PS4 Horizon: Zero Dawn

Remove this Banner Ad

Great game though super easy platinum, only trophy I had to go back for was the Grazer statues. Minor gripe but think the story would have been more memorable if they had gone darker maybe a similar tone to the Witcher, would have made the world seem in a more dire state.

Yeah was thinking this last night, story is great but could have been made even better by making it a bit gritty or something. The human characters, while ethnically diverse, are all pretty vanilla.

Just to add another microscopically small criticism - wish the change from day to night was a bit longer, it goes from dead of night to bright sunshine in about 5 seconds. Actually wish the day/night cycle was longer in general, they nailed it in Witcher and it made the world feel a bit more epic.

Only just made it to Meridian - loving it so far. Certainly the best "hunting" I've ever experienced in a game.

(May or may not have very quietly edged around that first Thunderjaw though, just saying.)
I sat back on the cliff and shot him with tear arrows like a bitch, then eventually confronted him when he had next to nothing to kill me with. I felt like a camper in CoD.

Dan's foolproof guide to downing a Thunderjaw:
- Keep your distance and get out your Hardpoint arrows
- Remove the disc gun on the top, followed by the shoulder missiles, followed by the mouth guns
- Now that he is less threatening, get closer and spam it with freeze bombs until he turns white - your attacks will now do additional damage
- Pick up the disc launcher that you knocked off of him and target his torso for huge, freeze boosted damage which also effectively knocks off armour and lets you hit his internal weak spot for even more ridiculous damage

- Remove the disc gun on the top, followed by the shoulder missiles, followed by the mouth guns
- Now that he is less threatening, get closer and spam it with freeze bombs until he turns white - your attacks will now do additional damage
- Pick up the disc launcher that you knocked off of him and target his torso for huge, freeze boosted damage which also effectively knocks off armour and lets you hit his internal weak spot for even more ridiculous damage
I use tearblast arrows to knock off all his weapons then pepper him with blast grenades.

I use tearblast arrows to knock off all his weapons then pepper him with blast grenades.
Also effective.

There's so many different ways to do it - that's just my favourite as it's very easy and accessible from pretty early on. Tearblast is more effective for knocking components off but the Hardpoint gives you more damage. Allows you to pick off a little bit more from a distance.

Also effective.

There's so many different ways to do it - that's just my favourite as it's very easy and accessible from pretty early on. Tearblast is more effective for knocking components off but the Hardpoint gives you more damage. Allows you to pick off a little bit more from a distance.
I'll give hardpoint a go. Always good to mix it up a little. I went on a spree with blast grenades and rope ties and ended up burning through all my wire and blaze leaving me to rue all the excess that I sold off! Didn't realise attacks did extra damage when frozen, just thought it did initial damage on freeze and incapacitated them.

Just started that Brin side mission. What a fruitcake.

Don't have too much left to do - 2 corruption zones, Armoury (need 1 more power cell), that Brin mission and the Story from just after Grave. I think there's also 2 other side ones that haven't opened up yet. Currently sitting around 86%.

Just ran into my first Stormbird but for some reason couldn't attack it despite it being able to attack me. Whatever I shot at it just seemed to go straight through, and it wouldn't show up in my Focus. :mad:

I assume its just a bug, or may be because I haven't "discovered" its site yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Thunderjaw near Meridian usually has 3 friendlies that spawn walk by it I find. I wait for them to start fighting it and join in. The old rope tie trick, shoot his gun off, then use his gun against him usually does the trick in no time

The back half of this game takes it from a 6/7 to a 8/9 easily. I'm glad they took the story the way they did.

They could have easily gone the fallout route of briefly touching upon how the world ended and prioritising story in the current time, but I much prefered to learn about the fall of civilisation, that's what drew me to this and i'm glad the entirety of the back half was centered around that. It was done really well aswell.

A few things they could improve upon in the sequel to make this a true 10/10.

Post credits was quite interesting. I felt I could never really trust Sylens. Though, the scene where he breaks you out of the Sun Ring was pretty cool. Almost thought he was going to betray me when we were talking in his workshop. Is there definitely going to be a sequel? You think there would given the success, but they might tie it off in DLC.

Really loved the story, loved reading and listening to all the data collectables. Already having withdrawals, I want to know more about what happens next with GAIA and all the sub programs. Did any of Apollo survive? What happened to the children after being forced out into the world? So much they could expand on, but still did a great job creating a fairly contained story.

Felt pretty damn satisfying getting stuck into Lansra. And calling out Helis for being a gullible fool.

Did anyone fight Nil to the death? I passed and he rocked up at the end.

Post credits was quite interesting. I felt I could never really trust Sylens. Though, the scene where he breaks you out of the Sun Ring was pretty cool. Almost thought he was going to betray me when we were talking in his workshop. Is there definitely going to be a sequel? You think there would given the success, but they might tie it off in DLC.

Really loved the story, loved reading and listening to all the data collectables. Already having withdrawals, I want to know more about what happens next with GAIA and all the sub programs. Did any of Apollo survive? What happened to the children after being forced out into the world? So much they could expand on, but still did a great job creating a fairly contained story.

Felt pretty damn satisfying getting stuck into Lansra. And calling out Helis for being a gullible fool.

Did anyone fight Nil to the death? I passed and he rocked up at the end.

There will be a sequel, it's closing in on 3 million sold and is now a lock to be Sony's next signature series.

Got distracted by other games but finally putting in a few hours. Reached Meridian. Impressive city.

I'm finding the open world a bit too large for my liking. Every time I complete a mission it seems as though I'm a mile away from any other quest. I know there is fast travel but the fact that you almost need to use it suggests that the world is simply too large and traversal isn't fun enough to warrant exploring it.

Overall though I'm enjoying it. Combat is fun and the story and characters are solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back