFL fans will use it as an opportunity to hurl abuse.

It's the reason why Buddy won't come to the Grand Final for a lap of honour, fear of getting booed again.

I have no faith in AFL supporters. While I’d like to think the first person to come out would be universally celebrated, we all know that bogan AFL fans will use it as an opportunity to hurl abuse.
To highlight that, look at the continuing problems we have with racism towards black players despite universal condemnation by the AFL and the clubs, yet it still happens by our so called fans.

Last edited:
I don't buy it. Its such a selfish excuse because all it does is put more pressure on the next guy.

look at the Adelaide camp situation. All those players said nothing until Eddie stepped up and then they all came out of the wood work. It shouldn't have had to be all on Eddie to be the first.
The second, third, fourth, etc will be forgotten about. The first will have to live with it forever.

more something you misunderstand I think with you're whole its not homophobic its just aggressively hetero
Ok, I'm up for leaning if you've more to say?

I mean, I would be surprised if people were directly homophobic to their team mates. That's what I am saying. But constant talk of hetero experiences that in my experience is rife at footy clubs, is alienating.

The football codes are masculine type sports. That is why there is a much higher percentage of lesbians in all women’s football codes. For this reason there would be less gay males in the football codes, but definitely not none. But if a male were to come out, his masculinity would be questioned every time he didn’t commit to contest in the ‘masculine’ way. It wouldn’t be very helpful to his career.

Ok, I'm up for leaning if you've more to say?

I mean, I would be surprised if people were directly homophobic to their team mates. That's what I am saying. But constant talk of hetero experiences that in my experience is rife at footy clubs, is alienating.
you don't have to be directly homophobic to someone to be homophobic

there's a lot more to human interaction than someone saying slurs to your face to let you know you're not welcome or wanted etc

plenty of less obvious ways to make people feel unwelcome or unsafe that don't involve outright open hostility

you're getting there with the alienating part though

The football codes are masculine type sports. That is why there is a much higher percentage of lesbians in all women’s football codes. For this reason there would be less gay males in the football codes, but definitely not none. But if a male were to come out, his masculinity would be questioned every time he didn’t commit to contest in the ‘masculine’ way. It wouldn’t be very helpful to his career.
man there are plenty of super masculine gays out there, not everyone is a twink or femboy

there's a lot of stereotyping going on here, which of course is part of the problem they would have to deal with as you say

its easy for people to equate lesbian in sport = acting like a man

that ties into the s**t views of masculinity that exist in society

man there are plenty of super masculine gays out there, not everyone is a twink or femboy

there's a lot of stereotyping going on here, which of course is part of the problem they would have to deal with as you say

its easy for people to equate lesbian in sport = acting like a man

that ties into the s**t views of masculinity that exist in society
But why is there a much much higher percentage of lesbians compared with general population in the female football codes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back