Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

Some sporting personalities dislike the media and aren't shy about it

A Carlton fan should know this better than anyone

Raiders fans would know more about that. Seeing as Al spent his life antagonizing the media. Like Malthouse currently doing.

It's not that that's "wtf" it's why Foster has turned against the local media.

Welcome to Houston

View attachment 77121

Ryan Mallett

Now make the most of the opportunities that come your way !!
If Mallett sees the field, expect a QB who lacks a little polish on the touch throws but an absolute monster if you're looking to exploit a vertical passing game. Mallett's got a serious rocket and given his relationship with BOB, it's a great outcome for both player and coach. He'll be AJ's best friend on the deep passing routes.

If Mallett sees the field, expect a QB who lacks a little polish on the touch throws but an absolute monster if you're looking to exploit a vertical passing game. Mallett's got a serious rocket and given his relationship with BOB, it's a great outcome for both player and coach. He'll be AJ's best friend on the deep passing routes.

Gees Garropolo must be good then!

Gees Garropolo must be good then!
It's more Garoppolo is better suited to the Patriots O than Mallett (although Pancho has looked and played very well this preseason and the Pats need the roster position). Mallett is more Bledsoe than Brady. If given the opportunity, I firmly believe he can be a starting QB in the NFL. He came to New England with more skills than Cassel and Hoyer.

No good being greedy

-----

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Lance Zierlein of Sports Talk 790 in Houston reports the Texans tried to trade for Eagles QB Matt Barkley before acquiring Ryan Mallett from the Patriots.

Zierlein is plugged into all things Texans, so we don't doubt its validity. The Philadelphia News and Inquirer reported last weekend that the Eagles were "open" to the idea of dealing Barkley. Houston likely didn't want to part with anything more than a late-round pick -- which was the price for Mallett -- while Philadelphia probably wanted at least a fourth-rounder for Barkley, considering it used the 98th overall pick on Barkley in last year's draft.

Five Good Questions with Battle Red Blog
By Levi Damien on Sep 12 2014, 10:01a 97

450285093.0_standard_783.0.jpg

For this week's five good questions, I spoke with Brett Kollman from SB Nation's Texans blog, Battle Red Blog and asked him a few questions about the team he covers. Here is that Q-n-A session.

1. It seems to me a team like the Texans simply needed a stabilizing presence at the quarterback position and Ryan Fitzpatrick is that type of quarterback. Has that been the feeling around those parts with regard to Fitz? How far do you think he can take the Texans?

Fitz has been okay, but it is quite obvious that he is not the long term answer. The "savior of the franchise" role seems to be laid out at Ryan Mallett's feet, and I'm willing to bet that Bill O'Brien intends for Mallett to take this team over sooner rather than later. He is a far superior physical talent, and if his preseason tape is anything to go by, a better football brain as well ( http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/9/3/6100837/the-film-room-ryan-mallett-houston-we-have-a-monster ). As for how far this team can go with Fitzpatrick at the helm before Mallett eventually takes over, I would put the club in contention for a wild card spot. They may not have an elite quarterback, but few teams possess as much top to bottom talent in the league as the Texans. If the run game stays on point and the defense lives up to expectations, this team can do some damage late in the year.

2. Is everyone over there disappointed they don't get to face Schaub? Or are they more excited to see David Carr's little brother take the field against them?

The draft aficionado in me is more excited to see Carr than Schaub. Texans fans already know what Schaub is - we endured it all last season. Carr, however, provides some promise and excitement that no other quarterback on the Oakland roster can match. I had my doubts when the Raiders took Carr at the top of the second round, but I will admit that he has had some very impressive moments in his young career. Make no mistake, the kid can sling it. Whether he can still sling it when J.J. Watt is constantly burrowing into his rib cage, however, is something that remains to be seen.

3. That defense in Houston was very highly ranked, although it seemed like it could have been more a factor of the inept offense - a similar situation to the 2006 Raiders. But that opening game against the Redskins... Take me through what's going on with the defense.

