honourable losses

Remove this Banner Ad

theres two things in life that are important that is winning or accepting defeat. But what about the teams who have taken it up to a dominate team and just couldn’t get the chocolates at the end. I’m going to name a few and I’m hoping everyone can join in the discussion

1. Hawthorn 17.10 112 def Collingwood 17.9 111 Round 23 2016
2. Fremantle 13.10 88 def by Geelong 13.11 89 Round 7 2008
3. Carlton 10.9 69 def by West Coast 10.19 79 Round 5 2018

honourable grand final losses
Hawthorn 21.18 144 def Geelong 21.12 138
Brisbane 10.15 75 def Collingwood 9.12 66

If you want to roll with dishonourable losses, I think we Adelaide supporters can fill a 50 page thread. No team in living memory can choke on a certain win like us and turn it into a humiliating loss. And I’m not even referring to the 2017 GF loss that I predicted Richmond pounding us in. No club in modern history can lay claim to losing the unlosable like the Adelaide Football Club. Even Fitzroy on their knees managed a win against the raging favourite at footy park minutes before their demise. Or a year or 2, either way, we do failure when unexpected better than everyone else.

If you want to roll with dishonourable losses, I think we Adelaide supporters can fill a 50 page thread. No team in living memory can choke on a certain win like us and turn it into a humiliating loss. And I’m not even referring to the 2017 GF loss that I predicted Richmond pounding us in. No club in modern history can lay claim to losing the unlosable like the Adelaide Football Club. Even Fitzroy on their knees managed a win against the raging favourite at footy park minutes before their demise. Or a year or 2, either way, we do failure when unexpected better than everyone else.
I dont know man, i think a lot of Melbourne supporters would disagree with this

theres two things in life that are important that is winning or accepting defeat. But what about the teams who have taken it up to a dominate team and just couldn’t get the chocolates at the end. I’m going to name a few and I’m hoping everyone can join in the discussion

1. Hawthorn 17.10 112 def Collingwood 17.9 111 Round 23 2016
2. Fremantle 13.10 88 def by Geelong 13.11 89 Round 7 2008
3. Carlton 10.9 69 def by West Coast 10.19 79 Round 5 2018

honourable grand final losses
Hawthorn 21.18 144 def Geelong 21.12 138
Brisbane 10.15 75 def Collingwood 9.12 66
I can see where you’re coming from, but in the end an honourable loss is still a loss, & if you accept that you’re accepting mediocrity for your club....As a fan I want nothing more than my club to be the best, have witnessed it 3 times in my life & hope to add a few more to that.

OP club says it all. All their losses are honourable. See moral victory. Still celebrating 2018 PF.

There is no such thing as an "honorouble" GF loss.

Second is the first of the losers !!!

You have to look at the quality of the teams contesting - when Melb lost to Ess in what 2000 - they had no possible chance of beating Essendon - so that makes your statement invalid

Malthouse has consistently said that the greatest performance from a team that he has coached - is Collingwoods narrow loss to the Lions powerhouse team in the GF - Collingwood had some real battlers - Carl Steinfort ( ex Geel ) was slow and could kick 40 metres - yet they nearly rolled the mighty Lions
What " there is no such thing of " is this Culture bulldust - if the Saints had a touch of luck they could have gone back to back - and everyone would be raving about that Moorabbin culture

A touch of luck at the right time - that is criminally underated by most

what is this? espousing the losing rather than the whining.. um winning...
it helps no-one .. It shovels everyone else into the seat of the mini... the 50's version..

we are well we are... floating above the free gentry and you are allowing me to waffle..
shuffle and shuffle again...

Ha you know what is funny? I never get any likes when I am online... but when I go offline I get tons...

That is honourable loss... right handed perception.. although left handed is never wrong.. it is just not that popular...

From my pov as an eagles fan I was proud of the effort we put up in the 2011 QF final.
First finals game for most of our players, away from home against the reigning & minor premiers, we're right in the contest until the last 5 mins.
Yeah good call I forget about this game sometimes. I think the masses expected us to pull away in the second half and win by 6-8 goals but as you said it took until red time for us to even break a couple of goals clear IIRC. A great finals contest nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back