Hottest 100 of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Evidently I'm at that age where the Triple J hottest 100 sucks, and all sounds the same; but not only that, the Double J count makes me irrationally angry at how diverse the music we used to get was.

I wonder if Double J are bothering to replay yesterday's count in 20 years, or just say "yeah, sorry, it was just interchangeable white dude music, so here's 2000 again."

I still enjoyed 2011-2017 overall too, but the last few years have been a real let down to me, everything comes and goes in phases so there's every chance they focus on different genres a bit more down the line, but I guess with how accessible, easy and basic pop orientated music is, why would they?

fingers crossed haha

The 2000 countdown has some of the same problems, local acts being pushed over quality international bands, unless people think Dirty Jeans by Magic Dirt, Gravity by Superjesus and Every ******* City by Paul Kelly are stone cold Aussie classics (all in the top 20). Mainstream songs like Coldplay and Travis. Add some s**t Limp Bizkit. If this was the countdown this year, reckon plenty of people would complain about how s**t it was.

Plenty of great tunes, obviously, but time and age colours everything. Add in some unfortunate changes to the nature of the music industry and I don’t understand why people get so angry that the Hottest 100 has passed them by.

I don't mind local acts being pushed ahead of international, as JackOutback says they've been doing it for a while. It's kind of part of the ABC's remit.

What has disappointed me in recent times is the curation of triple j. I regularly listen to the unearthed digital station and I recon it has a lot more diverse tastes than the flagship station.

And yeah there were some stupid songs there in the past but that was kind of part of the fun. Too much music now isn't fun, it's trying too hard to be cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beautiful Day, Groovejet & Teenage Dirtbag were all ARIA #1 towards the end of the year and J-friendly enough, not out-n-out pop. Not all that surprising. Teenage Dirtbag had a bit of a school passout/friends forever vibe to it then as well.

U2 were in their J tail end then. Beautiful Day just had that Insta-banger cut through, but it was becoming harder for them to feature.

Last edited:
Beautiful Day, Groovejet & Teenage Dirtbag were all ARIA #1 towards the end of the year and J-friendly enough, not out-n-out pop. Not all that surprising. Teenage Dirtbag had a bit of a school passout/friends forever vibe to it then as well.

U2 were in their J tail end then. Beautiful Day just had that Insta-banger cut through, but it was becoming harder for them to feature.

THIS

give me any of those over G-Flip, Mallrat, Ruel and the many other dreary, boring, uninspiring artists that chart these days

U2 were a huge jjj act all the way through to 04 when Vertigo charted despite not being played (or very rarely being played) that year, so of course they'd chart highly 4 years before hand with arguably their biggest song

It's really odd hearing Coldplay in the top 10. I guess they were pretty heavily featured on JJJ until Viva La Vida came out (Clocks and Fix You featured in the Hottest 100 of their release years).
Were you a JJJ listener back then?

Their first two albums were great.

The Hottest 100 has always had meme songs like Teenage Dirtbag or Pretty Fly or even Big Jet Plane to keep it interesting but WAP was absolutely a bridge too far, should have been Swift'd from the countdown.

Were you a JJJ listener back then?

Their first two albums were great.
I was a bit young back then and, yeah, Parachutes and A Rush of Blood... were quality.

The Hottest 100 has always had meme songs like Teenage Dirtbag or Pretty Fly or even Big Jet Plane to keep it interesting but WAP was absolutely a bridge too far, should have been Swift'd from the countdown.
Shake It Off got booted because KFC actively put up a promotion to encourage people to vote for it. Not only is that a big no-no from the ABC, it's blatant vote fixing. Triple J would've allowed her in otherwise.

I was a bit young back then and, yeah, Parachutes and A Rush of Blood... were quality.

Shake It Off got booted because KFC actively put up a promotion to encourage people to vote for it. Not only is that a big no-no from the ABC, it's blatant vote fixing. Triple J would've allowed her in otherwise.
Shake it off was probably on track to be booted well before KFC put out that promotion because it was openly being voted in to troll listeners of the Js. I don't know for sure if there was a similar campaign for WAP, but I am presuming there must have been because it is not possible to like that song even ironically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back