Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

The ‘10s still dished up the Killers, Muse, Coldplay as big stadium bands. The only stadium acts this decade are pop like Adele and Ed Sheeran or nostalgia acts.

You mean the ‘00s?

if women wrote/sung/produced better music that appeals to the audience of triple j, they'd poll better in these countdowns. fact is they don't and the voting public was a higher % of female than males for this countdown, so there's no sexism bias in votes to clutch at. it's absurd statements like this that cause so much fuss over nothing. the most popular/best/favourite songs of the fan base make the countdown, that's it. doesn't matter what sex the artist(s) are, good music is good music regardless tbh and it just so turns out that according to previously mentioned polling audiences, the majority is by males.

God this is a rubbish post.

It's like you don't realise that Triple J dictate to young people what they will listen to.

I think they've gotten better, and I think a 2021-2030 H100 would be much more representative - but for me there's no argument that the lack of female representation in this countdown is down to what Triple J thinks you should listen to. It's why the first half of the previous decade was so dominated by this conversation.

------

On a separate note though, I think you could study the presence of Sticky Fingers in this countdown and come up with some pretty interesting/accurate conclusions about why women don't traditionally fare that well in the H100.

if women wrote/sung/produced better music that appeals to the audience of triple j, they'd poll better in these countdowns. fact is they don't and the voting public was a higher % of female than males for this countdown, so there's no sexism bias in votes to clutch at. it's absurd statements like this that cause so much fuss over nothing. the most popular/best/favourite songs of the fan base make the countdown, that's it. doesn't matter what sex the artist(s) are, good music is good music regardless tbh and it just so turns out that according to previously mentioned polling audiences, the majority is by males.

Lots of facts stated without any evidence to that effect.
On the other hand, lots of evidence to suggest female artists (and Aboriginal artists, amongst others) are under-represented in what is presented to the listening public. Certainly not a JJJ issue solely.

Sorry, yes. I don’t think the 10s has produced a stadium band. Still plenty of arena sized ones.

It's cos music has changed. It's more diverse. There's less mainstream stuff because people have more variety and more access. And it's cos there's so many ways for Kanye or Beyonce or Tame Impala to make money that they no longer have to pander to the mainstream that attracts 50k to a show.

20 years ago Lorde gets directed to a more mainstream direction to become a "stadium act". But you don't have to do that any more. You can be more faithful to your own creativity and still make a s**t ton of money.

It's cos music has changed. It's more diverse. There's less mainstream stuff because people have more variety and more access. And it's cos there's so many ways for Kanye or Beyonce or Tame Impala to make money that they no longer have to pander to the mainstream that attracts 50k to a show.

20 years ago Lorde gets directed to a more mainstream direction to become a "stadium act". But you don't have to do that any more. You can be more faithful to your own creativity and still make a s**t ton of money.

Indeed music is probably more diverse then ever. Not only in production but in also how its consumed.

You don't get as many 'super bands' because you don't have to have a 'mainstream friendly' sound to get big.

This is pretty much my view, except I’m not convinced many are making ‘s**t tons of money’.

Good to see the old "90s alt rock is the best genre of music ever" has made an appearance in here. It just wouldn't be a jjj-related thread without it.

Wait, where's plugger?
I’ll defend every generation of music, hell, two my top 10 or even top 5 bands of all time are from the last 10 years. But damn, the ‘90s is up there with the ‘60s as GOAT.

It's okay millennial 2nd place is no disgrace.
90s hip-hop > 90s alt rock

boomer
This is pretty much my view, except I’m not convinced many are making ‘s**t tons of money’.

I’ll defend every generation of music, hell, two my top 10 or even top 5 bands of all time are from the last 10 years. But damn, the ‘90s is up there with the ‘60s as GOAT.
I think the 90s probably is the best decade of all time. I just don't think many of those alt rock bands who were massive on jjj and the like play much of a role in that being the case.

90s hip-hop > 90s alt rock

boomer

I think the 90s probably is the best decade of all time. I just don't think many of those alt rock bands who were massive on jjj and the like play much of a role in that being the case.
We’re obviously coming at it from two different directions. I don’t care for hip hop, then or now. But I love rock and Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rage, Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots etc was such a rich era.

