Hornethorne and the wooden spoon dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At this point, I think Finn Callghan is probably most likely.

He looks mighty good, too.

maybe just another honourable draw against the Dogs, to keep pick 2

We could easily end up with pick 9 from here.
I could see it happening unfortunately. A couple of cheaper wins against teams that are switched off.

And then for as bad as we have been this year we only end up with picks 9, 28 and 30 say. Instead of 3, 22 and 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see it happening unfortunately. A couple of cheaper wins against teams that are switched off.

And then for as bad as we have been this year we only end up with picks 9, 28 and 30 say. Instead of 3, 22 and 23.
2017. 2019.
It's the Clarko way!

No No No to honourable wins on the way home. We have seen enough of the crap for the past 2-3 years to understand where we are and what we need.

clean out the dead wood.
Pick up a free agent or two.
Trade down further into the draft and get more quality.

Reality A: Hawthorn is completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year and end up with pick 2

Reality B: Hawthorn's players show significant improvement, are competitive in the last 5 games and end up with pick 4

Which is better?

To me, Reality B seems easily preferable. The only real exception is if we stay competitive but other teams around us also storm home, giving us a top 2 pick. That's the dream, but it's out of our hands.

Truth be told aside from Horne & Daicos the next few are all equally talented with high but speculative ceilings so I wouldn’t be incredibly upset with a higher finish. There are still great options available that could really challenge for the best player in the draft with proper development.

Callaghan is my personal favourite with his traits but needs to work on his contested stuff.
Goater has all the traits to be a modern superstar footballer but lacks the fitness + consistency of the others.
Ward is the classy inside/outside mid that Sonsie was supposed to be.
Roberts is a workhorse with a cannon for a foot. If he can work out his kicking under pressure he'll be a very good player.
Erasmus potentially a bit early here but damaging mid/forwards with natural game sense are invaluable.

Even with our injuries , still think we will pinch a game on the way home.
The game V Adelaide will probably settle it because they actually genuine look like the cue is in the rack .

Ours might be as well but more forced due to our list availability.
prophetic.

Reality A: Hawthorn is completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year and end up with pick 2

Reality B: Hawthorn's players show significant improvement, are competitive in the last 5 games and end up with pick 4

Which is better?

To me, Reality B seems easily preferable. The only real exception is if we stay competitive but other teams around us also storm home, giving us a top 2 pick. That's the dream, but it's out of our hands.
I like B.... Builds confidence in the group and pick 4 could be the Goat

Which is better?

Hawthorn win one more we end up with pick 7, don't win another game and it's pick 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back