Hoping the soft cap is temporary and Leppa and others return in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Apparently, the soft cap on staff is not like the hard cap on teams. You can still have more staff just that the AFL will tax clubs if they do (something financially successful clubs like Collingwood and Hawthorn have put up with for years and something which has only recently been relevant for Richmond)

I am sure all here kept their memberships current in 2020 but there is no doubt our club and others would not have had the gate and sponsorship revenues during 2020 which are so important to having the services needed to remain successful.

Let's hope this current Covid stumble is short lived and we can get back to filling the stands as we aim for a 3 peat.

Let's hope too our team behind the team who have kept us viable and successful are only on 12 months unpaid :'( long service and will be back in 2022.

Hawks and Pies exceed initially because they were already over the AFLs cap when it was introduced. From memory they were given 2 years to get their s**t in order and payed 37.5% tax in year 1 and 75% the next year.

Now the tax is 200%. No team will go over willingly, which is the point.

leppa left of his own accord. he wasn't flicked. reckon he'll get an assistants job again if he wants it but it won't be with us you'd think.

leppa left of his own accord. he wasn't flicked. reckon he'll get an assistants job again if he wants it but it won't be with us you'd think.

Thanks, are you missing him?
I notice that he's doing a bit of media work, I reside in W.A so not sure how much he does. Some coaches enter the media to increase their profile so when vacant Senior Coaching positions come up then their invariably linked, any thought that he could be using that tactic?

Needing to cut 3mil from the soft cap Leppa put his hand up saying he was happy to step away especially after hub life in 2020.

He's been approached by Carlton and Collingwood this season about taking on senior assistant or footy ops roles and turned both clubs down.

Thanks, are you missing him?
I notice that he's doing a bit of media work, I reside in W.A so not sure how much he does. Some coaches enter the media to increase their profile so when vacant Senior Coaching positions come up then their invariably linked, any thought that he could be using that tactic?
don't think so. he's doing media work. is the director of coaching at a private school and i think some other coaching work. my take on his media comments is he's open to taking on another afl coaching role if the circumstances are right. 250,000 circumstances might be enough.

Can't see him coming back to the club even if he is coaching next season. Would be great though.
Depends what he's looking for I think. If he wants stability and predictability he'll come back. If he has ambition to senior coach one day or he wants change I could see him following Craig McRae or Newy to a club to become senior assistant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tax is like 200% of surplus over cap , no one would exceed it

It's scaled from 100% to 150% and there's certain carry over penalty rates to the following year. So don't get too excited about exceeding it or for the AFL to significantly lift it.

Thought I heard reports that soft cap was being negotiated for 2022 and would not go back up by the 3.2 million that had been cut but perhaps by 1 or 1.2. Think it was the coaches association guy (forget who that is now)...

I'm sure Dimma would have been on a performance-based contract. As such, his success would have pushed up his salary. That would be putting pressure on our assistants' salaries. Caro indicated that all our assistants are leaving at the end of the year. I'm sure they're all after better money. Our success is killing us with these ridiculous rules. There's no doubt in my mind that that half the coaches salary should not be in the soft cap.

I'm sure Dimma would have been on a performance-based contract. As such, his success would have pushed up his salary. That would be putting pressure on our assistants' salaries. Caro indicated that all our assistants are leaving at the end of the year. I'm sure they're all after better money. Our success is killing us with these ridiculous rules. There's no doubt in my mind that that half the coaches salary should not be in the soft cap.

The head coaches salary should not be included at all in my humble opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back