Hopman Cup....gaaawwwn

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmation of what we already knew.

Not sure why it had to happen though. The tournament used to start before January 1 and it probably could still fit in between Christmas and the ATP Cup.

I would have thought the ATP Cup should be Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Better for travel, and keeps the Hopman Cup.

Writing was on the wall a few years ago when they started mucking around with it by having more than one Aussie team as well as that bizarre doubles scorring. I enjoyed it as a kid in the late 90's up until about 05.

A sad day indeed, snuck through beneath the Barty news. Well beyond their glory days, but official axing was always going to be hard to swallow. The ATP Cup will need to win over a lot of sceptical fans accustomed to the Hopman Cup.

Favourite title/finalist runs?

'98 by the Slovakian qualifiers Kucera and Habsudova.
Robredo's unlikely heroics in the '02 and '10 finals were memorable.
The '00 final run by the Thai team Srichaphan & Tanasugarn before they were household names.
The '06 final run by the Dutch team (sister) Krajicek and Wessels.
Dokic in '99 and Gavrilova in '16 were welcome surprises.

At least it went out well in the final rivalry of the last 2 years.

Writing was on the wall a few years ago when they started mucking around with it by having more than one Aussie team as well as that bizarre doubles scorring. I enjoyed it as a kid in the late 90's up until about 05.
Completely agreed. Loved it in the 90s, but 2005 was around the point when it began to start feeling more irrelevant. The ABC generally did a good job with it. That Dulko-Coria final run in 2005 was fairly underwhelming, a tipping point in hindsight.

Like the Commonwealth games and Winter Olympics, I guess it was one of those events that was always going to suffer when the captive audience succumbed to more FTA channels and online distractions. Brisbane taking over from the ailing Adelaide in 2009 also pulled attention away from it.

Has there been any suggestion that the ATP Cup has come about because the ATP are subsidising the WTA at joint events such as the slams and other major tournaments?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back