Injury Houlihan injured

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of negativity around some of our older players in particular Houlihan, he was playing fantastic footy in the first half of last year, his defensive forward role was working well, and appeared to address some deficiencies in his game, I'm looking forward to Robinson, Collins and others develop but Houlihan definitely has something to offer..experience, could have been handy vs the swans in that final last year.

Getting on here and bagging him is just not warranted in my opinion and hope to see him out there making a contribution to the team in 2011

Houlihan is the type of player who puts the icing on the cake. Unfortunately for the bulk of his career he has played in s**t house teams.

Has that skinny frame that won't allow him to ever dominate physically but is probably in the top 3 kicks at our club (and for multiple seasons) as stated numerous times by his fellow players.

He nearly won us a final against Melbourne in '99 if I recall correctly. It should've been a formality that day but we got rolled by a team that wanted it more. Ryan kept popping up with crucial goals to keep us in the contest.

It seems that most of the players that played through the dark period are maligned in one way or another. ..

Carrots - Great shut down player, good at getting his hands on the ball but has bad decision making. .. would have made a decent HB/BP but he is too good for the job. ..

Rusty - Took a while to get going and has found a niche as a player that can play from small to talls out of a BP/HB. .. but yet should of been a midfield/winger (still might make it)

Scotland - Does his job most weeks, win/lose/draw. .. Got a great kick for goal from anywhere inside 60m. .. but he isn't silky smooth and not super fast. ..

Waite - Most would say, why put him here. .. the guy is a beast and can win a game off his own boot. .. however he can win several games on the sidelines via the MRP too. ..

Irish - Has worked hard to switch from an unfamiliar game to AFL. .. Was partly responsible for our great start last year. .. but the guy is a spud, pure and simple even if he would run through a brick wall for ya. ..

Thornton - Great servant of the club. .. Stood taller than he had a right to. .. But played out of position for year and has had a poor attitude. ..

Walker - Fast with massive endurance. .. Played way out of his weight class and always gave a contest. .. however injury prone, poor tackler and lacks consistency. .. Some would say has a poor attitude too. ..

Houla - Great skills, evasion and awareness. .. One of the better kicks in the team. .. re-invented his role in the side. .. however easily lead and slight of build, some would say weak. .. and a bit of off field issue. ..

My point is, if you haven't spotted it yet. .. is that all these guys if played in a successful team probably would do well. .. however we were shite for so long that all their deficiencies have been laid bare for all to see. .. Instead of lording the effort these guys have put in for us and the fact they are still with us when so many other potentials have come and gone. .. Some of us choose to concentrate on these deficiencies and wait for them to vacate the club, so they can stop reminding us of the dark years. . .

How about we move on. .. Sure remember their deficiencies but while they are wearing the Navy Blue, lets give them some level of support. .. Maybe one or two of them can enjoy some much deserved success with the club. .. Those that don't shouldn't be maligned, they should be remembered and respected. ..

It seems that most of the players that played through the dark period are maligned in one way or another. ..

Carrots - Great shut down player, good at getting his hands on the ball but has bad decision making. .. would have made a decent HB/BP but he is too good for the job. ..

Rusty - Took a while to get going and has found a niche as a player that can play from small to talls out of a BP/HB. .. but yet should of been a midfield/winger (still might make it)

Scotland - Does his job most weeks, win/lose/draw. .. Got a great kick for goal from anywhere inside 60m. .. but he isn't silky smooth and not super fast. ..

Waite - Most would say, why put him here. .. the guy is a beast and can win a game off his own boot. .. however he can win several games on the sidelines via the MRP too. ..

Irish - Has worked hard to switch from an unfamiliar game to AFL. .. Was partly responsible for our great start last year. .. but the guy is a spud, pure and simple even if he would run through a brick wall for ya. ..

Thornton - Great servant of the club. .. Stood taller than he had a right to. .. But played out of position for year and has had a poor attitude. ..

Walker - Fast with massive endurance. .. Played way out of his weight class and always gave a contest. .. however injury prone, poor tackler and lacks consistency. .. Some would say has a poor attitude too. ..

Houla - Great skills, evasion and awareness. .. One of the better kicks in the team. .. re-invented his role in the side. .. however easily lead and slight of build, some would say weak. .. and a bit of off field issue. ..

My point is, if you haven't spotted it yet. .. is that all these guys if played in a successful team probably would do well. .. however we were shite for so long that all their deficiencies have been laid bare for all to see. .. Instead of lording the effort these guys have put in for us and the fact they are still with us when so many other potentials have come and gone. .. Some of us choose to concentrate on these deficiencies and wait for them to vacate the club, so they can stop reminding us of the dark years. . .

How about we move on. .. Sure remember their deficiencies but while they are wearing the Navy Blue, lets give them some level of support. .. Maybe one or two of them can enjoy some much deserved success with the club. .. Those that don't shouldn't be maligned, they should be remembered and respected. ..

I love this 'rose coloured glasses' analysis of rubbishy players. Lets get REAL here about these players:

CARROTS - was rejected by Geelong, so he couldn't cut it in a better side, REGARDLESS is a is a handy player, his disposal has improved each year and always does his job and then some..

