Strategy Hooker or Carlisle

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlisle was going pretty well forward before he was injured. He had started to run to all the right positions and was clearly our best player against the Hawks. Hooker is a gun now and will do well in either role, but I like his composure down back. Carlisle is just as good a stopper but doesn't have the decision making to counter attack like Hooker does, so Carlisle stays forward in my opinion if we keep him. No reason they can't swap ends on the odd occasion though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one I'd like to see us go after especially if we were losing Carlisle is Dixon

Then after 2016 ol' mate Bennell is pining for his buddy Charlie. Dixon in EFC colours in 2016, Bennell to join him in 2017... where do I sign?

<wakes up>

twas a beautiful dream

Hooker is a backman. He will never be a forward. We should be playing him in defense.

Carlisle can play forward but is a much better back.. The problem with a lot of our talls is that they are all better as defenders.

Play Hooker as a backman. No questions asked about that.

Carlisle/Hurley can switch.
Joe stays as a forward at all times.

To get the most out of our list, if Bellchambers and Carlisle are both actually fit (and still at the club) and one more preseason into JD then I'd like to see us start next year with the structure of:

Hurley, Hooker and Carlisle all down back. Carlisle is perfect for the resting ruck and Josh Kenedy types. Hurley can take Darling, Black, Buddy, Gunston ect ect. Hooker can take Cloke, Walker .. ect ect. Lets have a backline built around 3 KPDs capable of being AA.

Bellchambers on the ball.

Daniher up forward and McKernan assisting him while giving Bellchambers a chop out. The aerial ability of Edwards, Laverde and Langford will be enough. If Ambrose continues to improve he can add some hustle and bustle up there as well.

Carlisle showed he can be great when swung forward. Hurley can really provide some extreme contest plus some hustle around the half forward line. Hooker nearly outmarked two blokes on his own last night and was catching anything if he had the sit, no matter what Tarrant did. Hooker will be great to send to the forward goal square if we really need to roll the dice.

So lets have an impenetrable back line, a big ruckman with 3 genuine big bodied mids at his feet, a 2nd ruck who is also mobile for a big KPF, a 201cm mobile forward who loves to jump at the ball. Then pace and run to fill up the flanks and wings. It's not rocket surgery.

It's great our 3 KPDs are all capable of swinging forward. That makes us confident that we're always a chance in a game and the opposition nervous. It's great that we have some genuine speed and flair to look forward to next year as Edwards, Laverde, Fantasia and Langford all come on and Zaka and Colyer recover from injury.

We still need to build our side around:
  • Baguely and Hibberd lock down any little smart arse who thinks they're going to kick arsey goals or get the Joe the goose
  • KPDs that don't allow an opposition forward to tear us apart
  • A ruckman and inside mids that break even or win the stoppages
The rest is all icing and I think two tall forwards in Daniher and McKernan provides enough structure to let our young outside running, skillful and 190cm+ kids fine plenty of space to run into and opportunities to bag goals. I personally would like to see us play Ambrose in the midfield rotation and have him, Watson and Goddard rotating through one spot in the forward line.

Baguely Carlisle Hooker
Gleeson Hurley Hibberd
Stanton Watson Zaka
Laverde Daniher Langford
Goddard McKernan Edwards
Bellchambers Heppell Hocking
Myers Colyer Zerrett Ambrose

Backs Depth: Browne, Ashby, Gwilt
Mids Depth: Jerret, Howlett not sure if O'Brien and Kav will be here.
Forward Depth: Cooney, Fantasia can't be bothered doing more.

I'm of the same opinion. Where i would difer is I think the 2 L's are still a number of years off being anywhere near capable of influencing games. I would suggest we go after a Luenberger or another established ruckman and try and pilfer a quality mid from GWS 2nds. we have had one A grade midlfielder in the last 10 years (Jobe) and that has been part of our issue.

Having said all that I don't think Jake will be wearing black and red next year. We will get bent over no doubt like we did with Paddy and end up with a round 2 selection.

Then after 2016 ol' mate Bennell is pining for his buddy Charlie. Dixon in EFC colours in 2016, Bennell to join him in 2017... where do I sign?

<wakes up>

twas a beautiful dream
I have a better dream than that. Carlisle and our 2nd rounder for Smith, Bennell and Matera. Smith converts Bennell to the God squad .... Ablett is so inspired by this he comes to Essendon in 2017.

Watson is playing mostly forward in the twilight of his career, Daniher is a beast, Goddard is playing mostly at half back (though misses with concussion occasionally if he finger points too much around Hurls), Ablett is also mainly forward and Ambrose is the best tagger in the game, because he can also win his own ball at the stoppage.

Forward line of:
Langford Daniher Edwards
Watson McKernan Matera

Midfield of:
Myers, Heppell, Laverde, Zerrett, Colyer, Zaka, Bennell, Ambrose and Ablett. Smith in the Ruck

Back line of:

Baguely Hurley Hibberd
Goddard Hooker Gleeson ....

Many other changes due to draft of course.

Only 1 week ago he was locked into Carlton.

Suspect he'll stay imo.
I subscribe to the theory he would have signed already if he was going to stay. With ladder position probably giving us 4th pick in the draft another top 10 pick gives us a lot of scope for improvement. Nail a tall who will be at least serviceable after 2 preseason and a mid who will be very good quickly.

We could also trade Carlisle for players. If he goes to the dogs then we could get a three way with Gold Coast for young players who can have an immediate impact, but also have plenty of years to go at Essendon.

It would be complete mismanagement by the bulldogs if they can pay Carlisle more money than we can...

Carlisle must have something personal or a problem with the coaching staff if he doesn't want to stay, or we're playing hardball with his contract. Either way, we should sort it so he doesn't go elsewhere.

He's an Essendon local and should be a gun. Maybe he and Hooker will learn to play both ends and be able to swap and change as they see fit. At the moment, I'm not fussed which end they play at because they'll learn either way. It's all about how much they can learn at this stage, not how well they perform from week to week, especially as we see out this season, out of the finals.

Under-performing, overrated, often injured sook who can't kick for goal versus solid, reliable, positive and high-performing clubman who can't kick for goal but who is prepared play wherever he is put for the benefit of the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back