Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What should Houston do?

coasting said:
If they do take Bush, I predict they will win a superbowl within 5 years.

Unless Bush also plays wide receiver, offensive line, tight end (well if he cant block they wont be any worse off), cornerback, safety and kicker....they need help everywhere to make the conference finals, let alone a Bowl.

I'd take a pay cut to get out of Houston.

wizard_9 said:
Kubiak has already said he rates Carr highly as a QB which is basically saying he wants Bush with number 1, here is a few reasons why Bush is the guy for Texas.
1. He is the best avaliable player
2. He would work well in tandem with Davis
3. He is so marketable, and thats exactly something the texans need right now. Someone they can market there franchise behind, just remember having number 1 in such a draft is the highlight in this franchises history. So that rules out trading down.

Reasons for taking Bush -

1. It will sell tickets and keep fans quiet for a season or two
2. He is the best player available

Reasons for not taking Bush

1. His name (only joking)
2. Why strengthen one of your very few strengths, Davis is capable - there other needs are numerous
3. Playing RB for USC (where talent abounds) and Houston (where talent abounds in the visiting change rooms) is a different thing. Its hard to run the ball when everyone knows it is your only option.
4. You may be able to trade, pick up a player/s and still be in a reasonable position in the draft....a lot of teams will see Bush as there missing piece of the puzzle....make em pay

If it was me - I'd listen to the trades but stopping the QB getting sacked, generating some off from passing, getting something form the T/end position to keep the defence honest ......a lot of problems. I'd be hoping to get an experienced player/s for some leadership and pick up some more talent via draft and free agency.

The only way is up - they need more than Bush but if the offer aint there take him.

But they will take him as its the safe option.

If they are to trade it they would be stupid to trade any further down than 3, and than thats basically a waste of time. Bush, Young and Leinhart are like Hodge, Ball and Judd from the super draft they are heads and shoulders above anyone else.

Just for ********s and giggles, a little something from left field... no way will it ever happen...

Houston trades David Carr and #1 overall to Atlanta for Michael Vick, and Atlanta's 1st and 2nd rounder.

The Texans get a QB who won't get sacked cos he outruns the defenders, and the Falcons get someone who can get the ball to their receivers. Houston gets a couple of Day 1 picks to fill their many holes, and Atlanta takes Bush to replace Dunn who is the wrong side of 30. And Bush is just as marketable as Vick so both teams win really. :D

fuey said:
Just for ********s and giggles, a little something from left field... no way will it ever happen...

Houston trades David Carr and #1 overall to Atlanta for Michael Vick, and Atlanta's 1st and 2nd rounder.

The Texans get a QB who won't get sacked cos he outruns the defenders, and the Falcons get someone who can get the ball to their receivers. Houston gets a couple of Day 1 picks to fill their many holes, and Atlanta takes Bush to replace Dunn who is the wrong side of 30. And Bush is just as marketable as Vick so both teams win really. :D

Bush for Vick .......well both have achieved a lot in their careers to date.

wizard_9 said:
If they are to trade it they would be stupid to trade any further down than 3, and than thats basically a waste of time. Bush, Young and Leinhart are like Hodge, Ball and Judd from the super draft they are heads and shoulders above anyone else.

Agree about Bush and Leinart but not Young. Check out this scouting report of Young, I think this sums him up pretty well...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/profiles/VinceYoung.htm

fuey said:

A 1st and a 2nd is way too steep. Not that this would ever happen, but if it did it would be more like a 1st and 4th or 5th (at most, maybe just the 1st), given that Vick is a Pro Bowler (which is a JOKE!).

By the way, I heard that at a recent Hawks game, they showed Vick on the Jumbotron and it was about 50/50 cheers to boos. I guess the honeymoon is over. It should also be noted Atlanta is not noted as a rough town, so that is pretty significant.

I think they will probably take Bush. They have too many problems to just fix with one guy, its going to take a few years. At least Bush will get the fan base excited a sell some jerseys. If someone came to them with an offer they couldn't refuse, then maybe they'd think about it. But if they did trade down and it didn't work, they would just alienate the fans even more. Obviously they need O-line help to protect Carr, but to trade down and take an O-lineman is risky. The list of lineman picked in the first round who were busts is long. You can pick up quality O-linemen in later rounds or free agency. A lot of O-line play is technique. You can take guys who are big and strong and may not be highly rated a make them into good O-linemen. Talent like Bush has is rare. If he went on to be great and they gave him up for some guys who weren't, just to get depth, I think it would be a mistake.

I can't see them trading the #1 pick. If Bush hadn't grabbed headlines like he did this season then there may be some logic in it, but I can't see them trading it now. A franchise needs to give the impression they know what they are doing (unless like Benson you want to leave town) and Bush is such a no-brainer that if he fails they won't be held accountable. When you're trying to attract FA's and keep the ones you have, credibility becomes a huge issue.

Having said all that though, ultimately in most organisations decisions like trading the number 1 pick need to support of the owner. It's why the same teams make so many mistakes time and time again. I just can’t see the Texans wanting to risk losing any credibility they might have left. If a super deal comes along then it’s possible, but it would need to be an absolute no-brainer (as much as Bush).

I can’t see New Orleans trading our pick either in part for the same reason. However, it would make sense for the Saints to trade since their position isn’t really a true reflection of the talent they have. They really did have a season from hell. IMO it will be more interesting to see what New Orleans do given the QB situation than it will be with the Texans (because I don’t think they will trade) - and not just because I’m a Saints fan either. If they trade Brooks and don’t trade down they will still need to draft a starting QB. They’d be crazy to go into a season without a proven starter - but it is Benson we are talking about here.

