Toast Honour. The. Past.

Remove this Banner Ad

I been having a read of old football records as was curious whether it was true that early last century they used to count the premierships from 1870 to the present day of the Football Record. As it turns out to my surprise when looked at round 1 Football Record of season 1912 they did. Basically the Football Record would list premierships from 1870 to 1911 of Football Record I looked at in table for LEAGUE
Under another table a list of premiers for ASSOCIATION from 1897 to 1911. So in a way the people of that time saw it not much difference to in England how the clubs from English top division football broke away to form Premier League in 1990's and Manchester United count their league titles from division one to Premier League as the same competition. It is almost like they looked at VICTORIAN ASSOCIATION football something equivalent to a 2nd division of Victorian football at the time. Some political s**t must have hit the fan around about the time they allowed Dogs, North and Hawthorn to enter to VFL and sometime around then they decided to list the titles for each season of club football from only 1897 onwards which is how I grew up counting our club premierships as 11 before we won first one I saw of 1979 grand final as premiership 12.

Reading up a bit of history from before VFL I can see the football season and organized competition was already in vogue in 1870.
But my question to likes of Thy or anyone else there to see at the time..... Did we actually win the 1869 Challenge Cup title?
I read up on it and seemed like neither Melbourne or Carlton could be outright labelled premier team that season but on Carlton site I see it lists 1869 Challenge Cup.
But on page for Honour Board where it list president, captain and result for season it has it blank for 1869 but filled in for every season from 1870 onwards.
So what actually happened in 1869 for someone to claim we were premiers ?

CHALLENGE CUP PREMIERS
1869 1871 1873 1874 1875
VFA PREMIERS
1877 1887

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/club/history/honour-board
HonourBoard.jpg

YEAR PRESIDENT TREASURER GENERAL MANAGER SECRETARY COACH CAPTAIN RESULT
1868 G. Coppin R. McFarland R. McFarland – J. Conway –
1869 G. Coppin C. Hillsden C. Hillsden – J. Conway
1870 G. Coppin T.P. Power T.P. Power – J. Conway Third
1871 G. Coppin T.P. Power T.P. Power – J. Conway Premiers
1872 G. Coppin T.P. Power T.P. Power – J. Donovan Runners-up
1873 J. Walls T.P. Power T.P. Power – G. Kennedy Premiers
1874 R. Roberton T.P. Power T.P. Power – J. Donovan Premiers
1875 R. Robertson T.P. Power T.P. Power – J.H. Guy Premiers

Last edited:
From 'The Blue Boys - The History of the Carlton Football Club':
"The Dark Blue played seven Grand matches this season (1869), won five, drew one and lost one. They compiled 10 goals and had only two kicked against them. Carlton were declared official champions for the season but Melbourne claimed the title and continued to dispute the Carlton triumph long after all participants had passed on."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back