I reckon the beauty of the ‘90s was its diversity. You could think it’s the best because of grunge, punk rock, hip hop or indie pop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is fair to say you can love a lot of 2010s music, the innovations and trends it has brought, and the user access, but still say the 90s had a more exceptional output. Nothing wrong in that, especially when disclaimed lightly with personal generational bias.

Not everyone making that statement is a Plugger35 basically, or dismisses hip hop outright. We all have preferred decades, but it doesn't mean other decades are crap.

Last edited:
To be fair, the female music that JJJ flocks after tends to be yearly countdown fodder, rather than decade anthems. A lot of the acclaimed female music we've seen in recent years tends to be more albumy and for mature adults than youth radio.

With Foals barely breaking the 200 in both the 2019 and decade countdowns it seems they might be going the way of other big rock bands on Triple J sadly.

Will be interesting to see if Violent Soho can place highly with their new album coming out or if Covered in Chrome hit so high this time on nostalgia value.

Lots of facts stated without any evidence to that effect.
On the other hand, lots of evidence to suggest female artists (and Aboriginal artists, amongst others) are under-represented in what is presented to the listening public. Certainly not a JJJ issue solely.

it's almost one male, one female in rotation on the j's these days. you hardly ever hear more than two of the same band/artist genre wise back to back. if anything triple j are "balancing" things out, but even that comes at the risk of better music missing out because they feel the need to have said balance

With Foals barely breaking the 200 in both the 2019 and decade countdowns it seems they might be going the way of other big rock bands on Triple J sadly.

Will be interesting to see if Violent Soho can place highly with their new album coming out or if Covered in Chrome hit so high this time on nostalgia value.

Soho will be fine, they've got a huge local following. Foals did have 2 albums last year and all their songs likely took votes off each other. the fact that My Number only charted in the 101-200 did surprise me, and no sight of Mountain At My Gates at all also

Too many old dudes basically. They seem to become novelty appearances come their mid 40s. If they are old enough to have college kids, OUT!
I knew that this was the case for some of my choices (Nick Cave, Radiohead) but Fleet Foxes, Father John Misty, Michael Kiwanuka and QOTSA to a lesser extent, I would have thought would still have some appeal to a younger audience. I'm a bit of an outlier, I'm 25 and I don't listen to Triple J, but I do think that Triple J has turned its back on many genres that it used to play.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I knew that this was the case for some of my choices (Nick Cave, Radiohead) but Fleet Foxes, Father John Misty, Michael Kiwanuka and QOTSA to a lesser extent, I would have thought would still have some appeal to a younger audience. I'm a bit of an outlier, I'm 25 and I don't listen to Triple J, but I do think that Triple J has turned its back on many genres that it used to play.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

QOTSA are still a triple j fav but the others you've mentioned aren't, even then QOTSA only charted once in 2017 and it was #87 I'm pretty sure, in general guitar driven music that isn't Australian isn't popular with the youth demographic the j's are appealing to currently, it gets shafted to Double J instead where the reach and exposure is nowhere near the same. been that way since it launched, year by year it gets worse, when Foo Fighters QOTSA Muse RHCP release new material this year, don't expect a huge backing from the j's on their main station

QOTSA are still a triple j fav but the others you've mentioned aren't, even then QOTSA only charted once in 2017 and it was #87 I'm pretty sure, in general guitar driven music that isn't Australian isn't popular with the youth demographic the j's are appealing to currently, it gets shafted to Double J instead where the reach and exposure is nowhere near the same. been that way since it launched, year by year it gets worse, when Foo Fighters QOTSA Muse RHCP release new material this year, don't expect a huge backing from the j's on their main station
They charted in 2013 too.

They charted in 2013 too.

that they did, 3 times as well which was great to see, but back in 2013 the station had a balance of what it played whereas now it is mainly geared towards pop/dance/hip hop. I wouldn't expect many actual bands to chart 3 times in a 1-100 list anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back