• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would people rather go after a short term player in Gibbs for our midfield needs, or go for a player not at that level yet but offers more long term prospects than Gibbs in Hopper?

For me its Hopper.

Is this just a hypothetical or do we actually have some realistic chance of getting Hopper?
Its more of the idea of would you rather chase a quick fix like Gibbs or a long term fix like Hopper. I dont think Gibbs is the difference between us and a flag, and we should not sell the future to get him (2 first rounders is ridiculous)

Its more of the idea of would you rather chase a quick fix like Gibbs or a long term fix like Hopper. I dont think Gibbs is the difference between us and a flag, and we should not sell the future to get him (2 first rounders is ridiculous)

Oh right. In that case, I'd take a quick fix, but like you, I don't think Gibbs is the quick fix we need. He's a good player, but I wouldn't be mortgaging our future to land him so no, I wouldn't be doing the 2 first rounders, either. This year I probably wouldn't do a single first rounder, either, although I don't know much about the draft crop coming through, so I guess if there isn't going to be much quality available at that pick then I'd consider it.

As much as I don't like him as a person, Dustin Martin is the kind of player we need but he ain't coming here.

Selling what future we have an opportunity at the moment in 4 to 5 years time the wheel will have turned and those teams getting early round draft picks will be clinmbing up the ladder, and we will be dropping down the ladder

You do understand how the AFL have created the model to ensure its not four teams up the top year in year out

Oh right. In that case, I'd take a quick fix, but like you, I don't think Gibbs is the quick fix we need. He's a good player, but I wouldn't be mortgaging our future to land him so no, I wouldn't be doing the 2 first rounders, either. This year I probably wouldn't do a single first rounder, either, although I don't know much about the draft crop coming through, so I guess if there isn't going to be much quality available at that pick then I'd consider it.

As much as I don't like him as a person, Dustin Martin is the kind of player we need but he ain't coming here.

Thats it, Gibbs is the only quality player wanting to come here, barlow wouldnt even come here and he wasnt that good

If I can get my head around an either/or choice actually existing between these two I still say Gibbs.

We need some quality inside 50 kicks; badly struggling in that area at the moment, and I want a premiership now when we're as primed as we're gonna be for a while.

We need some quality inside 50 kicks; badly struggling in that area at the moment, and I want a premiership now when we're as primed as we're gonna be for a while.
There's a guy on the Gold Coast who is a fantastic inside 50 kick to a lead...surely wouldn't cost more than a 3rd rounder?

From our current list we need Milera and Atkins to be more consistent and Smith to be moved to the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doe that mean we only half a year and half left in Sloane and Tex

Looks like the rebuild is coming sooner than later

Mate we havent even had half a year of sloane this year. We got 6 weeks

He is a year younger than Gibsb sounds like he is gone now, do you think we should rebuild whilst sitting second on the ladder?

Mate stop taking my statements 200 steps beyond what i actually said and then acting incredulous.

I think we should keep building

Thats the million dollar question

How the AFL has structured the comp and the way the draft works, the bottom teams get the early draft picks and the top teams dont the quality in players then reverses happens so that all teams get a go at the top

The way the comp is structured it requires a movement in teams you can fight it and try and remain competitive or let the natural way the comp is structured take hold and bottom out

Gibbs will start declinig next year and will be another thompson. Hopper

Gibbs has brilliant footskills; why is there a comparison with Thompson.

He's got three good years in him after this season season if he follows Thompson's path anyway.

Back