Toast HOT Pies FROZE the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one amazed by the u-turn of our kicking skills?

We're currently ranked #1 for disposal efficiency at 74.4% - never thought I'd see that!

Even in MM's days, it was more about the pressure and contested footy than kicking skills. Goodbye Travis Cloke, hello Hoskin-Elliot!

Can clearly see now what Bucks has been trying to build - a team of Buckleys! Gun runners who can kick!

Same Here.

Never thought we be the best Ball Users in the Comp. Normally the Opposite

For Scharenberg or Langdon?
It doesn’t have to be one of them two.

As long as there is a match up there shouldnt be any worry about being to small or tall.

Put Moore in, for say Greenwood? Lynden still plays on Hogan, Moore goes to Mcdonald and Scharenberg goes to Pederson who he definitely isn’t to small or tall for, and most likely could have picked up 20-30 disposals with the lack of Mcdonald pressure.

Scharenberg is more ideal 3rd tall, and is just boring forced to play tall similar to Josh Gibson when he was at Hawthorn.

When he was good, he was very, very good, and when he was bad, he was horrid. Easily his worst game of the year, which left me questioning my change of heart following his recent run of successes. Can only hope it's an aberration.
He got tagged out of the game. He is. Sub 100 game player. Not hard to tag out of the game. Give him a break.

It doesn’t have to be one of them two.

As long as there is a match up there shouldnt be any worry about being to small or tall.

Put Moore in, for say Greenwood? Lynden still plays on Hogan, Moore goes to Mcdonald and Scharenberg goes to Pederson who he definitely isn’t to small or tall for, and most likely could have picked up 20-30 disposals with the lack of Mcdonald pressure.

Scharenberg is more ideal 3rd tall, and is just boring forced to play tall similar to Josh Gibson when he was at Hawthorn.
I see that, but Melbourne often start McDonald on a wing, allowing for a smaller forward line. How would a tall backline match up on a team like Richmond with 1 designated tall?

That was our best win for a long long time. Way better than the Adelaide win where we beat a depleted side who in hidsight are not nearly as good as they were last year. Way better than the come from behind against Hawthorn last year when we were terrible for a half and they probably stopped. Way better than the early season wins agaisnt slow starting Sydney over recent years. Those and other wins from the last 3 or 4 years belong in the context of those seasons. Every year ordinary sides catch better sides off guard or on a downer and we have been ordinary for a long time.

Melbourne were in form and you would have to assume primed for the occassion. We shocked them with our intensity and played with flair and skill they could not match. I'm not convinced we will match it against the best and Melbourne have again shown they are not in that catagory but for now we get 2 weeks to revel in a very very good performance and win and contemplate what we might be able to do to Carlton. Those f'rs wouldn't hesitate to bury us and dance on our grave. I hope we smash them.

Not sure. Would depend on injuries and matchups. May not be either.

I believe at some stage we may need more height down back. Too late to trial something new in finals.

We have really mixed things up this year. Players playing different roles from week to week. Adams, JDG and Thomas for example all having different roles at different times.

If Moore gets back on park I would give him a couple of games in the VFL as a CFB and then assuming reasonable form elevate him to the same position in the seniors.

Think we need to keep presenting something different to the opposition. You stay the same in this competion and sooner or later you go backwards.

This whole BS about us being a s**t skilled side over the yrs.. well look at us now.. most efficient in the league.

Goes to show.. the act of kicking/handballing is actually quite easy.. the game plan is everything..

This Klopp gegenpressing style of game where everyone is flying in trying to win the pill.. and everyone on the pitch can launch an attack.. f great re..

I see that, but Melbourne often start McDonald on a wing, allowing for a smaller forward line. How would a tall backline match up on a team like Richmond with 1 designated tall?
Richmond, has started naming Callum Moore in the forward pocket, at 193cm gives abit more height. Caddy at 186cm has been playing alot taller aswell.

Personally i’d go into this particular game with Scharenberg on Moore and Dunn on Riewoldt. However i think Scharenberg could be a decent much up for Caddy, with D.Moore and Dunn picking up Riewoldt and C.Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins destroyed us because Mick refused to move a clearly injured player off him.

Yes but shows what a big forward can do if you dont have a good matchup, fit or otherwise.

McDonald did similar yesterday.

It is easy to overlook a potential problem when you win. But a six goal game by a tall forward in a team that lost comprehensively should not be dismissed lightly. Our current defence is short and teams will look to exploit it.

Yes but shows what a big forward can do if you dont have a good matchup, fit or otherwise.

It is easy to overlook a potential problem when you win. But a six goal game by a tall forward in a team that lost comprehensively should not be dismissed lightly. Our current defence is short and teams will look to exploit it.
It wasn't a bad matchup it was no matchup - Reid was injured and clearly so - allowing the Hawk to do as he pleased

FFS I'm 5'6" and never kicked a footy over 20 meters and even I could have kicked a couple against Reid that day.

I'd go so far as to say my dear old mum who has been passed since 1990 and was only 5'2'' could have kicked a bag on him.

It wasn't a bad matchup it was no matchup - Reid was injured and clearly so - allowing the Hawk to do as he pleased

FFS I'm 5'6" and never kicked a footy over 20 meters and even I could have kicked a couple against Reid that day.

Forget 2011 it was not the point.

So how did our defence line up on McDonald yesterday. That is the point.

Answer - Poorly.

Potential solution - Moore to CHB.

We were given a warning yesterday. We should not ignore it.

I think that's the reality. Wins now are great. Making the finals would be great WInning one would be a bonus. It's what comes in the next 18 -24 months that gets me excited.
Let’s just win it this year.

Traditionally speaking I think you are spot on. But the way the game is being played now, there are less and less opportunities for one on one's with big key forwards. When they come to the ball carrier it is more the space in front of them that needs to be zoned- like against a Ben Brown or Josh Kennedy.

Against someone like Lynch who can kind of do both, we just have to make sure he doesn't get enough isolated one on one's. The likelihood that the second tall will get a lot of deep one on one's inside 50 is not that high, having said that we didn't manage the switch well yesterday. I think Howe and Dunn are the two that should play on someone like McDonald deep inside 50.

Forget 2011 it was not the point.

So how did our defence line up on McDonald yesterday. That is the point.

Answer - Poorly.

Potential solution - Moore to CHB.

We were given a warning yesterday. We should not ignore it.
Macca played a fine game and is the real deal but if you imagine you are going to cover every top player in every side every week you are in for a lifetime of disappointment Clay.

The real question is the stability of the back 6 which at the moment is immense.

YES Moore has the POTENTIAL to improve it's flexibility but that comes with a risk of destabilizing the balance.

Don't forget he is AT LEAST a month away and this group will have had a further 4 weeks playing together.

Match committees are notoriously loathe to disrupt a stable and performing back six as it's the foundation of any flag side so Moore will - IMHO - need to prove himself.

Even then it's a roll of the dice . . .

Though with that said I'm not against it in theory.

Just watched the replay again.

Go **** yourself Tim Watson you biased flog.
This dickhead should not be allowed commentate Pies games.
Stupid is as stupid does

Remove this Banner Ad

Back