Analysis Horse's Untouchable

Remove this Banner Ad

Note the David Kingesque Title, he would of spent days coming up with that.

Every week we speculate on the bloody sub, personally I hate the rule. So far this year I have been surprised by the sub 3/4 weeks and two of them Lloyd and Rohan i was baffled by.

So right now on current form who should never be sub, who is untouchable, Obviously form fluctuates and things change but right now ill start it off in no order with a few who SHOULD NEVER BE SUB

1- Buddy- imagine the meltdown if he were sub, carries the side half the time
2- Pyke- see Mark Seaby round 1 2011
3- Tippett- see Mark Seaby round 1 2011
4- Richards and 5 Grundy- well derr
5- Lloyd- he can kick, he gets the ball, he is too good to be sub with his foot skills
6- Rohan- can go forward or back and right now he is a massive part of the forward line i liked the 2 smaller 2 tall set up, but dont take both smalls away Horse
7- Kennedy - we want to win a clearance

there are more but thats a start

From the thread title I thought this was going to be about players that would never, ever be dropped

1 - Sam Reid
2 - Jarrad McVeigh
3 - Kieren Jack

Lloyd probably is too valuable at the moment to be considered as sub. I have no problem with any of Rohan, Towers, Laidler, Heeney, Goodes, being used as sub. At the end of the day it all depends on matchups & fitness levels

And since when has Rohan been such an invaluable member of the team that the sub role is deemed beneath him? It seems like that opinion was formed with the value of hindsight following his efforts against Freo.

This board is always going to bitch about the choice of sub. If the sub goes well, then the complaint will be that he should have started and played the majority of the match. If the sub doesn't go well, then it's obvious it was a bad choice and the player wasn't suited to the substitute role because he is too old/young/tall/short/slow/can't kick/not versatile enough.

Lloyd probably is too valuable at the moment to be considered as sub. I have no problem with any of Rohan, Towers, Laidler, Heeney, Goodes, being used as sub. At the end of the day it all depends on matchups & fitness levels

And since when has Rohan been such an invaluable member of the team that the sub role is deemed beneath him? It seems like that opinion was formed with the value of hindsight following his efforts against Freo.

Its only my view that his current role in the forward line deems he should not be sub now

Its a rolling list he may well drop back off it. (again just my view)

This board is always going to bitch about the choice of sub. If the sub goes well, then the complaint will be that he should have started and played the majority of the match. If the sub doesn't go well, then it's obvious it was a bad choice and the player wasn't suited to the substitute role because he is too old/young/tall/short/slow/can't kick/not versatile enough.

Yes and?

Towers would seem to fit. Can play a few roles, is quick, but may not have enough "impact". I hate the sub rule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the form of the last 10 matches & due to his inability to perform adequately for 4 Qs carrying an injury &/or tag, then the perfect person for the sub until he finds consistency again would be Kieran Jack!

Yeah I know he is our Captain but seriously, who cares if at this moment in time, he isn't at his best.

Your thoughts?

On the form of the last 10 matches & due to his inability to perform adequately for 4 Qs carrying an injury &/or tag, then the perfect person for the sub until he finds consistency again would be Kieran Jack!

Yeah I know he is our Captain but seriously, who cares if at this moment in time, he isn't at his best.

Your thoughts?

Not against it given the form of others

Your thoughts?

He's one of our captains, can be replaced.

I wouldn't want to drop him but i feel if he is carrying something or is not coping with a tag then being the sub a few weeks in a row can sharpen him up with a quick burst.

You being serious mate?

It was a bit tongue in cheek to intimate sacking Longmire but if you are happy with the way he sets up the forward structure continually allowing a spare, Franklin to be 2 outed sometimes 3 and wasting the forward arsenal he has at his disposal then that is you prerogative I guess. I for one am sick of watching other teams going inside 50 with options to kick at in comparison to us only having Franklin with 2 blokes hanging off him. Posters on here who have continually lamented the fact we continually go to Franklin when he is outnumbered do not realise that most of the time Buddy and the 2 leeches hanging off him are the only players ahead of the footy. Of course they are going to kick to him.

I think it is a poor structure and also poor coaching. We are not a skilled enough side to enter the 50 cleanly without pressure let alone having the extra burden of being held up behind half forward or through the middle with no options forward of the ball. Hanneberry getting caught cold in the middle late in the last qtr underlined it. Momentum handed back to Freo and game over. Is it just pure coincidence that when Franklin and Tippett are both inside 50 with even numbers we can score heavily and bloody quickly ? This type of Swans footy is an irresistible force and better than anything that any of our competitors can produce. The other crap when executed poorly or under great pressure from a good team is bottom 4 quality. My opinion only.

I think it is a poor structure and also poor coaching. We are not a skilled enough side to enter the 50 cleanly without pressure let alone having the extra burden of being held up behind half forward or through the middle with no options forward of the ball. Hanneberry getting caught cold in the middle late in the last qtr underlined it. Momentum handed back to Freo and game over. Is it just pure coincidence that when Franklin and Tippett are both inside 50 with even numbers we can score heavily and bloody quickly ? This type of Swans footy is an irresistible force and better than anything that any of our competitors can produce. The other crap when executed poorly or under great pressure from a good team is bottom 4 quality. My opinion only.

I think you're spot on with this, but the problem is Tippett has had to ruck as well. Can Pyke ruck a whole game by himself, and if not, what do we do about it? The question is partly rhetorical, because I don't know the answer myself, the one thing I do know is we need two key forwards inside 50.

I think this is why we need Reid in the team ... when I say that I mean the Reid that played in the second half against Freo. If he can reproduce that form, then we are looking good.

I'm not sure. I think talk of his demise has been somewhat exaggerated. He has been doing alright, but Grim put up a stat a couple of weeks ago that showed Tippett has been doing a fair bit more than 10% of the ruckwork. So maybe they are trying to reduce Pyke's workload.

I'm not sure. I think talk of his demise has been somewhat exaggerated. He has been doing alright, but Grim put up a stat a couple of weeks ago that showed Tippett has been doing a fair bit more than 10% of the ruckwork. So maybe they are trying to reduce Pyke's workload

I don't think Pyke has been poor he just hasn't been good. :confused:

One thing he does bring is effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back