Romeo Crennel operates a classic bend-but-don't-break scheme that showed up big against the Redskins. Two Washington fumbles inside the ten yard line took a lot of points off the board when the Texans needed it most, and if all goes to plan that same philosophy will come through against the Raiders. I would not be surprised if Oakland racks up a lot of yards against Crennel's relatively conservative Cover-2 zone base, but they may not get a lot of points.

4. How big of a loss is Jadeveon Clowney?

Monumental. Believe it or not, Clowney was actually looking better than advertised this preseason. His physical presence is something that simply cannot be replaced. If I were the Raiders offensive line coach, I would consider myself very lucky that my guys did not have to worry about blocking both Clowney and J.J. Watt at the same time.

5. What about this Texans team is largely misconceived and could surprise some people?

The run game. This might be the best team of blockers that Arian Foster has ever had, which should scare a lot of defensive coordinators around the league. If #23 is healthy and has creases to work with, look out. Foster's battles this weekend with Sio Moore and Khalil Mack should be supremely entertaining.

To see my answers to his questions, click here

Raiders will get close. Redskins ran the ball too easily at times last week. Morris and Helu ran for over ave. 7 yards a carry. Offensively all we did was the 76 yd pass to Hopkins although run game was ok. Interested to see how Carr goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Raiders will get close. Redskins ran the ball too easily at times last week. Morris and Helu ran for over ave. 7 yards a carry. Offensively all we did was the 76 yd pass to Hopkins although run game was ok. Interested to see how Carr goes

Well maybe not. Good solid old school type win. Controlled the clock and the game.

Fitzpatrick was a good game manager, his test will come when we're behind against good teams.
Foster was terrific, but won't last the season if he has to carry it 28 times a game. Blue was ok but the depth at RB is a worry.
OLine playing better this season. Secondary looks ok but again real test will be against better teams. Still look vulnerable when teams run it up the middle.
Watt was quiet but that's ok, that won't last.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/09/watch-j-j-watt-with-a-touchdown-reception/#26752101=0

JJ Watt's touchdown reception.

"J.J. Watt recorded his first career reception, a 1-yard touchdown catch, in the first quarter on Sunday.

Watt, lined up as a tight end in a goal line situation, and scored on a reception from Ryan Fitzpatrick to start the day’s blowout.

Afterward, when asked to talk about the catch, Watt deadpanned, “Which one?”

But he went on to admit it made him “feel like a little kid. … It’s fortunate the team put enough trust in me to put me out there and, obviously Fitz made a heckuva of a throw. It’s pretty neat.”

Report: Texans are getting frustrated with Clowney
Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
clowney.jpg
AP
When Jadeveon Clowney emerged from South Carolina, the red flags were flying. And the Texans ignored them. Maybe they wish they hadn’t.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the Texans are getting “frustrated” with Clowney, who may miss Sunday’s game with an illness. Rapoport adds that the Texans want Clowney to “grow up” and be “more mature.”

Perhaps there’s more going on behind the scenes, but Clowney already has dealt with a lot. He had a sports hernia that required surgery in June — and he didn’t milk it at all during training camp. He tore a meniscus in his regular-season debut, potentially due to the franchise’s failure to provide the players with a sufficient field.

While it’s possible that he could play through his current illness (not enough about the illness is known to know whether he can), it seems odd that the Texans already would be frustrated with a guy who has had legitimate conditions and injuries. It’s even more odd that they’d admit it, since it’s not as if there wasn’t a risk that Clowney wouldn’t work as hard as he needs to in order to thrive at the NFL level.

His college coach questioned Clowney’s work ethic, for crying out loud. The warnings were there, and the Texans knew it. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have been dangling the pick before the draft. If they hadn’t asked for so much in trade, Clowney could have been someone else’s problem right now.

The problem could get worse if Clowney suspects that the team is leaking these concerns to the media company the team partially owns in order to get him to step up. While the report may provoke a response from Clowney, it may not be the one they’re hoping for.

Thought we might just sneak in for that 6th seed playoff spot there for a while.

Apart from just missing that last playoff spot i am pleased with our season, 9-7 and JJ having another 20 sack season gives us a great foundation to fight for playoffs next year. Kudos to BOB for getting the best out of the team, lets hope Clowney has better luck next year with injuries.

Go Texans
tex.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back