WAITE - consistency is an issue, and his agro last year was ridiculous and a total waste and probably cost us a few game.

SCOTLAND - see Carrots. He is our most consistent player and rebounder, his only problem is he kicks like a dumb bogan sometimes and turns it over.

WALKER- see Scotland and his body is weak.

But Thornton, Setanta and Houla are all crummy players that we over-rate and is the reason why the experts don't rate us. But to be honest why they rate Footescray and Geelong so highly beats me. Geelong are old and Footescray are the new Swans but can't win a flag. And the Swans are still rated higher than us which is a worry too. They probably are a better side than us. We just have to be honest, the guys just aren't proving their mettle OR our couch is really ordinary. we'll hafta wait and see.

I love this 'rose coloured glasses' analysis of rubbishy players. Lets get REAL here about these players:

CARROTS - was rejected by Geelong, so he couldn't cut it in a better side, REGARDLESS is a is a handy player, his disposal has improved each year and always does his job and then some..

WAITE - consistency is an issue, and his agro last year was ridiculous and a total waste and probably cost us a few game.

SCOTLAND - see Carrots. He is our most consistent player and rebounder, his only problem is he kicks like a dumb bogan sometimes and turns it over.

WALKER- see Scotland and his body is weak.

But Thornton, Setanta and Houla are all crummy players that we over-rate and is the reason why the experts don't rate us. But to be honest why they rate Footescray and Geelong so highly beats me. Geelong are old and Footescray are the new Swans but can't win a flag. And the Swans are still rated higher than us which is a worry too. They probably are a better side than us. We just have to be honest, the guys just aren't proving their mettle OR our couch is really ordinary. we'll hafta wait and see.

But we have come sofa since the dark days.:D

Don't forget the Cats didn't rate Greg Williams either so not every team gets every call on every player right. Agree that Carrots sometimes sells teammates into trouble with his decision making but you can't rate him poorly just because he was let go by the Cats.

Check out the stats on all players and let me know how many don't ever "kicks like a dumb bogan sometimes and turns it over". They get plenty of it in tight situations so there will be turnovers. Take the good with the bad and just hope that they keep on improving as that is the best you can hope for.

You obviously miss my point or don't understand it. .. I'm not saying Thornton should be best 18 or anything but he brings something to the table and if we use it effectively then why bag him. .. Why not give him support whether he is in the Navy, the Red or in the weights room, doesn't mean you have to like his game but what is to be gained in concentrating solely on the negative other than never seeing a players true worth. ..

A non-Carlton example, Luke Ball was a decent footballer but he is slow and has a dodgy kick. .. made the move to Collingwood and most think he had a great year. .. Did he improve much, I would argue no. .. The team starts performing better, players strengths are used instead of leaning on their weaknesses and spuds start looking like gratiné. .. Not all spuds tho, some just become depth but if you think teams don't need their Houlihans, Thorntons, et al and we should just cut them and play two short on our roster, then I think you should get perspective. ..

A non-Carlton example, Luke Ball was a decent footballer but he is slow and has a dodgy kick. .. made the move to Collingwood and most think he had a great year. .. Did he improve much, I would argue no. .. The team starts performing better, players strengths are used instead of leaning on their weaknesses and spuds start looking like gratiné. .. Not all spuds tho, some just become depth but if you think teams don't need their Houlihans, Thorntons, et al and we should just cut them and play two short on our roster, then I think you should get perspective. ..

Luke Ball was never a spud. He was Shitkilda's vice-captain and he left because he wanted better pay! And he leaves and WINS A PREMIERSHIP!!! He would never have done that in Shitkilda and he is laughing loudest because he helped them do it!

Houlihan will never help anyone win a premiership, but he still might get to coach the Shepparton U11 Little League, so there is still some hope!

Well this thread was a weird read. First 2 pages highlight why seeing the other guy's facial expressions and hand gestures would have been handy.:D

Last page is a free for all on why Hoops is great.....or not.

Anyyyyyway........I was still able to establish that Hoops is injured, wont play rnd 1 and will fight for a seniors spot via the Ant's.

Sweet.

You guys............sheesh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget the Cats didn't pay enough to Greg Williams either

efa :D

FWIW I thought Hoops was in genuine career best form last year before the injury. Not surprising to see guys his age hit their peak. If he plays like that this season, there should be a spot for him in the 22.

Not a fan of Carrots though and hope he gets out-performed this season and pushed out of the team.

efa :D

FWIW I thought Hoops was in genuine career best form last year before the injury. Not surprising to see guys his age hit their peak. If he plays like that this season, there should be a spot for him in the 22.

Not a fan of Carrots though and hope he gets out-performed this season and pushed out of the team.
Hoops was in best career form ,Carrots always much maligned ,but I'd still have him in best 21 easily thus far..gets given a role and performs it..as for He'zabarebucket..why do I bother.

AA form might be an overstatement, but he was in pretty good touch regardless, and easily best 18.
He was heading towards a top five finish in the B&F before he was injured. Don't believe me? Go check last year's voting. Fortunately the MC has more idea than HeziBarecket.

Once he's fit, he'll be one of the first selected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back