Streaming House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

If I may, i at times found it hard to 100% identify particular characters aside from the main ones. Of course once in close proximity with rhaenyra i got who laenor was (i had to google his name). the episode did put the strong Strong family story together so that helped.

The episode certainly brought back some GoT ghoulish scenes - deaths, tongue cutting and births. And also a welcome return of the F andd C bombs.

i thought the newborns name was Joffrey.

I thought Laenas death was peaceful if you will. She was accepting of her fate.

The key term/concept this week was "Time Jump"

As an FYI, Leanor names baby Joffrey after Joffrey Lonmouth aka the Knight of Kisses aka his lover that was bashed to death by Ser Cristan

Yes you are right. He does bring their physical and emotional maturity forward. Like isn't Jon Snow like 14 and the best swordsman of the Nights Watch in the novels?
21 was the age one had to be to be a fully fledged knight so Jon and Robb being fully fledged battle commanders and military strategists at 15 is very over the top (also Jaime, Barristan, Gregor Clegane etc. are attributed with feats of combat and strength which don't really make sense for their ages). This would be okay as a one off to emphasize a special superheroic character but he seems to shave five years off a reasonable age across the board to make things more extreme.

Same with how his old characters aren't in their 60s or 70s, Walder Frey and Maester Aemond are well into their 90s. Picking an extreme value to emphasize something without really considering th implications of what the value actually means is his biggest failing as a writer (the most infamous example of this being the iconic height of the wall, which iirc Martin was shocked by how it actually looked when they were initially putting the tv show together because he realised the idea of wildlings fairly easily scaling it to raids doesnt fit with its size.

Last edited:
iirc Martin was shocked by how it actually looked when they were initially putting the tv show

The wall was probably twice (or more) the size it needed to be. Should probably been no higher than Hadrian's Wall (its' orginal inspiration) or the Great Wall of China. But it's a fantasy show. We can suspend our belief. The LOTR trilogy had some very unbelievable constructions on film too.

21 was the age one had to be to be a fully fledged knight so Jon and Robb being fully fledged battle commanders and military strategists at 15 is very over the top (also Jaime, Barristan, Gregor Clegane etc. are attributed with feats of combat and strength which don't really make sense for their ages). This would be okay as a one off to emphasize a special superheroic character but he seems to shave five years off a reasonable age across the board to make things more extreme.

Same with how his old characters aren't in their 60s or 70s, Walder Frey and Maester Aemond are well into their 90s. Picking an extreme value to emphasize something without really considering th implications of what the value actually means is his biggest failing as a writer (the most infamous example of this being the iconic height of the wall, which iirc Martin was shocked by how it actually looked when they were initially putting the tv show together because he realised the idea of wildlings fairly easily scaling it to raids doesnt fit with its size.

George: "I want to do a fantasy series that is nonetheless gritty and realistic and basically reflects how people lived in the middle ages"

Publisher: "That sounds great"

George: "Also, I want it to be like Home Alone where children are able to easily defeat silly and yucky grownups"

Publisher: "Get out"

I can't see how they conceivably would be (awful ratings), for the first ep anyway. Surely it was always going to draw huge numbers at first just on the strength of its name.

Quite possibly, but still think they were understandably cautious. But yes I would have thought they'd wait a few weeks to see if it was sustained interest.

Bit of a mean streak in this; but yeh that flabbergasted look towards the end of the last episode was priceless.

All those years of putting up with Norman I am tipping.
saw a clip of her on Colbert or something the other day.

I knew she was british but you'd never pick it watching her work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought they'd wait a few weeks to see if it was sustained interest.

With the exponential ratings increase for GoT, I would have figured any HBO decision-maker would already have banked on 3 seasons of this show.

Just for DVDs, overseas sales and overall network promotion. And that's even without the ratings which are roughly the same as GoT season one.

Jamie was knighted and joined the kings guard at 16..

Probably my least favourite episode so far. Not much seemed to happen.

But it does set up the storyline moving forward.

I see another slight Time jump coming?
Gee. I thought it was easily the best episode yet. The scene between the kids and the stand off afterwards was awesome.

Not much happened? Were we watching the same episode?

Last edited:
The scenes I can do without are the Corlys and Rhaenys interactions.

I swear we’ve had about three scenes of them talking about exactly the same thing with zero development - I gave up wanting it years ago, but it’s about your ambitions! We get it haha.

The tension. Was a great set up for future episodes as sides were taken , allies enlisted and wounds opened

The funeral scene was

the-good-bad-and-the-ugly-stare-down.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back