Hottest 100 of 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Who listens regularly to Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole? We don’t know what will be listened to in 20 years, but I do know that the generation before mine said no one would be listening to Nirvana or Oasis or Powderfinger in 20 years cause they just didn’t make music like the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatever their favourite band is.

Outside of pretty fly and amazing, I listen to those songs.

arsehole has never been more relevant than it is now. Take Me Out is a f***ing amazing song. I get asked to play One Crowded Hour every second gig I play.

It's also way easier to hear music from people you wouldn't have heard music from in the past.
And way easier to get it played too. Unearthed has been and amazing tool from JJJ to find new music, you can get on high rotation without ever playing a gig or outside your bedroom.

Who listens regularly to Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole? We don’t know what will be listened to in 20 years, but I do know that the generation before mine said no one would be listening to Nirvana or Oasis or Powderfinger in 20 years cause they just didn’t make music like the Beatles or Pink Floyd or whatever their favourite band is.

The very fact that you remember the names of those songs from yesteryear and everyone remembers them instantly when you rattle them off, speaks volumes about the quality of music from that period.

I defy you to rattle off the names of the last 10 Hottest 100 winners (artist and song name) and sing the lyrics and hum the tunes. Without Googling

That's impossible because memorable hooks and melodies don't exist on JJJ anymore. It's mostly monotone, low-fi garbage

Last edited:

I’m not a massive fan, but Coldplay’s first few albums and Viva La Vida were pretty decent. Parachutes was a more watered down version of The Bends, but they had their own vibe and were obviously heavily influenced by Britpop.

People still remember Yellow and Shiver because they’re well crafted pop songs with memorable, hooky choruses.

Will anyone have the same reaction to Heatwave in a couple of decades? Does anyone still look back fondly on Hoops winning a few years back?

Introducing decent pop songs into their daily playlists was one thing JJJ and Channel V (who have suffered a similar decline) used to do reasonably well, but with the general regression of pop music there aren’t many songs that’d qualify.

Coldplay's Viva La Vida show in 2009 is in my top 5 shows of all time of over 1000 shows I've seen

* that was amazing

The very fact that you remember the names of those songs from yesteryear and everyone remembers them instantly when you rattle them off, speaks volumes about the quality of music from that period.

I defy you to rattle off the names of the last 10 Hottest 100 winners (artist and song name) and sing the lyrics and hum the tunes. Without Googling

That's impossible because memorable hooks and melodies don't exist on JJJ anymore. It's mostly monotone, low-fi garbage
I easily could.

I just have.

images

Guys, guys, guys...let's all stop arguing for a minute and just take the time to appreciate The Wiggles doing a Like a Version this morning.

well there goes one of my votes for the 2021 hottest 100

Yes because I’m guessing you listen to it closely. People who don’t and didn’t, can still recall the the songs mentioned earlier.
But that's exactly the point, isn't it?

You reckon people who were in their 30s to 40s twenty years ago would know Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole and being able to sing or hum them?

A lot of people now would know fairly easily songs like Somebody That I Used To Know, Thrift Shop, bad guy or Riptide which have won in the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's exactly the point, isn't it?

You reckon people who were in their 30s to 40s twenty years ago would know Pretty Fly for a White Guy, One Crowded Hour, Take Me Out, Amazing or arsehole and being able to sing or hum them?

A lot of people now would know fairly easily songs like Somebody That I Used To Know, Thrift Shop, bad guy or Riptide which have won in the last 10 years.

Somebody that I used to
Know is the best Australian song in 15 years and tantamount to genius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back