screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
Double J will be playing the 2001 count this Sunday.

What did you vote for?
How would your votes change with 20 years of hindsight?

Last edited:
These were my votes at the time:

James - Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)
Neil Finn - Hole In The Ice
Arkarna - Rehab
TISM - If You're Not Famous at Fourteen, You're Finished
Guided By Voices - Chasing Heather Crazy
Ash - Burn Baby Burn
REM - Imitation of Life
Air - How Does It Make You Feel?
Radiohead - Pyramid Song
Muse - New Born

I actually think my list holds up pretty well still. Hole In The Ice is close to my favourite song of all time now, and there is nothing that stands out as cringey.
I might look at working Crystal by New Order in there, possibly New Slang or Know Your Onion (The Shins), and Johnny Appleseed by Joe Strummer is a notable omission, but there is not much I would change (which is unusual when looking at these lists 20 years on). May also have something to do with the fact that this was the point I started just voting for my ten favourite songs, rather than the ten of my faves that I thought had a chance of polling.

I think 2001 may be the only time all the songs I voted for made the top 100.

Cake - Short Skirt/Long Jacket
Garbage - Androgyny
Garbage - Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
New Order - 60 Miles an hour
New Order - Crystal
Placebo - Special K
The Strokes - Hard To Explain
The Strokes - New York City Cops
Weezer - Hash Pipe

one of my all time fav countdowns, so many great tunes and apart from Amazing winning, top 10 was brilliant

just found my votes, 12 year old me…

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
Crazy Town - Butterfly
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
Blink 182 - Man Overboard
System of a Down - Chop Suey!
Regurgitator - Fat Cop
Weezer - Island in the Sun
Sum 41 - Fat Lip
REM - Imitation of Life
Something for Kate - Monsters

that list is making me want to listen to this countdown in full, isn’t it on the Sunday, surely not clashing with the actual Hottest 100 on Saturday?

If I had to do a 10 today from the final Hottest 100, it would be (in rough order):

Schism - Tool
Amazing - Alex Lloyd
Knives Out - Radiohead
Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Thank You - Dido
Parabola - Tool
Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Since I Left You - The Avalanches
Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz
Special Ones - George

HM: Last Nite - The Strokes, Dust Me Selecta - Gerling, Little L - Jamiroquai

I think this might've been the first one I listened to live with friends. It was the first time I'd heard Tool (was aware of them but had no idea their sound). I remember that day I watched the women's final at the Australian Open (Capriati came from behind against Hingis in the heat), then went to the beach for a few hours (bit sandstormy), then came home in time for the top 20.

2001 is one of my favourite years for albums:

1. Vespertine (Bjork)
2. Confield (Autechre)
3. Amnesiac (Radiohead)
4. No More Shall We Part (Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds)
5. Aaliyah (Aaliyah)
6. Is This It? (The Strokes)
7. I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (Radiohead)
8. Lateralus (Tool)
9. Fever (Kylie Minogue)
10. Healing is Difficult (Sia)

HM: Just Me (Tina Arena), One Nil (Neil Finn), When Young Terrorists Chase the Sun (Gerling), beautifulgarbage (Garbage), Millennium Mambo (VA soundtrack)

Last edited:
Epic year. For me it's a Sophie's Choice between Missy Elliott's Get Ur Freak On and Roots Manuva's Witness (1 Hope), both signature hip-hop tracks that sound nothing like anything else even 20 years later. Surprised neither made the countdown.

My other faves at the time:

Michael Franti - Rock the Nation (#87)
Feliz da Houecat - Ready 2 Wear (DNP)
The Strokes - Hard to Explain (#59)
White Stripes - Same Boy You've Always Known (DNP)
Jamiroquai - You Give Me Something (#62)
BRMC - Love Burns (DNP)

Some fave 2001 tracks I've discovered in the years since:

Tool - The Grudge
Eve - Who's That Girl?
Bob Dylan - Po' Boy
Boz Scaggs - Thanks to You
Gorillaz - Every Planet We Reach is Dead
Jay-Z - U Don't Know
Lucinda Williams - Words Fell

Just great stuff coming out left and right in every genre.

not really sure about Roots Manuva but at the time Missy Elliott's sound wasn't really jjj-ish, as a whole Hip-Hop/Rap etc didn't really start getting decent airplay until Eminem in 2002, and from there more Aussie acts started getting pushed (Hilltop Hoods, The Herd, 360 etc) as well as international artists like OutKast and Kanye West a year on from that.

not really sure about Roots Manuva but at the time Missy Elliott's sound wasn't really jjj-ish, as a whole Hip-Hop/Rap etc didn't really start getting decent airplay until Eminem in 2002, and from there more Aussie acts started getting pushed (Hilltop Hoods, The Herd, 360 etc) as well as international artists like OutKast and Kanye West a year on from that.

I've always found it amusing how Gen X generally seem to bang on about how much better Triple J was in the 90s, when the station slept on such a significant genre that was happening in front of their eyes that decade.

Nas, The Notorious B.I.G., OutKast, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan, Gang Starr, Dr. Dre, Mos Def, Ice Cube, DJ Shadow, Mobb Deep, The Pharcyde, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg - all acts that released some of the most timeless and iconic songs of the 90s that Triple J missed since they were too busy pushing crap like Counting Crows, Bush, Everclear, Bloodhound Gang, Korn, Limp Bizkit & The Vaughans' Who Farted?....

Anyway, the 10 from 2001 I would vote for now (in alphabetical order, with songs that actually made the 2001 H100 in bold):

Daft Punk - Face To Face
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

Kylie Minogue - Love At First Sight
New Order - Crystal
Radiohead - Pyramid Song

Rammstein - Sonne
Roots Manuva - Witness (1 Hope)
The Shins - Caring Is Creepy
Tool - Lateralus

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back