Hornethorne and the wooden spoon dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of the posters in here eyeing off a spoonful of Horne, were also vocal when King made his prediction a few months back..

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
He only picked Hawthorn to avoid picking North, he hardly gets credit for Hawthorn missing Sicily, Gunston, Impey, Day for the majority of the season.

I wonder how many of the posters in here eyeing off a spoonful of Horne, were also vocal when King made his prediction a few months back..

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

didn’t he make that after a ‘weak’ hawthorn team thrashed north in pre season? Or was it during?

Can't see us getting the spoon and don't want the spoon. Pick 5 is a huge chance to be better than pick 1. History tells us that.

Would be just as happy with callaghan/goater/Erasmus as I would be with Horne. The key is a dynamic mid. Just hope the one we gets turns out the best

I just can't believe we are staring down the barrel of a wooden spoon.
How did this club get to this point? Absolute disaster.

Having said that I think we're the kind of club that can get a pick 1 and actually do something great with it, regardless of who is picked, unlike Melbourne/Carlton/GWS type clubs.

Having said that I think we're the kind of club that can get a pick 1 and actually do something great with it, regardless of who is picked, unlike Melbourne/Carlton/GWS type clubs.
I back us to rebound strongly with a bit of patience in the next 12-18 months.
In a far different position to Melbourne and Carlton.

Plus we got a jet (Day) at pick 12 a few drafts back and DGB will be a player.
I think bar the midfield our building blocks are stronger.

On exposed form 50-50 but the fact the pies are our bunnies makes it 60-40 for me

Really depends what version of the Hawks shows up on the day
I think we are more like 80-20 to win. Grundy is playing like he doesnt care and we have Reeves coming along well, their midfield is basically just Adams and Sidebottom, and their forward line makes ours look great.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t want to finish last - and would rather wins than losses regardless of Draft implications.

Even if North can get above us, we still must be a slight chance of overtaking Collingwood.
Yeh the difference between pick 1 and pick 3 is pretty much just down to luck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

didn’t he make that after a ‘weak’ hawthorn team thrashed north in pre season? Or was it during?

He only picked Hawthorn to avoid picking North

Does that matter?

He is was slammed all over the place by shirty Hawks fans, not just on this board. He was contrite (as contrite as King is capable of being) when it was brought the call on SEN too.

Turns out he might be right..

Is every component of our form line purely coincidental??

I ask this because since Collingwood won in Round 8, we have occupied 17th every week since.

Each time we have had the opportunity to move up the ladder with a win, we have failed to do so (regardless of opposition strength).

Each time a win would not enable us to move up the ladder, we have won within a week (again, regardless of opposition).

To elucidate, Collingwood (16th) won in Round 12, allowing Hawthorn to win without moving up the ladder. The following week, we beat a top 6 Sydney in a much improved performance.

Collingwood again won in Round 13 and after a narrow loss to Essendon, Hawthorn knocked off GWS in Round 15.

After a couple of losses, Collingwood beat Richmond in Round 17. Hawthorn (also after a couple of corresponding losses) face top placed Melbourne in the next game they can win without going up the ladder. Hawthorn get a draw with the ladder leaders in a much improved performance.

On the weekend, a win would see Hawthorn jump a couple of places on the ladder and despite a better fielded side, Hawthorn's performance drops away to lose to the 16th placed side.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we are secretly good or can simply choose when to win (or even that the above means anything at all - which I personally doubt) but the above is a little interesting. Is it purely coincidental? or does the intensity and effort lift a little when a win will not compromise our draft position?

Hopefully the coincidence continues to play out as it has been !

Does that matter?

He is was slammed all over the place by shirty Hawks fans, not just on this board. He was contrite (as contrite as King is capable of being) when it was brought the call on SEN too.

Turns out he might be right..
And you backed him at the time, I take it?

Hypothetically if we got pick 1, would we take Horne or trade pick 1 to Gws for picks 4,7 and pickup Callaghan and Sinn as midfielders.

Let's say the tables were turned and we had pick 4 & 7 and were mid table and on the cusp of playing Finals. Would you do that trade?

Is every component of our form line purely coincidental??

I ask this because since Collingwood won in Round 8, we have occupied 17th every week since.

Each time we have had the opportunity to move up the ladder with a win, we have failed to do so (regardless of opposition strength).

Each time a win would not enable us to move up the ladder, we have won within a week (again, regardless of opposition).

To elucidate, Collingwood (16th) won in Round 12, allowing Hawthorn to win without moving up the ladder. The following week, we beat a top 6 Sydney in a much improved performance.

Collingwood again won in Round 13 and after a narrow loss to Essendon, Hawthorn knocked off GWS in Round 15.

After a couple of losses, Collingwood beat Richmond in Round 17. Hawthorn (also after a couple of corresponding losses) face top placed Melbourne in the next game they can win without going up the ladder. Hawthorn get a draw with the ladder leaders in a much improved performance.

On the weekend, a win would see Hawthorn jump a couple of places on the ladder and despite a better fielded side, Hawthorn's performance drops away to lose to the 16th placed side.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we are secretly good or can simply choose when to win (or even that the above means anything at all - which I personally doubt) but the above is a little interesting. Is it purely coincidental? or does the intensity and effort lift a little when a win will not compromise our draft position?

No coincidence. It's more the way the fixture has played out since R12 as Clarko and his assistants seem to be more able to get the team up to a really good intensity against the better teams and not against the team's around us on the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back