Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

'Shooting a horse is probably the most humane and quick way that you could put a horse down.' ... Horses are at risk of injury throughout their lives, regardless of the type of equestrian activity they participate in.' The authority also confirmed that the fatality rate for racehorses currently stands at 0.2 per cent.Sep 24, 2014

Even worse that you grabbed overseas footage from the Daily Mail. You really are swimming uphill here through a river of sewerage.

5 minutes ago you were denying it even occurred, so I wouldn't bother trying to lecture anyone here.

The 'authority' also said the wastage rate was 34 horses per year in Australia, it's turned out to be at least 4000. The fatality rate per year is over 100 per year on the racetrack in Australia. We already know the actual numbers, they're horrific.

Do you honestly believe that only 30 racehorses get sent to the knackers each year?

ex-racehorses (thoroughbred) used for equestrian and ex-racehorses (standardbred) usually make pretty good hacks because they're not as highly strung as the thoroughbreds, there's only limited spots in those areas, what do you think happens to the rest of them. Remember they live for 20 to 30 years.

If there's a combined total between thoroughbred and standardbred of 30,000 being foaled each year, I guess over 20 years, there's 600,000 bred. Where do you honestly think they all go?

Of course not, I’m fully aware of the problem with over-breeding and think something should be done about it.

But that’s not even racing... it means collaring the breeding industry - which is upstream of racing - and cutting their numbers. With the political tentacles, I’d like to see that happen.

I was making a point about the moronic number quoted. 40% of racehorses sent to abattoirs. Please.

We have the technology to do all sorts of cruel things to animals if we truly wanted to.
We already do that anyway.

Even the so called "cruelty" involved in the racing game is relatively minor compared to the cruelty nature inflicts on such a species in the wild. Certainly far less cruel than the way indigenous peoples treated them on other continents over the last twenty thousand years.
Fallacy of relative privation. By that logic no one should be opposed to flaying you alive because people are dying horribly in war-torn countries.

And what does nature have anything to do with it? Are you seriously comparing yourself to, say, a dumb housecat whose behaviour like playing with their prey is purely instinctual and doesn't know right from wrong? Actually, that'd explain a lot of things about you. You were the same f'wit who applauded the live baiting controversy with the greyhounds.

WA racing industry overhaul to track the welfare and whereabouts of retired racehorses

WA's Racing and Gaming Minister, Paul Papalia, said the Government would conduct a racehorse "census" to determine the status of each retired thoroughbred and standardbred living in the state.
It would also provide the owners of rehomed racehorses with a "passport" that would track their movements in their post-racing life.
Healthy and behaviourally sound racehorses would be required to be rehomed and won't be able to be exported to countries with inadequate animal welfare standards.
Racehorses would also be tracked if they are moved interstate.
Under the proposed changes, WA breeders would have to adhere to a licensing regime in a bid to regulate breeding activity in the racing industry.
The Government would also acquire an equestrian property in the state to provide retraining and emergency care to retired racehorses.
Mr Papalia said the plan would be reviewed after two years to address any gaps, failures or areas of improvement.
He said it would see WA lead the nation on the issue of racehorse welfare

Regardless of the various short-comings, this is by far the country's leading governmental response in making efforts towards addressing some of the problems. That is a commendable political effort.

I think alot of people who say this, have literally never owned or been around a horse long enough to actually know what cruel is to them. Been around horses alot in my life and im telling you now. the worst thing you can do to a horse is take it away from other horses. I have a huge issue with people who have or own 1 horse.

Its crueler then anything that happens in racing itself. Horses are a social creature who simply need other horses around them to be happy. Without them they just become miserable husks

The sad part is alot of people who own a horse by themselves have never actually put them in a social setting and therefore do not actually know the difference it makes to the horse itself.

I think horse racing is not cruel per se.

But I think when you add big money to the equation (i.e. the racing industry as it exists now) then the temptation for people to do things contrary to animal welfare becomes too great, and based on available evidence, impossible to police.

Not easy to ban. Not easy to reform. Status quo likely to continue for a long time I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If exploiting another creature for financial wealth and base entertainment isnt cruelty then, well, we suck as a species.

According to our Dear Leader here in Victoria, not racing horses is animal cruelty, hence why they were allowed to continue during stage 4.

Of course I'm sure the money the Victorian government makes out of betting companies was no influence in that decision...

The Flemington Carnival is broadcast live on three channels - Ten (FTA), racing.com (FTA) and Sky 1 (Foxtel).

These numbers only refer to the Ten coverage - it’s nowhere near the actual story.

Ten have had it for two years and been roundly panned for terrible coverage, with ratings falling both times. Hardly surprising people are switching.

I'm off to work tomorrow to be exploited by the boss so that i can get some money and go be exploited by the supermarket. The world doesn't run on goodwill.

Why? Because we let it be that way? Or because its naturally that way?

Nonsense. It is just as natural to be compassionate and caring towards others. There is a choice.
You can be as compassionate and caring as you want. Still doesn't mean you don't try to take advantage of others. Ever sell something for a profit? Ever employ someone and pay them less than the profit their work generates?

You can be as compassionate and caring as you want. Still doesn't mean you don't try to take advantage of others. Ever sell something for a profit? Ever employ someone and pay them less than the profit their work generates?
I am employee on the minimum wage, I'm not exploiting the labour of others for personal profit.

Not that this or much of what you are saying bears any relevance to this thread. I don't think "Do it to them before they do it to you" tells us much about the horse racing situation unless you think if we stop racing the horses they will start racing us...

It really shouldn't have to be pointed out to you that the existence of exploitation and cruelty in the world does not mean that all instances of exploitation and cruelty are natural, let alone justifiable or beyond criticism.

Last edited:
I am employee on the minimum wage, I'm not exploiting the labour of others for personal profit.

Not that this or much of what you are saying bears any relevance to this thread. I don't think "Do it to them before they do it to you" tells us much about the horse racing situation unless you think if we stop racing the horses they will start racing us...

It really shouldn't have to be pointed out to you that the existence of exploitation and cruelty in the world does not mean that all instances of exploitation and cruelty are natural, let alone justifiable or beyond criticism.

what would happen to the horses if they weren’t racing?

what would happen to the horses if they weren’t racing?
Sigh.

So, because it would be difficult to suitably rehome the excessive number of horses that have been bred for the race industry if we shut the race industry down, we should just let the industry continue and keep on excessively breeding them?

As far as asinine arguments go, this is right up there with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back