Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets ban Horse Racing!
Lets ban the dairy industry!
Lets ban the slaughter of pig's!
Lets ban the slaughter of sheep!
Lets ban the treatment and slaughter of Chickens!
Lets ban the treatment of Turkeys!
Lets ban Fishing!
Lets ban aged care due to the abuse of our Elders!

Well that was a well constructed argument.

All of the posters so far arguing against it have provided articulated responses based on logic and some sense of compassion.

Everyone arguing for it just screeches "Mah freedoms!!!1"

Lets ban Horse Racing!
Lets ban Fishing!
Lets ban *-wits who can't tell the difference between a societal need (eating) and abusing for the fun of it!!

Well that was a well constructed argument.

All of the posters so far arguing against it have provided articulated responses based on logic and some sense of compassion.

Everyone arguing for it just screeches "Mah freedoms!!!1"

Actually was not an argument on my behalf,
Perhaps I could have used better wording?
Or started a thread are wars Cruel but that would be getting away from the debate.
In closing Life in general is cruel (think about it)

Lets ban Horse Racing!
Lets ban Fishing!

Aged care doesn't rely on the abuse of elders.

Actually was not an argument on my behalf,
Perhaps I could have used better wording?
Or started a thread are wars Cruel but that would be getting away from the debate.
In closing Life in general is cruel (think about it)
Life in general is cruel.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't work to make it less cruel.

If there are forms of cruelty that are unnecessary or avoidable, why shouldn't we stop them?

That the world will never be perfect isn't a justification for us not making it better.

Either that or study up on my brain surgery degree, or perhaps rearrange the stamps in my stamp albums, likely though i will just eat the pizza from last night.

Don't forget to trim your neckbeard.

I'm confused, Ron. Have you forgotten that you were trying to defend and justify the industry?

It is what it is, nothing is all good or all bad. I'm sure I've posted somewhere that I wouldn't recommend gambling to someone who hasn't indulged. If all you see in thoroughbred racing is the gambling, it's probably not going to be healthy for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Bank Executive, a horse trainer and Dan Murphy are all together and someone, yes someone has to be shot.

Who gets shot ?.

Can we stop this BS that commercial farmers and horse racing owners love their animals. It's so disingenuous. They love their animals like a shop owner loves his stock of boxes of cornflakes.

You can't watch lambs or calfs playing in a field and then send them off to be slaughtered if you love your animals.

I've always thought horse racing to be a tad dodgy. Any pursuit in which there allegedly exists, 'inside information', will not be the recipient of my money. The underlying premise has its equal in the inevitable outcome of betting on poker machines - one cannot win. None of which stops imbeciles from thinking they're having a fair bet, in controlled circumstances.

Lets ban Horse Racing!
Lets ban Fishing!
What they’re really saying is “Lets ban humanity!”

Aged care doesn't rely on the abuse of elders.
tbf a high % of people who work in the racing industry are animal lovers and treat the horses extremely well. The problem is like with life in general those good stories are not glamorous to report about in the media, the negative stories are.

Similar to the age care industry

On an overall level horse racing is no more cruel than domesticating animals and keeping them as pets. In majority of the cases the animals are treated as well as humans and in a small percentage of cases they are treated badly. Kind of sums up life in general tbh

tbf a high % of people who work in the racing industry are animal lovers and treat the horses extremely well. The problem is like with life in general those good stories are not glamorous to report about in the media, the negative stories are.

Similar to the age care industry

On an overall level horse racing is no more cruel than domesticating animals and keeping them as pets. In majority of the cases the animals are treated as well as humans and in a small percentage of cases they are treated badly. Kind of sums up life in general tbh
I think the big issue is the industry downplaying just how many bad actors lurking around racing.

Can we stop this BS that commercial farmers and horse racing owners love their animals. It's so disingenuous. They love their animals like a shop owner loves his stock of boxes of cornflakes.

One of the most heartbreaking things I've seen in sport happened at Caulfield, spring of 1989 or 90. A feature race for mares contained a Perth horse with a very good record. Can't recall the name, might've been Pacific something. The horse must've broken down past the finish line; I'm watching through binoculars from the top of the grandstand and there's a young guy in a suit, beside himself with grief, running this way and that. He must've been told by the vets that his horse needed to be euthanased since the screen was being put up. The gun must've come out, because the guy ran away and put his hands over his ears, so as not to hear the shot. The gun went off and he turned and ran back; the screen parted slightly to allow him entry and he threw himself down on the body of the horse.

It was like watching a very sad silent movie, all the more poignant because the rest of the crowd seemed oblivious, and brought home how much the horses mean to (some of) their owners like nothing else could've.

One of the most heartbreaking things I've seen in sport happened at Caulfield, spring of 1989 or 90. A feature race for mares contained a Perth horse with a very good record. Can't recall the name, might've been Pacific something. The horse must've broken down past the finish line; I'm watching through binoculars from the top of the grandstand and there's a young guy in a suit, beside himself with grief, running this way and that. He must've been told by the vets that his horse needed to be euthanased since the screen was being put up. The gun must've come out, because the guy ran away and put his hands over his ears, so as not to hear the shot. The gun went off and he turned and ran back; the screen parted slightly to allow him entry and he threw himself down on the body of the horse.

It was like watching a very sad silent movie, all the more poignant because the rest of the crowd seemed oblivious, and brought home how much the horses mean to (some of) their owners like nothing else could've.
It's like the last sane day of Nietzsche.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back