Hottest 100 of 2020

They can only listen and respond to what the stations plays. If JJJ incorporate a lot of rubbish in their playlists the end result will be an average count.

The station has done a great job marketing themselves as the alternative option while fundamentally playing commercial-sounding music.
I don't get the logic though.

If the listeners can only listen and respond to what the station plays, then what do Triple J gain from playing it?
They're not getting advertising money...

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I don't get the logic though.

If the listeners can only listen and respond to what the station plays, then what do Triple J gain from playing it?
They're not getting advertising money...

The same reason mainstream stations play pop bangers and recognised artists like JLO and Maroon 5. Listeners respond far better to the familiar (the standardisation of the music, and the artists themselves), and there is typically a lack of discretion.

JJJ listeners aren’t particularly discerning, and as long as the music fits the usual aesthetics of the station (poppy, but different) it becomes a part of the rotation - and the race to the bottom has been happening for years.

JJJ is just ALDI Nova IMO.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Why do kids these days love their music to be so bland?

Used to be the younger generation's music was too loud/aggressive/inspiring/Satan worshippy for the oldies, now it's the complete opposite

LOL

Below is a great video that explains why mainstream music has changed for the worse and is so bland today. Watch!

The same reason mainstream stations play pop bangers and recognised artists like JLO and Maroon 5. Listeners respond far better to the familiar (the standardisation of the music, and the artists themselves), and there is typically a lack of discretion.

JJJ listeners aren’t particularly discerning, and as long as the music fits the usual aesthetics of the station (poppy, but different) it becomes a part of the rotation - and the race to the bottom has been happening for years.

JJJ is just ALDI Nova IMO.
Yeah but you said listeners can only respond to what Triple J play.

So is it that the listeners prefer that stuff or is it that Triple J play it so that's what they vote for?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Yeah but you said listeners can only respond to what Triple J play.

So is it that the listeners prefer that stuff or is it that Triple J play it so that's what they vote for?

It’s a reinforcing loop.

JJJ listeners are conditioned to hearing to poppy (immediately rewarding) music, so the station continues to play the usual tosh, and increasingly introduces more accessible sounding artists into their playlists.

When has a station ever became less mainstream?

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
This thread at the moment is just the Old Man Yells At Cloud meme.

I can't link you to other message boards of people saying the same s**t

It's completely valid

I can't link you to other message boards of people saying the same sh*t

It's completely valid
Yeah shock horror people who are no longer youths don't enjoy the the most popular songs of the year according to youths.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
whilst I definitely thought 2020's countdown overall was better than 2019, especially the top 10 as a whole, it was the earlier half of the countdown that blew for me. like how Tones and I is somehow still a thing, that G-Flip LAV is TRASH, AJ Tracey and British hip hop as a whole is ugh, then really Juice WRLD making it 4 times, honestly if he wasn't dead I doubt he'd make it more than once, same with Mac Miller, never seemed to have such a huge following on the j's until they passed and now posthumously they're getting voted in left, right and centre.

I am enjoying the 200-101 overall more, this seems more of the Double J 100 whereas the actual 100 is the more mainstream, poppier count these days.

Already too much hip hop. This could be an exhausting day.

DaRenegade I like your 100 more than I believe the actual one is going to end up.

happens every year, I forget that guitar driven stuff isn't at the forefront of the j's rotation anymore, and I overload the 100-50 with more of it than I should haha, but yeah I'd much have preferred my list to the actual countdown shock horror :tearsofjoy:

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Yeah shock horror people who are no longer youths don't enjoy the the most popular songs of the year according to youths.

Real intelligent to just handwave the criticisms away 'coz youths'

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Did triple J used to be enjoyed by all ages? Or was it always more a young audience?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

I’m right in their target demographic, and just don’t enjoy the music.

I do think the average JJJ listener is now younger, and there’s a certain infantalism that comes with that, but there isn’t a clear distinction when it comes to their listenership.

Plenty of people in their 30’s and 40’s listen to bog average music too.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Did triple J used to be enjoyed by all ages? Or was it always more a young audience?
Always younger. But it was obviously better when we were younger :rolleyes: I thought the top 20 was one of the better lists of recent years and some good variety with the likes of Glass Animals, Spacey Jane, Tame Impala, Billie Eilish, Hilltop Hoods.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
And its crap, my kids thought it was a lame count too.

tenor.gif

I’m right in their target demographic, and just don’t enjoy the music.

I do think the average JJJ listener is now younger, and there’s a certain infantalism that comes with that, but there isn’t a clear dichotomy when it comes to their listenership.

Plenty of people in their 30’s and 40’s listen to bog average music too.

Did you join BF as a 5 year old?

It really highlights how much JJJ has changed musically that The Strokes can't crack the top 100 after their most acclaimed album in years. Bad Decisions would've been in the top 30 in years gone by.

The Adults Are Talking was probably the most popular track from that album and it wasn't even on the damn voting list.

Back