Hottest 100 of 2020

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
Finding it hard to believe that Phoebe Bridgers didn't get a look in with any songs from her ridiculously brilliant Punisher album.

4 Grammy nominations
Best New Artist
Best Alternative Album - Punisher
Best Rock Song - Kyoto
Best Rock Performance - Kyoto

I guess the fact that she's not an Aussie doesn't give her a look in (although heavily featured on the much much more superior Double J)

Below is a great video that explains why mainstream music has changed for the worse and is so bland today. Watch!

Very good clip. Sad but true. Glad to be an old fart that had the pleasure of having a new album or CD in my hand to treasure. Nothing better!
Ive been saying for years that streaming music doesn’t encourage you to give something a decent time to grow on you as when you‘ve spent your cold, hard cash on it.

Sorry for the thread hijack kids!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It really highlights how much JJJ has changed musically that The Strokes can't crack the top 100 after their most acclaimed album in years. Bad Decisions would've been in the top 30 in years gone by.
Once a band has been ‘passed by’ by Triple J, it’s very hard to crack the 100. Pearl Jam had some cracking songs on Gigaton but it ain’t getting airplay on triple j and isn’t aimed at young people any more. Arguably the same is true of the Strokes and they are presumably pushed on to Double J at the moment.

Personally I think some bands have been shuffled off to Double J too early and the 100 would have broader appeal if bands like the Strokes, Vampire Weekend and National weren’t given the boot from Triple J. But it is what it is, Triple J’s focus has turned even harder to local music and unearthed. It’s difficult to argue that pushing Aussie acts isn’t their remit either.

So in the end I had:

#141: Hockey Dad - In This State
#109: Phoebe Bridgers - Kyoto
#31: San Cisco - Reasons
#8: The Jungle Giants - Sending Me Ur Loving
#5: Tame Impala - Lost In Yesterday

A little surprised that the Paranoid Android LAV didn't get into the 200 but not overly surprised with the others missing.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Just looking back through that 2000 Countdown, these would be my 10 picks today from that 100.

On Australia Day 2001 I was just turned 12. Didn't listen to the countdown, but remember watching the memorably chokey Clement-Grosjean AO SF that evening and then videostore new release M:i-2 later with a coke in hand. Started high school a few days later.

1. Freestyler (Bomfunk MCs) - the best song to make the ARIA top 10 that entire decade, still a banger, a then-phenomenon
2. Take My Picture (Filter) - enduring personal fave
3. Frontier Psychiatrist (Avalanches) - remember this oddity briefly poking into the Rage Top 50, and by the mid 00s I loved it
4. Everything in its Right Place (Radiohead) - Was aware of Radiohead & Kid A then, but didn't become a fan until the mid 00s
5. Groovejet (Spiller) - Wasn't crazy about it then, but hasn't dulled with time, a top 5 #1 of that decade
6. My Happiness (Powderfinger) - one of the better JJJ #1s, one of a couple Powderfinger tracks that even non-fans can appreciate, interesting sound on this one too
7. Good Fortune (PJ Harvey) - was obsessed with this album in late 2012
8. Taste in Men (Placebo) - Had a Placebo phase in early 2006, just before Meds came out, and this is one of their most indefatigable 2000s tracks
9. Pictures in the Mirror (The Living End) - probably my favourite single from them after the debut, remember this releasing straight after the Olympics
10. Shiver (Coldplay) - Parachutes had several great tracks

Pretty good 100 overall, remain fond of a majority of the tracks there

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Once a band has been ‘passed by’ by Triple J, it’s very hard to crack the 100. Pearl Jam had some cracking songs on Gigaton but it ain’t getting airplay on triple j and isn’t aimed at young people any more. Arguably the same is true of the Strokes and they are presumably pushed on to Double J at the moment.

Personally I think some bands have been shuffled off to Double J too early and the 100 would have broader appeal if bands like the Strokes, Vampire Weekend and National weren’t given the boot from Triple J. But it is what it is, Triple J’s focus has turned even harder to local music and unearthed. It’s difficult to argue that pushing Aussie acts isn’t their remit either.

Soho get in at 113 and 117. I like both but didn't think the album was quite as good as WACO.

all up I enjoyed the 200 more, it seems to be more of the Double J 100 and the Hottest 100 is the mainstream/pop countdown. I agree with the above statement that Everything is A-OK was weaker than WACO, however Pick It Up Again is Violent Soho's best track in years imo, and I'm still shocked that it didn't crack the 100 considering in 2016 they charted 5 times. Rubens, BMTH and DMA's sightings in the 110-101 section was good to see, but no Royal Blood or Killers even in the 200 at all is a massive shock.

It would’ve helped if it actually got played on triple j. I don’t understand how she didn’t get regular play throughout the year.
I think I read it got played once before voting opened and then 11 times between that and the countdown or something lol.

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
this is the current problem with jjj, yes they're championing Aussie artists which is good in one aspect, but they champion alot of bog average or just plain crap and better artists from other countries get shafted because of it, especially come voting time when it seems everyone is like GOTTA GET THE AUSSIES IN!~

DaRenegade

NRL > AFL
Dec 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Difficult to criticise the station for championing Australian artists though I admit I've found myself listening less and less

why not though? just because they’re Aussie doesn’t instantly make them all worthy of airplay and exposure. They had a better balance before Double J came around they went hard to push Unearthed

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
why not though? just because they’re Aussie doesn’t instantly make them all worthy of airplay and exposure. They had a better balance before Double J came around they went hard to push Unearthed
Isn't it specifically what they are there for and funded for?

Hottest 100 of 2000 on today on Double J, looking at that list and it's LOADED. the top 20 especially is huge.
I think I know #1 but keeping myself spoiler free for the rest.

Back