Society/Culture Horse racing is cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised Weir’s court appearance on cruelty charges has been practically overlooked, but then we wouldn’t want to damage the local film industry.

I remember years ago they were finding 100s of them with their ears cut off.

I was working afternoon shift at Barwon prison about 10 or so years ago.

Day shift had all gone home so our carpark was pretty much empty. I was up in the control room watching a camera as a station wagon pulled up under a tree towing one of those greyhound trailers. A bloke got out and took his dog's out 1 at a time and was tubing them (we weren't all that far from Beckley Park greyhound track). I rang the stewards on course and gave them a description and rego number, they knew who it was. I looked up the stewards report the next day, there were no late scratchings or mentions of any penalties.

The numbers of "disappeared" dogs is disgusting. A former partner of mine used to be part of a volunteer animal rights group that would track stewards reports for injuries and then try to keep track of what happened to those dogs. It was miserable work. The numbers of dogs getting injured and then never being seen again was ridiculous.

We rescued a greyhound who had been dumped after a short racing career, won one race, fast as hell, but just inconsistent with how commited she was to hitting top speed. Basically a typical lazy greyhound. She was shortly before being put down before we got her but she got another six years of life, mostly spent taking up our entire couch.

She was one of the lucky few. Over the last decade you are talking in the hundreds of thousands of dogs in Australia that did not get that chance. There is no way to rehome that many dogs.

Many are disposed of as you described, ears cut off to remove the identifying tattoo, and just dumped. That is probably not as bad an end as the ones who get sent to Macau to keep racing. I wouldn't want to be trying to keep track of animal treatment standards there.

It is bullshit for people to say "you can't stop the industry, there are too many animals in it, so many would be killed". The horse and dog racing industry are already killing tens of thousands of animals a year because they aren't fast enough. If you don't stop the cycle of structurally required overbreeding to find the fastest animals which leads to a necessary surplus "wastage" then you are just perpetuating that mistreatment and death ad infinitum. A sudden end to these industries would be a major animal rights challenge, but one that has to be faced.

Last edited:
You still watch tv???

I dont think ive watched tv since the early 2000s. There is this thing called the internet, downloading and streaming.

No one watches tv with ads anymore.

I watch TV for cricket and AFL and not really anything else.

Adam Goodes showing up at the races today was a great illustration of industry hypocrisy. Moralise all you like, as long as you support the gambling, drinking and animal abuse.
What is wrong with drinking?

Seriously you must not have kids. I would go insane without a drink at the end of the day after we put the kids to bed.

Just because some people cant control themselves doesnt mean you have to ruin it for everybody else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously you must not have kids. I would go insane without a drink at the end of the day after we put the kids to bed.

Just because some people cant control themselves doesnt mean you have to ruin it for everybody else.
There's something wrong with shoving it down everyone's throats with relentless advertising, particularly targeted towards youth. It's at least as harmful as cigarettes, which was removed from advertising.

As someone who in my younger years was a big drinker, I not once had a drink at the end of the day because I had a tough day, I'd have a drink at the end of the day just because I liked getting on it. My wife will have one at the end of the day after she's had a tough one, I've just never got it.

As someone who in my younger years was a big drinker, I not once had a drink at the end of the day because I had a tough day, I'd have a drink at the end of the day just because I liked getting on it. My wife will have one at the end of the day after she's had a tough one, I've just never got it.
My kids are more annoying then most.

You still watch tv???

I dont think ive watched tv since the early 2000s. There is this thing called the internet, downloading and streaming.

No one watches tv with ads anymore.

You haven't watched a football game for 15 years?

It causes so many health problems, as well as violence, child abuse, addiction, driving accidents, the list goes on.
That doesnt suggest it as harmful as cigarettes

Cigarettes are far far more addictive.

Alcohol doesnt cause violence or child abuse. It just reduces inhibitions. This is as much a source of benefit as it is a source of harm. Alcohol also actually tastes good and brings joy and good memories. Cigarettes dont do any of that. They are just a source of pain relief from a craving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back