Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it too much to ask you contribute something actually pertinent to the topic of discussion?

Is it too much to ask you contribute something actually pertinent to the topic of discussion?

I did. You just can't connect the dots.

I get that you're attempting to steer the agenda, so drop the "discussion" crap. It's the last thing that interests you.

There would have been 20 times the angst over the betting network going down than a few dead horses, even though those beasts had a hefty price tag.

even from Whately

There would have been 20 times the angst over the betting network going down than a few dead horses, even though those beasts had a hefty price tag.

even from Whately
I disagree, Most racing followers I know were keen for the races to go on time. I thought the decision to delay races to let gambling potentially catch up was ridiculous. The stewards' links to gambling are a bit too close.

I disagree, Most racing followers I know were keen for the races to go on time. I thought the decision to delay races to let gambling potentially catch up was ridiculous. The stewards' links to gambling are a bit too close.
The racing industry only exists in its high profile state thanks to the gambling industry built around it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interest in Melbourne Cup slips with more than half of Australians uninterested, poll suggests​

Australia’s love affair with the Melbourne Cup appears to be waning, with a new survey finding more than half have “low” or “no interest” in the race that traditionally stops the nation.

Amid growing support for the Nup to the Cup movement, the latest Guardian Essential poll also suggests almost half of those surveyed (45%) believe it promotes “unhealthy” gambling behaviour, with a third (34%) saying it normalises animal cruelty.

Ahead of Tuesday’s cup day at Flemington, the poll finds about three-quarters of people (72%) believe the Melbourne Cup is a “unique part of Australia’s national identity”, which is down six percentage points since 2019, despite being up from 67% when the question was asked last year.
C’mon Melbourne, we can love sport without fawning over a predatory horse race | Anna Spargo-Ryan

Overall, 15% say they have a high interest in Tuesday’s race, with 31% showing moderate interest, 24% low interest and 28% no interest.

The findings come amid falling attendance numbers for the race – even before the past two years of Covid restrictions – and a backlash to horse fatalities that prompted a review by Racing Victoria.

But despite the dwindling allure of the Cup, the survey shows that a growing number of people still intend to place a bet, including those who do not consider themselves regular gamblers.

Of the 1,038 people surveyed, 47% of people intend to place a bet on Tuesday’s race, including 56% of males and 39% of females, up from 36% last year and 42% in 2020.

About a third of those polled (34%) say they will not watch the race and will not place a bet, with women and those over the age of 55 the least likely to tune in and gamble at 40% and 41% respectively.

Green and independent voters are most likely to be concerned by gambling and animal cruelty linked to the cup, while almost half of all Labor voters (47%) believe it promotes unhealthy gambling compared to 37% of Coalition voters. The gap is narrower when it comes to animal cruelty concerns, with just 34% of Labor voters and 30% of Coalition voters saying it is an issue.

Maybe some day, far into the future, we'll be able to consign this s**t to the dustbin of history.

Interest in Melbourne Cup slips with more than half of Australians uninterested, poll suggests​

Maybe some day, far into the future, we'll be able to consign this s**t to the dustbin of history.

No surprise from the left rag… had a ball at the cup yesterday, my first time going, think i might go back next year.

Even money North are well in the dustbin before the cup goes.

I wonder if there's anything in Australia where "more than half of Australians uninterested" isn't true? The same survey outcome could be: Melbourne Cup still Australia's most popular sporting event.

Even parliament, voting, taxes, I can't think of anything which "more than half of Australians would be interested"

Maybe a Bunnings Sausage sizzle fundraiser.

Numbers continue to fall 👍

1,024,000 tuned in to watch as Gold Trip and jockey Mark Zahra took the Melbourne Cup win. Viewers on 10 Play saw the Melbourne Cup race average 152,000 live stream viewers – it was 10 Play’s biggest live stream audience of 2022.

This was down on the 2021 race, which was watched by 1,213,000. The 2020 race was watched by 1,410,000.

I wonder if there's anything in Australia where "more than half of Australians uninterested" isn't true? The same survey outcome could be: Melbourne Cup still Australia's most popular sporting event.

Even parliament, voting, taxes, I can't think of anything which "more than half of Australians would be interested"

Maybe a Bunnings Sausage sizzle fundraiser.

It's well and good to have the "too big to fail" belief right now but I can't see any reason these numbers will rise again when the prime base seems to be mostly older, white boomers. Was only 15 years ago RU thriving, look at it now, is a fringe interest just about. And it's harder hide the stuff behind the curtain now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back