Review All Things Horse Racing

Remove this Banner Ad

Gonna put my money on Marmelo again this year with something on Yucatan.
Best of luck is main message.
Trust your own form analysis.

4 out of 5 ain’t bad :D

You don't think ventura will run a good race?

Been pretty good since he was gelded I reckon. Cup is his big target.

Could be one out of the box.

I have this nagging voice in my head saying "magic circle" but I just don't like the fact he's had no lead up.

ARGH. I had the same voice in my head about Prince of penzance and we all know how that worked out. I didn't bloody back it!

Geez I hate Melbourne cup time. My mind just doesn't stop when it comes to the big one.

Gonna have fun doing my form tonight for the other races and just forget about the cup for a bit.

You don't think ventura will run a good race?

Been pretty good since he was gelded I reckon. Cup is his big target.

Could be one out of the box.
You might be right ofcourse; but just don’t see it myself.
He’s your nice group 2 horse for mine.
But certainly is well trained.
Just don’t see him Having that extra class to challenge.

But stick to your judgment because that’s the way to go.

I have this nagging voice in my head saying "magic circle" but I just don't like the fact he's had no lead up.

ARGH. I had the same voice in my head about Prince of penzance and we all know how that worked out. I didn't bloody back it!

Geez I hate Melbourne cup time. My mind just doesn't stop when it comes to the big one.

Gonna have fun doing my form tonight for the other races and just forget about the cup for a bit.
The Melbourne Cup is something well worth getting a head spin about; my favourite day each year.

:)

Seems like most of the recent money has been on Magic Circle with Yucatan drifting. Since the Herbert Power I've been all over Yucutan. I jumped on Protectionist in 2014 after the Herbert Power and that was nowhere as impressive as Yucutan's. Obviously this is a tough race to pick but I can't go past Yucutan and I got on early so got a nice price.

Seems like most of the recent money has been on Magic Circle with Yucatan drifting. Since the Herbert Power I've been all over Yucutan. I jumped on Protectionist in 2014 after the Herbert Power and that was nowhere as impressive as Yucutan's. Obviously this is a tough race to pick but I can't go past Yucutan and I got on early so got a nice price.
That’s the great interest using Protectionist v Yucatan.

Was it the nice trial by Protectionist then the big great run Cup Day?

Or will Yucatan double with 2 great runs or did he peak with the big run a few weeks back?
Did he stop a bit too quick when eased?
Did the tempo allow him as a better galloper put those distances on the field

Or is this all just looking to deny the obvious that Yucatan is the big player tomorrow?

I have this nagging voice in my head saying.
Well at least you’re not married or the nagging voice would also be next to you

:D

That’s the great interest using Protectionist v Yucatan.

Was it the nice trial by Protectionist then the big great run Cup Day?

Or will Yucatan double with 2 great runs or did he peak with the big run a few weeks back?
Did he stop a bit too quick when eased?
Did the tempo allow him as a better galloper put those distances on the field

Or is this all just looking to deny the obvious that Yucatan is the big player tomorrow?

Even though he didn't win, for me Protectionist seemed to change gears in the last few hundred meters and finished at a really impressive speed. In the Cup he had the same change of gear and with the extra distance he won easily. Yucatan just blew the field away including A Prince of Arran that I backed on Saturday for a good win. He did ease off in the end but the jockey was quoted as saying that he had a lot of run left and if he pushed they would have increased the lead by even further. I think he has the extra distance and I'm not overly concerned with the barrier. The tempo is a concern as that seems to be very inconsistent recently between races. He also may have peaked as you said and won't be able to replicate however to me he is a worthy favourite and I think he will do it.

Even though he didn't win, for me Protectionist seemed to change gears in the last few hundred meters and finished at a really impressive speed. In the Cup he had the same change of gear and with the extra distance he won easily. Yucatan just blew the field away including A Prince of Arran that I backed on Saturday for a good win. He did ease off in the end but the jockey was quoted as saying that he had a lot of run left and if he pushed they would have increased the lead by even further. I think he has the extra distance and I'm not overly concerned with the barrier. The tempo is a concern as that seems to be very inconsistent recently between races. He also may have peaked as you said and won't be able to replicate however to me he is a worthy favourite and I think he will do it.
I'm in the Yucatan corner as well, but not overly concerned about the pace - Runaway will go forward & probably lead and the likes of Ace High & Rostropovich will push forward too, so there should be enough pace.
Yucatan's win in the Herbert Power was the most impressive Cups lead up I've ever seen.... seeing is believing IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So well summed up.

In my top 2.

Seeing is believing - demolition job in Herbert Power.
Worthy favourite.

I’m sticking to my long range forecast but can see Yucatan win quite comfortably.

Would also be the first Cup winner that’s name starts with “Y”.

Yucatan was pulled up like that to avoid a weight penalty.
Not correct. Was eased down just not to over tax him as had race at his mercy.
The quick stop probably surprised JMac.

They absolutely wanted a Penalty that day. Needed it desperately that day to ensure it was in Cup field.

Besides those tactics don’t trick seasoned handicappers, they know all the tricks.

Yucatan has ended up 16th or so in ballot order or that’s 8 spots to the good.

If he got no penalty at all he’d miss the field as final field would show.

He got 2.5kg penalty and he has 1.5kg to spare BUT if he got just the 1kg he’d have missed on prizemoney so in reality he had 1kg to spare.

Ofcourse he could have run in Lexus and won that.

But penalty was essential.

Yucatan's win in the Herbert Power was the most impressive Cups lead up I've ever seen.... seeing is believing IMO.
Yucatan was as good a Cup trial as you’d see.

Might And Power demolition in Caulfield Cup (much stronger race too than Herbert Power) was equally as good

Let’s Elope in McKinnon was paralysing.

Empire Rise in McKinnon was paralysing.

They the best of Cup trials.

Brutally efficient and stamped them as having the Cup at their mercy.

Incidentally the “best non trial” or equivalent above was Francis Of Assisi demolition of the Queen Elizabeth at the end of the carnival a few years back.

16 and a half hour and all will be revealed ...

7 hours or so and it will all be on.

Rain to come and go, looks like not much ongoing rain and it's dispersing.

Might be just ok.

Natural water is always better for a track than irrigation.

Always back a grey in the wet my grandpa used to say.
Muntahaa is a grey for what it’s worth and a real chance too

Soft 5 here at Flemington.

Looking forward to a great day.

Soft 6

Heavy 8!

Take note.

Good luck folks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back