JeffDunne said:
Having said all that though, ultimately in most organisations decisions like trading the number 1 pick need to support of the owner. It's why the same teams make so many mistakes time and time again. I just can’t see the Texans wanting to risk losing any credibility they might have left. If a super deal comes along then it’s possible, but it would need to be an absolute no-brainer (as much as Bush).

I can’t see New Orleans trading our pick either in part for the same reason. However, it would make sense for the Saints to trade since their position isn’t really a true reflection of the talent they have. They really did have a season from hell. IMO it will be more interesting to see what New Orleans do given the QB situation than it will be with the Texans (because I don’t think they will trade) - and not just because I’m a Saints fan either. If they trade Brooks and don’t trade down they will still need to draft a starting QB. They’d be crazy to go into a season without a proven starter - but it is Benson we are talking about here.

Most of my sentiments. I agree that the Saints are in a completely different situation. Don't know if this got mentioned elsewhere (like maybe the coaching carousel thread), but Mike Martz said that if he could have any of the open jobs (at the time they were open), he would want the Saints job. That they have the most to work with going foward. The problem with the Saints is that they are going to have a hell of a time getting any decent free agents until they figure out where they are going to be long term. And if it is NO, then until NO isn't totally f*cked. If they thought they could trade down and still get a good QB, they might do it. I'm not sure about Leinart. He seems like he kind of has a slow release. Fine in the PAC10, where they don't play defense, but I don't think he is a sure thing in the NFL. Maybe someone like Cutler. Didn't see much of Cutler, but he certainly played good defenses in the SEC. Then again, they'll probably take Leinart, and then play in the Coliseum in a few years.

Cutler looked very ordinary at the Senior Bowl. I think he is extremely over rated. Has a good arm but is plagued by bad decisions. He is a bit too much like Kyle Boller IMO. If you are looking for a QB in the 2nd round I would take Charlie Whitehurst.

coasting said:
Cutler looked very ordinary at the Senior Bowl. I think he is extremely over rated. Has a good arm but is plagued by bad decisions. He is a bit too much like Kyle Boller IMO. If you are looking for a QB in the 2nd round I would take Charlie Whitehurst.

He will go ten if still avaliable. If he is still there the Cards wont hesitate in taking him, give him a year working with Warner and he will be fine. Was the Senior Bowl shown in Australia mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gotta admit i don't know a lot about NFL, but i have seen reggie bush play this year in the USA and it would take a brave man not to take this guy @#1. His speed & agility made all off the defences look like pub team defences. He would be nearly the greatest ever running back.

Nicko41 said:
Houston have the chance to pick up one of the most exciting RBs in History but they already have a very good and young RB. What are your opinions?
I beleive they should pick up Bush and put Davis on the Block or use both. they could get a very good player for Davis if they put him on the Block. Why not pick up Bush if he could be better than Davis. Bush is like the LeBron James of the NFL or pick up Ferguson to icrease the strengh on the O-Line to help Davis

David Carr is a sellout trade him while he still has some value and pick up leinert or young

Re: Texans will choose Bush

I would have thought the Saints would have more pressing needs than DE. Will Smith is a good player, and Grant is solid, so while Mario is a talent, there's other players as good as him available after Bush.

I see them taking the 10-12 year LT in Ferguson, or AJ Hawk, who would considerably bolster a fairly suspect linebacking group. Either that or they'll trade down and give some other team a crack at Leinart.

I get the feeling Mario Williams is becoming a product of his own hype, he's good, but with all the media he's getting you'd think he's the second coming of Reggie White.

No suprises - Bush was always going number 1.

Will be interesting to see how the Saints go - I'd still pick Leinart if nobody trades up and then try and trade him. Williams at #2 is a big risk IMO (especially given we have other needs). Wouldn't be upset with either Ferguson or Hawk but I think we should get more value out of the #2 pick. Either way the Saints should get a player.

JeffDunne said:
No suprises - Bush was always going number 1.

Will be interesting to see how the Saints go - I'd still pick Leinart if nobody trades up and then try and trade him. Williams at #2 is a big risk IMO (especially given we have other needs). Wouldn't be upset with either Ferguson or Hawk but I think we should get more value out of the #2 pick. Either way the Saints should get a player.

If i were in their position i would jump on Leinart and trade down. If they dont take Williams i dont think he would go until about 5. So then they could get Williams and than some and for Leinart.

Texans will nab Bush - no doubt....

I am getting a strong feeling that the Jets and Saints may swap picks. Jets to 2 and Saints to 4 (Saints may pick up an extra 3rd rounder).

I think the Saints really want D'Brickashaw Ferguson and are just feigning interest in Williams to tempt the Jets to trade. Ferguson will provide backside protection for Brees and help create running lanes for McAllister. If the Jets don't bite, I can still see the Saints taking Ferguson at #2. Jets want a pass rusher to cover the loss of Abraham. Its just a question of how bad they want him.

Titans will go the safe option and take Leinart at 3. I think Norm Chow's influence and history will be the deciding factor.

Look for the Bills to trade back and get better value for their pick, which they will spend on either Winston Justice, Haloti Ngata or Broderick Bunkley. A QB hungry team may want to jump into the top 10 to get a sliding Vince Young or Jay Cutler.

Draft day throws up so many surprises, so I could be way off the mark. I wonder if Javon Walker will be traded on Draft Day??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back