Hottest 100 of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

no Violent Soho was a huge surprise, first time since 2012 they’ve not made it when eligible. The Rubens fall since they won in 2015 is also crazy, Heavy Weather is their best track in ages.

the 200 will be good as usual with them, Nothing But Thieves, Royal Blood, Run the Jewels, Kanye and The Rubens.
Probably a little too heavy for the triple J demographic

My god that top 100, ok so its far from my taste, outside a few bands, I think thye all utterly suck balls and should go find another hobby, BUT that aside...

I happned to hear alot of it cause my partner likes to listen to JJJ.
Was it just me, or was that entire bunch of songs pretty much one paced? Its like they open new project in their DAW, and most software defaults to a tempo of 120BPM, load up "samples" or whatever, and s**t squeezes out the other end! Tempo people, tempo....give it some thought and variation.

Evidently I'm at that age where the Triple J hottest 100 sucks, and all sounds the same; but not only that, the Double J count makes me irrationally angry at how diverse the music we used to get was.

I wonder if Double J are bothering to replay yesterday's count in 20 years, or just say "yeah, sorry, it was just interchangeable white dude music, so here's 2000 again."
Its not just you brother.

Once a band has been ‘passed by’ by Triple J, it’s very hard to crack the 100. Pearl Jam had some cracking songs on Gigaton but it ain’t getting airplay on triple j and isn’t aimed at young people any more. Arguably the same is true of the Strokes and they are presumably pushed on to Double J at the moment.

Personally I think some bands have been shuffled off to Double J too early and the 100 would have broader appeal if bands like the Strokes, Vampire Weekend and National weren’t given the boot from Triple J. But it is what it is, Triple J’s focus has turned even harder to local music and unearthed. It’s difficult to argue that pushing Aussie acts isn’t their remit either.
Dont play actual instruments if your focus is JJJ attention. Fact.

they are a full blown pop station now, with aussie hip hop and British grime mixed in, and the odd guitar driven track which is almost a novelty for them. Diet Nova as someone labelled them before :tearsofjoy:

The station hasnt really been the same since Double J started up imo. If you like the older style music that place is the go.

Triple J feels a lot closer to commercial crap than alternative music nowadays.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Double J was the worst thing to happen to Triple J IMO. I would be very happy if they decommissioned Double J completely and moved back to the "one station" model.

Triple J have always targeted the 18 - 24 age demographic, but pre-Double J it was also a station many people well into their 30s and even 40s could listen to. Disclosure/Flight Facilities/Kendrick/Sticky Fingers-type artists would appeal to a younger crowd, while older people could still enjoy music from Radiohead/Bon Iver/Arctic Monkeys/Black Keys/James Blake/QOTSA-type artists on the same station. It was a nice mix and I really appreciated how Triple J provided a platform to hear a diverse range of credible music no matter where you were across Australia.

Now Triple J relegate new music made by credible "mature" artists to an underground, second-tier, digital-only station hidden from mainstream society and in the process, have completely alienated their older audience from the main station. Triple J have now decided to not just target the 18 - 24 age demographic, but exclusively focus on it.

Simplifying it all down to the “you just got too old” argument is lazy for mine. There is still plenty of great music being released in 2020 – it is just Triple J have decided that you must be over 24 to appreciate it apparently.

For example: Roisin Murphy, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Christine & The Queens, JPEGMAFIA, Thundercat, Jessie Ware, Yves Tumor, Four Tet, IDLES, Run The Jewels, King Gizzard, Fiona Apple, Grimes, Caribou, Gorillaz, The Avalanches and Phoebe Bridgers all released relevant, high quality music last year - but not many people heard it because they were all cursed with the Double J treatment unfortunately (or not given airplay at all).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Case in point: It's an absolute disgrace Triple J didn't give this 2020 masterpiece exposure...

Fresh, innovative, enjoyable... what more do you want? Should've been a top 50 Hottest 100 tune, but it wasn't even on the voting list (lol)

Last edited:
My band mate played me the top 10 on the way to a gig in the country last weekend. His taste is more suited to modern triple j than mine but even his overall take in each song was generally ‘no way this is a top 10 hottest 100 song.’

Think back to previous songs that made it - No Aphrodisiac, These Days, Prisoner of Society - even Somebody That I Used to Know which isn’t really my style - those songs had an element of genius to them whether it was the melody, the quality of the vocal part or just Chris Cheney’s incredible guitar skills.

My thoughts when I hear those songs is ‘there is no circumstance under which I could ever come up with that song.’

Hearing most of the top 10 I simply thought ‘anyone with the right producer could make this.’

Songs that are inoffensive to the ears but largely forgettable, and indistinguishable from the previous five tracks, seem to be what passes for something worthy of merit these days and that’s incredibly sad given how many amazing bands and artists Triple J introduced to Australia in previous eras.

My band mate played me the top 10 on the way to a gig in the country last weekend. His taste is more suited to modern triple j than mine but even his overall take in each song was generally ‘no way this is a top 10 hottest 100 song.’

Think back to previous songs that made it - No Aphrodisiac, These Days, Prisoner of Society - even Somebody That I Used to Know which isn’t really my style - those songs had an element of genius to them whether it was the melody, the quality of the vocal part or just Chris Cheney’s incredible guitar skills.

