Opinion Honest thoughts on the current AFL jumper design?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’ll always be second to the PB’s in people’s hearts, but it’s an amazing Guernsey in so many ways by itself.

The design is clean and striking, with the right amount of teal.

The back is very distinctive!

It works in so many colour schemes (love the away version this year).

It's aesthetically superior to the last design but still hasn't really managed to connect on any level that would manufacture nostalgia, which is odd as there has been some great moments in it, so the opposite to the SBS.

Perhaps if we had of continued to back against the wall style winning footy of 2013, the showdown wins plus games against Collingwood and Sydney were highlights, it would have, but as early as halfway in to 2014 we had already started derp selections and underachieving losses that would continue to the present day.

It makes the chocoball the teal wearing teams played look absolutely ruthless with his 18 win seasons and the feeling that yep, we're still Port.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's aesthetically superior to the last design but still hasn't really managed to connect on any level that would manufacture nostalgia, which is odd as there has been some great moments in it, so the opposite to the SBS.

u wot?

Love it. It should be our jumper for the next 100 years. Disappointed they altered the back though.
The St Kilda looking back was absolute trash.

It’s aesthetically pleasing, but I feel no sentimental connection to it and wish the bold look of the design hadn’t been watered down with the number panel.
I think the all silver is meh.
If we could wear the traditional prison bars on occasion each year, I’d rather the silver/black bars variant that’s been floating around as our main stay.

My thoughts on the best jumper in the AFL is that it’s the best jumper in the AFL. I would keep it.

Soccer has been a shirt-fest pr0n since my teenage years, so I wouldn’t mind seeing us exploring the away and third jumpers (the PB’s wouldn’t be in any of these categories).

However, the BiB should remain. We might make changes on the chevrons, but the basic design should be respected.

Last edited:
Soccer has been a shirt-fest pr0n since my teenage years, so I wouldn’t mind seeing us exploring the away and third jumpers (the PB’s wouldn’t be in any of these categories).

I was thinking (dangerous stuff!)...

The Power should have 6 jumpers in any given season:

I. Regular
1. Home (BiB)
2. Away
3. Traditional
[Showdowns/ANZAC/Finals] (PB)
I.a. Those would be worn the most; although the Traditional wouldn't be used more than three times during the H&A – and always in South Australia.
I.b. The design of the BiB and PB jumpers might have tweaks, but the basic design must be always respected.
I.c. The Away jumper could vary widely in both design and colours, but never be predominantly black.
I.d. Port would launch one of them every three years, alternatively.
II. Special
4. Indigenous
5. Heritage (Not-PB Past Jumper)
China
II.a. Those are jumpers used in special occasions.
II.b. They would be used no more than twice per season (not including pre-seasons) – and no more than once at home or away.
II.c. Their design (including colours) should vary widely from one model to another.
II.d. There would be a new version of those jumpers every year.
This way, for every season, the Power would have four new jumpers — three of them for special occasions (to be worn once or twice).

---

P.S.: On China, there is nothing extraordinary happening. The China-Aussie relations will always have its ups-and-downs. There is no reason to give up. We are still doing groundwork there, as we should. We must be prepared for the time when the tide turns again. We can be in a position for playing a relevant role in reattaching the ties — which could bring us plenty of benefits.

Let’s remember that, as bad as the current situation may be, and as incipient as our endevour over there has been, we currently have a Chinese company as one of our major sponsors. The initiative has given some return already, but we are in this for the long run.

Last edited:
I like it. Only a change to the pb's would be a preference. I like our current away jumper too, better than the white imo. I'd be a bit wary of changing our current home jumper too, you never know what you'll end up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always loved the chevron Guernsey, It's a cool design, simple yet effective! I reckon it'd be catching the eye of a lot of youngsters looking for a team to support too, especially in contrast to the Crows Guernsey which is, although not too bad, quiet boring IMO

I like it. Only a change to the pb's would be a preference. I like our current away jumper too, better than the white imo. I'd be a bit wary of changing our current home jumper too, you never know what you'll end up with.
How bout a teal number with a real lightning bolt through it. 😔

The St Kilda looking back was absolute trash.

The St Kilda looking back was a better fit for the guernsey but the Port Adelaide back is a better fit for Port Adelaide.

I don't think it was trash at all, I was apprehensive when they wanted to bring it in, but it makes us look more Port Adelaide so it wins.

I was always for the number panel. It was a no brainer.

Besides the all black back will always bring back memories of Troy Chaplin with his hands on his hips and soaring securities beneath the number.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Obviously prefer our black and white guernsey. But hey cant go wrong with using the state guernsey in our colours. Especially since the other team isn't allowed too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The only thing i hate about our current guernsey design is its not the Prison Bars

Other than that its the best guernsey in the AFL and i love it. Much better than the atrocity we won the 2004 premiership in

Given the opportunity however i would gladly say goodbye to our current guernsey for all eternity if we could go back to the PBs permanently

BiB is top shelf. I still think the white away was the best away guernsey going around - and perfect for autographs for those that do that sort of think but I’ve warmed to the silver.

More than happy that it is our predominant guernsey and that the prison bars continues to have an aura about it as a special purpose (but contracted and regular) guernsey.

As has been posted you do not build tradition by changing guernsey designs every 5 minutes. If we cannot use the PB guernsey stick with the BinB design. It is simple, bold and has the look of a traditional Aussie Rules guernsey.

The white panel on the back of the guernsey has been cleverly thought out as it replicates the back of the PB guernsey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back