Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

its not about a brain but consciousness which is only a subset of the brain. Humans have the most advanced level of consciousness. plants have none. fish have virtually none. mammals are in between humans and fish. thus fish closer to plants then humans in consciousness terms.
You say fish have virtually none but how do you actually know? Where is your citation for this?

Er no radical ideas about the sport of running horses, but the whipping of horses in races is something I would
rather didn't happen. Not that it is cruel as such as horses have such thick hides and can handle things.

But I would have thought that we have evolved enough to establish more productive means of encouragement for
getting horses to 'do our bidding'.

the little blokes/gals on the back are equipped enough with heels and voices and so on to not need this small needle like
piece of paraphernalia and well I know it is like having a spur on a cowboy boot and well they can encourage it as well.

I dislike them both. Tell me otherwise because although I know that horses are very sturdy and can handle these pinpoint
irritations, I just wonder if we can do without these things unless it is for unruly cows/bulls or other obvious disasters.

Er no radical ideas about the sport of running horses, but the whipping of horses in races is something I would
rather didn't happen. Not that it is cruel as such as horses have such thick hides and can handle things.

But I would have thought that we have evolved enough to establish more productive means of encouragement for
getting horses to 'do our bidding'.

the little blokes/gals on the back are equipped enough with heels and voices and so on to not need this small needle like
piece of paraphernalia and well I know it is like having a spur on a cowboy boot and well they can encourage it as well.

I dislike them both. Tell me otherwise because although I know that horses are very sturdy and can handle these pinpoint
irritations, I just wonder if we can do without these things unless it is for unruly cows/bulls or other obvious disasters.

Yeah the whips should go. I believe there's an argument to keep them for the safety of the jockey (to help control a crazed horse), but I think they should ban the actual use of them in a non-emergency situation.

It's a strange one. I like horse racing for the stories and hourneys the horses are on. Like Winx for example. But what doesn't sit right with me in the back of my head is the fact that most of these horses are forced to run long distances for our entertainment. Not to mention the whips. There must be some horses that enjoy running flat out and the attention surely but that's something I always think about. On the other side they probably get looked after and treated well, better than if they weren't racing horses.

No one asked you to participate in this sport, so carry on. Racing happens somewhere in the world every day of the year yet it only bothers you during Melbourne Cup week ??

Yeah, amazing this was about to drop off the page.

The brave warriors have had their annual “I’m different!” fap opportunity and forgotten about it again for another year.

20,000 races in Australia each year, 3rd largest employing industry in the country, yet you’d swear it doesn’t exist...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no evidence of any human society ever consuming solely plants as food.
Well it's a fairly new concept which started quietly in India about 2000 years ago and only really becomming popular around 1845 in the US and Europe.

Also, People who cant go "Vegan" is pure crap, Unless you have apretty bad Nickel Deficiency

However will say, I imagine it would completely ******* suck if you had a nut allergy or Celiac disease

I'm no fan of racing and find jump races particularly troubling. I'm not convinced that 'cruel' is a fair description of what is an industry though. I have seen David Hayes' state-of-the-art set-up at Euroa and the horses are really well cared for there and appear very content. And as an industry it does employ truckloads of people, both directly and indirectly.

Was totally disgusted and felt physically sick watching horses abused and tortured before being killed slowly and inhumanely. Time to ban horse racing.The industry including the TAB is based on greed and money at animals expense.If i want to bet ill stick to sports, I gave up betting on greyhounds 5 years ago because the slow dogs get shot in the head and put in mass graves

Just listening to RSN horse racing radio and surprise surprise not one mention. Danial Harford needs his advertising revenue, money, greed, money.

It doesn't get much sleazier. An industry dependant on gambling, alcohol, and animal cruelty.

When I regretfully attended a couple of races many years ago, it was just low IQ bogans in cheap suits getting hammered and punching on. People pissing and rooting in public after the fact. For an industry that bills itself as being "classy".

Let consenting adults drink and gamble, but leave the animals out of it. Replace the Melbourne Cup with a motorsport or a music festival or something.

I go back and forth on the issue a bit. There's a lot of misinformation out there about the "casualties" of horse racing (for example, the tweet posted earlier about 15000 horses being killed for not being fast enough...fake news). I know several people who have been involved in the industry, working directly with the horses, and they LOVE the animals. These are people who I know would not stand for the mistreatment of animals in their presence. They have a bond with the horses they are working with, and the horses feel that bond, too. I'm sure a lot of owners are just thinking about the money or prestige of owning a champion, but the people actually close to the animals generally seem to be animal lovers who care greatly for the horses.

If you're worried about cruelty to horses, there are thousands of "pet" horses that are not receiving proper food, care or stimulation, standing around in paddocks all over the country. Help those ones first.

It's kind of like having a pet. Your animal that you choose from the pound is no doubt lived and well looked after. It's the ones that don't make it that are our problem.

The number that are killed (be it trace horses, show horses, potential pets) needs to be kept down, and it needs to be done humanely. And when it isn't, it needs to be called out and the people punished for it.

The industry doesn't destroy the animals. It's is a private enterprise pursued by the owner(s).

This is true. And as you mentioned, the majority in the industry love and care for the animals.

But.

The rouge element is significant enough, and the industry powerful enough, for the industry to take a leadership role on this matter. They can really make a difference, and ought to, in my opinion.

Money, money ,money, greed, greed, corporate advertising, TAB, jiggers, cobalt, Peter Moody is a filthy drug cheat crook, Darren Weir tortures horses, jockeys bet on races, crims launder money, money ,money ,money,breed 100 horses and send the slow ones to get slaughtered and tortured.Apprentice female jockeys sexually harrassed, jockeys killed all the time.What a great industry!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back