Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not as convinced that it will win by Gotye & Kimbra proportions. Doesn’t fit the profile for me. Don’t know what can challenge it though yet, I guess we will find out soon.

good to see you're around again thewitness and hopefully you'll be having another crack at guessing the 100, I'll do likewise again too. I agree if it does win it won't be by a massive amount as it's a very polarising song, but there just doesn't seem like much else that stands out. Bad Guy by Billie Eilish (also rubbish), Talk by Khalid will both be up there as will Tame Impala coz they're Tame Impala.

good to see you're around again thewitness and hopefully you'll be having another crack at guessing the 100, I'll do likewise again too. I agree if it does win it won't be by a massive amount as it's a very polarising song, but there just doesn't seem like much else that stands out. Bad Guy by Billie Eilish (also rubbish), Talk by Khalid will both be up there as will Tame Impala coz they're Tame Impala.
It will be interesting to find out if Dance Monkeys wide spread popularity, actually coincides with Hottest 100 voters.

Yeah I don't buy Dance Monkey as a Triple JJJ winner. 20 weeks at #1 is a herculean effort, but past chart crossover precedents have tended to have a more built-in alternative audience, whereas Tones very rapidly outgrew JJJ and topped charts all over the world (for months), so had little time to really seize hold on her more grassroots audience. Her rapid rise cheated her of that.

If the ARIA public votes can game Song of the Year to dreck like Guy Sebastian's Choir over Dance Monkey, then it's beatable under certain circumstances. I wouldn't be all that surprised if her other two hits somehow outperformed it. If I was Tones, I'd be thinking less about a win and more about attempting to get those 3 in the top 10.

If the alternatives people are mentioning are Bad Guy and Talk (the horror), then definitely team Tones. My votes as per usual won't factor.

Since 1997 only Pretty Fly for a white guy, these days, thrift shop and riptide have won the hottest 100 without featuring in the album of the year poll top 10 (usually top 5). Knights of cydonia had been in the previous years album poll.
Does that point to Tones and I not winning? Maybe. Obviously there’s no Tones and I album to be eligible.

Current list, won't submit as a few just outside the 10 atm:

Billie Eilish - bad guy
Charli XCX (feat Christine and the Queens) - Gone
Denzel Curry - Bulls on Parade (LAV)
FKA twigs - cellophane
Julia Jacklin - Pressure to Party
Julia Jacklin - Someday (LAV)
Lana del Rey - The greatest
Vampire Weekend - This Life
Vampire Weekend (feat Danielle Haim) - Hold You Now
Weyes Blood - Andromeda

Unlucky/just outside:
Big Thief - Not
Billie Eilish - you should see me in a crown
Bon Iver - Naeem
Lana del Rey - hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it
Mallrat - Charlie
The Raconteurs - Now That You're Gone
TOOL - 7empest

It will be interesting to find out if Dance Monkeys wide spread popularity, actually coincides with Hottest 100 voters.

I don’t see why it’s widespread popularity would harm its chances.

Things have changed since 2010 when there was widespread outrage that Triple J played Kanye’s All Of The Lights with Rihanna’s feature (incredible song btw)

Triple J’s target demographic embraces popular music now (Drake, Beyoncé, Travis Scott etc.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty s**t that there is a backlash against Tones and I, and people are deliberately not voting for her.

She got her start on Triple J. Not her fault she wrote a catchy tune that has had a billion views on YouTube. What exactly are voters upset about? Triple J has never been so commercial anyway.

Post Malone on the other hand can go to hell.

I don’t see why it’s widespread popularity would harm its chances.

Things have changed since 2010 when there was widespread outrage that Triple J played Kanye’s All Of The Lights with Rihanna’s feature (incredible song btw)

Triple J’s target demographic embraces popular music now (Drake, Beyoncé, Travis Scott etc.)
I actually meant it the other way around, that Dance Monkey was not actually a well liked song on Triple J (as opposed to Johnny Run Away) but then became massive via more mainstream channels.
Not that because it had global success it became unpopular with Triple J listeners (although there could be some of that).

Have my top ten down to:

1. Cage the Elephant - Ready to Let Go
2. Foals - Black Bull
3. Denzel Curry - Bulls on Parade (like a version)
4. The Vanns - Mother
5. Waax - FU
6. Bugs - Seriously
7. Catfish and the Bottlemen - Longshot
8. Spacey Jane - Good for You
9. DZ Deathrays - IN-TO-IT
10. PUP - Kids

Though I was surprised to see Cage the Elephant in the listing...I don't recall them even being played on the station so they might be a wasted vote. Could replace them with some FIDLAR, The Black Keys or even more Foals...not sure.

Current list, won't submit as a few just outside the 10 atm:

Billie Eilish - bad guy
Charli XCX (feat Christine and the Queens) - Gone
Denzel Curry - Bulls on Parade (LAV)
FKA twigs - cellophane
Julia Jacklin - Pressure to Party
Julia Jacklin - Someday (LAV)
Lana del Rey - The greatest
Vampire Weekend - This Life
Vampire Weekend (feat Danielle Haim) - Hold You Now
Weyes Blood - Andromeda

Unlucky/just outside:
Big Thief - Not
Billie Eilish - you should see me in a crown
Bon Iver - Naeem
Lana del Rey - hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it
Mallrat - Charlie
The Raconteurs - Now That You're Gone
TOOL - 7empest

You should see me in a crown #46 last year

what genuine alternatives are people thinking can run Dance Monkey close?

I can think of Bad Guy, Talk, Circles, Bulls on Parade but there isn't much jumping out atm...

what genuine alternatives are people thinking can run Dance Monkey close?

I can think of Bad Guy, Talk, Circles, Bulls on Parade but there isn't much jumping out atm...
Of those, I could see Bad Guy contending. Bulls on Parade feels like too long ago (unless that noted RATM vote-army unite behind it). Talk and Circles don't strike me as threats, JJJ regular rotation would be necessary there.

Of those, I could see Bad Guy contending. Bulls on Parade feels like too long ago (unless that noted RATM vote-army unite behind it). Talk and Circles don't strike me as threats, JJJ regular rotation would be necessary there.

Talk was pretty popular early in the year but like you said about Bulls on Parade, it's likely been too long ago to resonate with voters currently. Circles by Post Malone has been played a fair bit ever since it's release, I'm thinking its a top 10 contender for sure. can't believe trash like Lizzo and Thelma Plum is ranked so high, and that's without getting me started on Tones or Billie. awful countdown it's shaping up to be

If anyone is looking for a good prediction site:

It won't be perfect but looking at past results it will get most songs to within several positions at the top of the list and within say 10 spots at the back end.

Put my votes in today.
Broods - Hospitalized
Catfish And The Bottlemen - Fluctuate
Flight Facilities - Better Than Ever {Ft. Aloe Blacc}
G Flip - Bring Me Home
Golden Features x The Presets - Paradise
Kingswood - Say You Remember
Lizzo - Juice
Montaigne - Ready
Ocean Alley - Infinity
Tame Impala - Bordeline

Remove this Banner Ad