My thoughts when I hear those songs is ‘there is no circumstance under which I could ever come up with that song.’

Hearing most of the top 10 I simply thought ‘anyone with the right producer could make this.’

Songs that are inoffensive to the ears but largely forgettable, and indistinguishable from the previous five tracks, seem to be what passes for something worthy of merit these days and that’s incredibly sad given how many amazing bands and artists Triple J introduced to Australia in previous eras.

It’s been said before, how may of the current crop of songs will be looked back on as classics in 20 years? Or even still listened too?

It’s been said before, how may of the current crop of songs will be looked back on as classics in 20 years? Or even still listened too?
Who listens regularly to Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole? We don’t know what will be listened to in 20 years, but I do know that the generation before mine said no one would be listening to Nirvana or Oasis or Powderfinger in 20 years cause they just didn’t make music like the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatever their favourite band is.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Double J was the worst thing to happen to Triple J IMO. I would be very happy if they decommissioned Double J completely and moved back to the "one station" model.

Triple J have always targeted the 18 - 24 age demographic, but pre-Double J it was also a station many people well into their 30s and even 40s could listen to. Disclosure/Flight Facilities/Kendrick/Sticky Fingers-type artists would appeal to a younger crowd, while older people could still enjoy music from Radiohead/Bon Iver/Arctic Monkeys/Black Keys/James Blake/QOTSA-type artists on the same station. It was a nice mix and I really appreciated how Triple J provided a platform to hear a diverse range of credible music no matter where you were across Australia.

Now Triple J relegate new music made by credible "mature" artists to an underground, second-tier, digital-only station hidden from mainstream society and in the process, have completely alienated their older audience from the main station. Triple J have now decided to not just target the 18 - 24 age demographic, but exclusively focus on it.

Simplifying it all down to the “you just got too old” argument is lazy for mine. There is still plenty of great music being released in 2020 – it is just Triple J have decided that you must be over 24 to appreciate it apparently.

For example: Roisin Murphy, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Christine & The Queens, JPEGMAFIA, Thundercat, Jessie Ware, Yves Tumor, Four Tet, IDLES, Run The Jewels, King Gizzard, Fiona Apple, Grimes, Caribou, Gorillaz, The Avalanches and Phoebe Bridgers all released relevant, high quality music last year - but not many people heard it because they were all cursed with the Double J treatment unfortunately (or not given airplay at all).
Excellent synopsis.
Too confirm you just have to listen for 5 minutes to any of the on air presenters and their appaling drivel and presentation. Yep 18-24 is the target,

Who listens regularly to Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole? We don’t know what will be listened to in 20 years, but I do know that the generation before mine said no one would be listening to Nirvana or Oasis or Powderfinger in 20 years cause they just didn’t make music like the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatever their favourite band is.
Yes, but then technology opened the floodgates and any knob with a laptop and some "beats" were calling themselves "producers" and the quality of music dropped like a mutha ******* led balloon, and continues to. Never before in those generations had technology , and the internet, changed the game so drastcially and had such a terrible effect on the quality of music. There was not software where you can drag and drop chord progressions. You dont need an single clue of how music is made, not one iota...and so its obivous the quailty is going to go south compared to past decades.

Excellent synopsis.
Too confirm you just have to listen for 5 minutes to any of the on air presenters and their appaling drivel and presentation. Yep 18-24 is the target,
I think its closer to the 15-22 age group. Well according to my two daughters who have just come out of that age group. Both now feel too old for JJJ.

Last edited:
Yes, but then technology opened the floodgates and any knob with a laptop and some "beats" were calling themselves "producers" and the quality of music dropped like a mutha ******* led balloon, and continues to. Never before in those generations had technology , and the internet, changed the game so drastcially and had such a terrible effect on the quality of music. There was not software where you can drag and drop chord progressions. You dont need an single clue of how music is made, not one iota...and so its obivous the quailty is going to go south compared to past decades.
is there s**t music out there? Sure. but there was s**t music in the past, the difference being that it has been forgotten. Is there great music being produced now? Absolutely, and that is the music that will be remembered. Gang of youths, Tame Impala, Empire of the Sun are all as good as anything that came from the '90s.

is there sh*t music out there? Sure. but there was sh*t music in the past, the difference being that it has been forgotten. Is there great music being produced now? Absolutely, and that is the music that will be remembered. Gang of youths, Tame Impala, Empire of the Sun are all as good as anything that came from the '90s.
Double J is playing plenty of great music made right now.

I still listen to JJJ(and they do still play some cool music), but there is a real sameness about the music atm. Cheesy pop seems to be trendy but it'll pass and something else will come along

is there sh*t music out there? Sure. but there was sh*t music in the past, the difference being that it has been forgotten. Is there great music being produced now? Absolutely, and that is the music that will be remembered. Gang of youths, Tame Impala, Empire of the Sun are all as good as anything that came from the '90s.
Yes of course there is still good music now.
But there is a steadying trend of near unmusical rubbish too that is going nowhere but up.
Was there s**t in the past? Of course.
Are we trending towards better and more evolved musicianship though today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back