Opinion Honest thoughts on the current AFL jumper design?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately, the BBTB campaign has made me realise that any guernsey that isn't the PBs is a symbol of forced compromise and Victorian supremacy. And winning the right to wear the PBs 1-2 times a year would actually reinforce this message rather than minimise it. This is why the BIB will never be fully embraced.

Unfortunately, the BBTB campaign has made me realise that any guernsey that isn't the PBs is a symbol of forced compromise and Victorian supremacy. And winning the right to wear the PBs 1-2 times a year would actually reinforce this message rather than minimise it. This is why the BIB will never be fully embraced.
Wouldve been better in purple font.

I have no problem with the BiB. I love the whole idea of us wearing the 'state jumper in Port colours' which is how I see it. Thought it was a massive victory culturally, or symbolically, or whatever you call it, against the Crows and their stranglehold on all things "South Australia" brand-wise.

I also just remember how underwhelmed I felt in round 3 last year when we ran out in something that wasn't the PB's.

I think once the fight is over this feeling will settle down.

I think once the fight is over this feeling will settle down.

I disagree. As finbarr said - you wear the PBs one week and then run out in the BIB the next. How underwhelming. The feeling is literally "our Victorian overlords granted us the right to wear the PBs last week but this week we have been put back in our rightful place".

i think it's great, but yeah until we win a couple flags in it the majority of our fans will struggle to a connection and love for it.

I disagree. As finbarr said - you wear the PBs one week and then run out in the BIB the next. How underwhelming. The feeling is literally "our Victorian overlords granted us the right to wear the PBs last week but this week we have been put back in our rightful place".
Or one can accept the richness of our history and how we got to this point where we have two fantastic and meaningful guernseys.

As has been posted you do not build tradition by changing guernsey designs every 5 minutes.

Literally what we did for the better part of a century before arriving at the prisonbars as we know them in the 70’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally what we did for the better part of a century before arriving at the prisonbars as we know them in the 70’s.

Someone should have told these guys. The PB guernsey was around long before the 1970s.

1620783672107.png

PAFC Invincables 1914.

We have not always had the PB design as we had a twin bar design between the wars. As worn by Bob Quinn in the photo below.

1620784016346.png

At one stage in the late 1940's we actually wore the same vertical stripe design as Collingwood wear in the AFL. Again that is Bob Quinn in the Collingwood style guernsey in the photo below, the same Collingwood design was also worn by Semaphore Centrals in the SAAFL before they amalgamated with Exeter to form Port Districts. i remember we wore the Collingwood style guernsey in an SANFL heritage round against Norwood at Alberton and we got thumped. Someone may remember the game and the year but we probably got what we deserved for discarding the PB guernsey.

1620784274726.png

When Fos took over we reverted back to the PB design.

Attachments

• 1620783582432.png
    1620783582432.png
    880.2 KB · Views: 36
I'd wager that if in 1996 the club had just made an alternate colour PB jumper, we'd all be fine with it today. Now there's too much baggage in making that compromise.

I think having a silver-based PB's to replace our current silver guernsey would be cool. I completely understand every argument against this, but long term, when the dust settles, thinking about "the long game" etc etc, a solution to get the wharf pylon design into the AFL initially. If we wore the BiB for 8 or so home games, the PBs for 2-3 games home or away, and the silver PBs for the rest of the games where we can't wear black, that would at least have us wearing the wharf pylons as often as the BiB, and from there you further build to wear the BiB less, if that is still our ambition.

Someone should have told these guys. The PB guernsey was around long before the 1970s.

View attachment 1125193

PAFC Invincables 1914.

We have not always had the PB design as we had a twin bar design between the wars. As worn by Bob Quinn in the photo below.

View attachment 1125198

At one stage in the late 1940's we actually wore the same vertical stripe design as Collingwood wear in the AFL. Again that is Bob Quinn in the Collingwood style guernsey in the photo below, the same Collingwood design was also worn by Semaphore Centrals in the SAAFL before they amalgamated with Exeter to form Port Districts. i remember we wore the Collingwood style guernsey in an SANFL heritage round against Norwood at Alberton and we got thumped. Someone may remember the game and the year but we probably got what we deserved for discarding the PB guernsey.

View attachment 1125203

When Fos took over we reverted back to the PB design.

I think the point being made is that we tinkered with the Prison Bars specifically up until the 70s. If you look at them throughout history you can see we’ve had Prison Bar designs with many different features; a black number panel, black collar/cuffs, bars on the back, different number of bars etc. The general theme is the same but the design has evolved a fair bit from the first iteration back in 1902.

It's fine.
This. No more, no less.

In a world where we can't have the PB's I don't hate it, but in a world where we could have the PB's I wouldn't miss it for a second if it was gone.

I'd wager that if in 1996 the club had just made an alternate colour PB jumper, we'd all be fine with it today. Now there's too much baggage in making that compromise.

This would've been the best looking guernsey in the AFL if we'd come in with this. Silver with black bars/pylons for clash games. But as you say, because this is the sort of thing McGuire has been suggesting we do, it would now be unacceptable to the majority of supporters.

No doubt an unpopular opinion here, but I wish we would go with something like this, to get the design as our regular guernsey, as long as we could also wear the traditional black and white one for designated/heritage games.

The design is unique to PAFC, it's our trademark, but we're too hung up on the original black and white.

PBTeal.png

I think the point being made is that we tinkered with the Prison Bars specifically up until the 70s. If you look at them throughout history you can see we’ve had Prison Bar designs with many different features; a black number panel, black collar/cuffs, bars on the back, different number of bars etc. The general theme is the same but the design has evolved a fair bit from the first iteration back in 1902.

Correction, it’s earlier than the 70s.

According to the St Mero Bible of Footy Jumpers the last significant change was in 1958 when we removed the bars from the back of the guernsey.

So while they haven’t changed for more than 60 years it took almost 60 years prior to that for the design to evolve into what is now widely accepted as the Prison Bars.

3E805DD8-3434-4A4C-8E8E-B2CC1A28E509.jpeg

This would've been the best looking guernsey in the AFL if we'd come in with this. Silver with black bars/pylons for clash games. But as you say, because this is the sort of thing McGuire has been suggesting we do, it would now be unacceptable to the majority of supporters.

No doubt an unpopular opinion here, but I wish we would go with something like this, to get the design as our regular guernsey, as long as we could also wear the traditional black and white one for designated/heritage games.

The design is unique to PAFC, it's our trademark, but we're too hung up on the original black and white.

View attachment 1125217
It looks horrendous

View attachment 1125217
I don’t have a problem with teal in our current jumper, but for some reason I can’t warm to it with the pb design. Quite like the versions with silver bars though.

I don’t have a problem with teal in our current jumper, but for some reason I can’t warm to it with the pb design. Quite like the versions with silver bars though.

Yeah I agree, teal Bars always look a bit off. I don’t think it gels with the white panel back very well.

The best teal alternative Bars I’ve seen is based on the 1914 version where teal replaces white completely including the number (on the black panel). Can’t find it rn, probably an El_Scorcho effort. But again it’s trumped by the silver version of this IMO.

Adding a third colour always f@&ks it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back