Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

lol oh lol its going away my friend. Its got 10 years , absolute MAX. Young people coming up arent putting up with this s**t let me tell you. Just need the old crusty old white man guard to drop off and NTTAWWT its gone. As it should be !
I'd say the youngsters bet WAY more on apps than the crusty old white men.

That's why there's sportsbet etc adds on every 5 sets angled at youngins. Get that next gen on board. "bet with mates!!"

As long as 18-30 y.o (mainly blokes) are betting it'll keep rolling along.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's why there's sportsbet etc adds on every 5 sets angled at youngins. Get that next gen on board. "bet with mates!!"

That's how they sucked people into smoking too, once they banned the advertising things started to change. Maybe we could tax winnings too? No punter ever gets lucky it's always their skill and knowledge that's seen them win, so tax it as income earned.

Last edited:

Im talking about the old utensil smokers that run and gatekeep the whole thing.

That's how they sucked people into smoking too, once they banned the advertising things started to change. Maybe we could tax winnings too? No punter ever gets lucky it's always their skill and knowledge that's seen them win, so tax it as income earned.

If you are a pro punter then I'm pretty sure your net winnings get taxed.

For the rest of us, we pay the tax too, they are called losings. 😂

When animals die so that people can have a bet, get s**tfaced and dress to the nines, people have every right to complain.
You've obviously never seen horse-racing outside of the Spring Carnival. Go to a local meeting in the bush (not a Cup day) and just watch people watch horse racing, with families, you can even go and pet the horses. I guess being from agricultural areas, they're the kind of people who see animals beyond just companionship.

I worry a lot more about crowd behaviour around my kids at the AFL (including local footy) or cricket than I do at the races.

lol oh lol its going away my friend. Its got 10 years , absolute MAX. Young people coming up arent putting up with this s**t let me tell you. Just need the old crusty old white man guard to drop off and NTTAWWT its gone. As it should be !
Maybe the Saints boys should buy a horse.
Help fill the void.
Winning at Flemington is up there.
Screenshot_20221107-095513_Chrome.jpg ź

In effect that has already happened. Very, very few win any more - as in even much fewer than ever did. The taxes on betting are now huge, they’ve taken away the margin and bookies have been forced to pass it on.

A lot of punters have gotten out of it and are now taking out bookies licenses instead. You just can’t beat the market percentages.

In effect that has already happened. Very, very few win any more - as in even much fewer than ever did. The taxes on betting are now huge, they’ve taken away the margin and bookies have been forced to pass it on.

A lot of punters have gotten out of it and are now taking out bookies licenses instead. You just can’t beat the market percentages.
Everybody with insurance is gambling with a private company taking a big margin. The worst thing about insurance is that you're betting against yourself remaining healthy.

I would guess that about <2% of people at a race track any weekend are people with gambling problems. I hate the pokies with a passion, but I don't dislike gambling.

Really?

You clearly haven't been at Caulfield or Flemington the past few weeks.

Really?

You clearly haven't been at Caulfield or Flemington the past few weeks.

Yes, the first Spring Carnival large numbers of people can attend since 2019. Obviously representative of how wider society likes or dislike horse racing.

They've sold it as an social event to dress up and attend. How many of those people actually give a toss about the horse racing on the day, let alone any other day of the year?

You are smart enough to understand the concept of choice I would have thought.

You know, something that entrants in the London Marathon have and racehorses, on the other hand, don't. Or do you think they choose to get made into pet food?

One of the major horse racing trainers once said something along the lines of 'if you think you can get a 500kg horse to do something it doesn't want to do, then good luck'.

Chautauqua was probably the best example of this.

And if you think racing greyhounds don't like running around a track, go down to the next Whippets family day down at Sandown Greyhound Track and see for yourself. Most of those Whippets are absolutely beside themselves with excitement to get out on the track and they are competing for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the major horse racing trainers once said something along the lines of 'if you think you can get a 500kg horse to do something it doesn't want to do, then good luck'.

And if you think racing greyhounds don't like running around a track, go down to the next Whippets family day down at Sandown Greyhound Track and see for yourself. Most of those Whippets are absolutely beside themselves with excitement to get out on the track and they are competing for nothing.
Agreed 100%.

Palaeontologists have found evidence going back 20,000 years where both horses and greyhounds actually organised thier own race meetings before humans got smart enough to do it for gambling reasons.

Case closed.

I think if anyone here is qualified to talk about this topic it's you (no idea how you're able to post with hooves though)

Not to mention the fact he died 6 years ago...

I got to go see him a few years before he passed at the ripe old age of whatever he was. Gave him a few carrots in his retirement paddock which he gladly accepted.

I was too young at the time he was racing to win any money but it didn't stop me following and cheering for him.

I got to go see him a few years before he passed at the ripe old age of whatever he was. Gave him a few carrots which he gladly accepted.

I was too young at the time he was racing to win any money but it didn't stop me following and cheering for him.
Was a great era of horse racing.

Cox Plate winner in 1990, and the 1992 Cox Plate where he was runner-up to Super Impose is generally regarded as the strongest Cox Plate field in history.

Yes, the first Spring Carnival large numbers of people can attend since 2019. Obviously representative of how wider society likes or dislike horse racing.

They've sold it as an social event to dress up and attend. How many of those people actually give a toss about the horse racing on the day, let alone any other day of the year?
To an extent, does that matter?

If said persons would object to the cancellation of the event, does it matter that they don't really watch the races more superficially?

To an extent, does that matter?

If said persons would object to the cancellation of the event, does it matter that they don't really watch the races more superficially?

Would they object to the gambling being removed from the industry? Take gambling out of racing and it would cease to exist in any major form IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back