golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are 0-3.

All 3 games have been “honourable losses”

But the fact is that game after game, year after year we continue to have these.
Often it’s because we have the youngest players showing signs of potential but not going on with it. Or, they leave.

This time around it’s because Zorko, Beams, Andrews, Witherden and Hipwood have gone backwards from last year. Hipwood showed a bit again today and look how close we got.

If past years are anything to go by, we will have an “honourable loss” to Richmond next week and then probably get flogged the week after because of the petrol tickets they used in the 2 weeks of “honourable losses”. That means a 0-5 start to the year and another season with not much to aim for.

It’s gutting.

We are 0-3.

But the fact is that game after game, year after year we continue to have these.
Often it’s because we have the youngest players showing signs of potential but not going on with it. Or, they leave.

This time around it’s because Zorko, Beams, Andrews, Witherden and Hipwood have gone backwards from last year. Hipwood showed a bit again today and look how close we got.

If past years are anything to go by, we will have an “honourable loss” to Richmond next week and then probably get flogged the week after because of the petrol tickets they used in the 2 weeks of “honourable losses”. That means a 0-5 start to the year and another season with not much to aim for.

It’s gutting.
If it's a serious problem, what would your suggestion be to rectify the issue?

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
You idiot.

Make sure you go to the G next week and watch them against Richmond, you might come away with a different feeling, if you cant see the improvement, maybe you should just be quiet and not say anything, whilst this is a loss, I wouldn't call it an honourable loss, it would call it a tough loss, we have shown so much improvement this year.

The wins will come.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are 0-3.

It’s gutting.
Can a player in just his second season who has only played 12 games really be labelled as "gone backwards"? Young players are generally up and down for their first 20-30 games. It is pretty standard for young players entering the AFL. Fwiw I thought Witherden played one of the better games of his career today.

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Can a player in just his second season who has only played 12 games really be labelled as "gone backwards"? Young players are generally up and down for their first 20-30 games. It is pretty standard for young players entering the AFL. Fwiw I thought Witherden played one of the better games of his career today.

Spot on Lionshine, Witherden had a great game.

Jul 22, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You write like we were a top 8 team... Maybe your expectations are more the issue than the performance of the team?

No one feels more gutted right now than me I promise you, but surely you see the upside of being in a position to win a game we probably shouldn't been in as a positive?

I was prepared to see us beaten by 10 goals but we played more cohesivley as a team today than we have for years.

Today gave me more reassurance of our direction than any time I can remember.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree that its gutting and that the win column doesn't reflect the progress that has been made. I think it's important to remember though that the reason we are so upset in the first place is that we can actually see that there has been improvement, and we're unhappy that it hasn't translated to the 4 points.

In a few weeks the threshold will be met and we will come away with the point against a strong team.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic

It's like anyone starting a job, even if it's the same work they've been doing for years. Getting into the swing of things takes time, for some people it's instant and good for them, some people take longer. Age, personality etc all factor into it.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I was cut off from the outside world this arvo.

Not even able to check scores on my mobile .

So then I am finally able to look up the results on the AFL app about 15 minutes after the game was finished.

s**t!

5 lousy points.

.......the usual conflicting emotions of anguish and pride.:(:huh::eek::'(o_O

Now to watch a replay

To golions......hang in there buddy.....things are getting better. A lot of the losses over the last few years (especially pre-Fagan) have been far from honorable. We are getting closer.....the wins will come:thumbsu:

Forward We Go

Cancelled
Mar 20, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are 0-3.

It’s gutting.
Cant believe I just read your post. Last year when we played Port in Adelaide, we were destroyed by 40 points and never looked in the game. If you cant see improvement in our effort, I dont know what game you are watching.
Additionally, to say Zorko, Beams, Andrews, Witherden & Hipwood have gone backwards is kinda disturbing. 3 of those players are still kids FFS. Please be reminded, its round 3 and already the difference in our effort is significant.
To say you are hard to please is understating this year thus far by huge proportions. Stop thinking about the win/loss ratio until 2020 mate. Look at how we are developing and changing our game to a winning formula. For years we have gone backwards but now we are slowly chipping away at the mountain. Anything that comes quickly never stays for long. Gradual improvement is the way we are going to play finals one day. Carppy one day and world beaters the next is never on the cards and not living in the real world.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I thought Hipwood had one of the better games of his career, 3 goals worked well up the ground. I think he’s really figuring out his best playing style and the team is delivering him the ball the way they should be. Out front, yes he’s tall but he’s also super quick and agile. Very few defenders who can match him on the lead

What I’ve liked today (and second half last week) is that we played well enough to get me emotionally invested and caught up in the emotions of the game. only happened a few times in 2017 so I already feel that we are ahead.

Hate losing, but loved today’s game.

Back