Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Remove this Banner Ad

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Texans are expected to retain coach David Culley for 2022.

"Barring an unforeseen turn of events, the Texans are expected to finalize that decision next week," Howe reported. The 66-year-old's hiring was widely first guessed last winter. He had never coordinated an offense or defense at any level and was perceived as primarily a CEO caretaker who would "wear" the Texans' arduous rebuild. Instead his team has overachieved for the majority of the year, third-round rookie Davis Mills has out-produced most of his first-round compatriots, and the Texans have overcome severe talent deficiencies to play decent defense. Culley's squads have been well organized. He may ultimately still prove to be a bridge coach whose main accomplishment is preventing the organization from outright embarrassing itself, but Culley has absolutely earned another year.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Jan 2, 2022, 10:14 PM ET

With no Watson this year did anyone expect the Texans to win 4 games?

They went 2-2 in their last 4 games of the year and gave the no 1 seed a close run in the final game. Surely he deserved at least another year?

With no Watson this year did anyone expect the Texans to win 4 games?

They went 2-2 in their last 4 games of the year and gave the no 1 seed a close run in the final game. Surely he deserved at least another year?
Not sure how much input Culley had. Caserio was talking to him during games and discussing what to do. Clearly was always a short term solution.

Nick Caserio: We had philosophical differences with David Culley over long-term direction of program

Posted by Charean Williams on January 13, 2022, 8:05 PM EST

Texans General Manager Nick Caserio will hold a news conference Friday morning after firing head coach David Culley on Thursday, four days after the team’s season ended. Caserio released a statement through the team Thursday night about the decision.

“Earlier today, I met with David Culley and Tim Kelly to inform them we will be moving in a different direction at the head coach and offensive coordinator positions,” Caserio said in the statement. “I came to this difficult but necessary decision after reviewing our football operation. While a change after one season is unusual, we had philosophical differences over the long-term direction and vision for our program moving forward. We appreciate coach Culley for helping us navigate through a difficult season, but it is my responsibility to make decisions that I feel are best for our organization. The search for the next coach of the Houston Texans will begin immediately.”

Firing a coach after one season is not as unusual as some may think. Culley became the 13th one-and-done head coach since 2006.

But after being given arguably the worst roster in the NFL, Culley was set up to fail. He ended up winning the same number of games in 2021 that the Texans did in 2020 with Deshuan Watson. Watson was inactive for all 17 games this season and is expected to be traded in the offseason.

Culley signed a four-year deal with the Texans less than a year ago, and he told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle that his contract is guaranteed through 2025.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports the Texans owe Culley another $17 million over the next three years, allowing Culley to walk away with some $22 million.

“I loved every minute of being the head coach of the Houston Texans,” Culley said in a statement. “I appreciate the players and coaches for staying the course with me through the ups and downs of our season. I’m disappointed we didn’t win more games and I won’t have a chance to improve on the lessons I’ve learned, but I fully understand this is a bottom-line business, and I didn’t do enough. I want to thank the McNair Family and Nick Caserio for giving me this opportunity. I am forever grateful for the experience. I wish this team and organization the best. They are building a special program, and I truly believe the future is bright for Texans fans.”

The Texans, who have become one of most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL, now are seeking to hire their fourth head coach in less than 15 months following Bill O’Brien, interim coach Romeo Crennel and Culley.

“We are grateful for the energy and passion David brought to our organization throughout last season,” Texans chair and chief executive officer Cal McNair said in a statement. “We wish him, his wife Carolyn and their entire family nothing but the best moving forward. I have entrusted Nick Caserio to lead football performance and I have complete confidence he will find the best leader for our team. These decisions are difficult, but Nick believed it was necessary for the future of our organization. We look forward to continuing to build our roster and finding the right coach to lead us forward.”

By all appearances, David Culley was hired to be fired

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2022, 3:55 PM EST

Why did the Texans fire David Culley after one year? The better question is why did they ever hire him?

It appears that Culley was hired to be fired. Given that the franchise was in shambles upon the arrival of G.M. Nick Caserio, it would have been difficult if not impossible to get a coach with options (like Josh McDaniels) to opt for a season that would have resulted in the attachment of a 4-13 record, or perhaps even worse, to his record.

So the solution was to pick someone who had no options. Someone who never was even regarded as a head-coaching candidate. Someone who would be thrilled to take the job, because it was the only one he was ever going to get.

The Texans likely knew from the get-go that another bad season would happen, making it easy to justify a one-and-done tenure for Culley.

The team is pushing to the media outlet that it partially owns the notion that the decision was made after four days of careful evaluation. Horsecrap. They knew what they were doing before a Week 18 loss to the Titans. The four-day delay was intended, in our view, to create the impression that they sat down, rolled up their sleeves, and engaged in a full and complete evaluation of Culley’s first year, even if they knew months ago what would happen.

If they truly engaged in a fair evaluation of Culley, he wouldn’t have been fired. To go 4-13 with arguably the worst roster in football is no small feat. To develop rookie quarterback Davis Mills into perhaps the best of the 2021 class, so far, is noteworthy.

Then there’s the fact that Culley was being micromanaged during games by Caserio. How can any in-game failures be pinned to him when he constantly was having his boss look over this shoulder and/or tell him what to do?

Waiting four days put the Texans behind the teams already looking for coaches. That would matter if the Texans didn’t know who they were hiring. If, as some believe, they’ll hire McDaniels, it’s a safe bet that Caserio and Jack Easterby planned this move not last week or last month but last year.

Hey, maybe I’m wrong. We’ll see what Caserio or Easterby (if he comes out of hiding) have to say when pressed for answers during a press conference.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there were offensive "philosophical differences" between former Texans head coach David Culley and Houston brass.

Rapoport said the team wanted Culley to commit to major changes on the offensive side of the ball. Culley balked, and the team fired him after one season at the helm. The Texans also fired offensive coordinator Tim Kelly. There were other areas of concern for the Texans, including Culley's in-game decision making and team disciplinary issues, according to Rapoport. The Texans could take a close look at Jerod Mayo, the former New England linebacker and current Patriots defensive assistant with close ties to Houston GM Nick Caserio.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 14, 2022, 8:19 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there were offensive "philosophical differences" between former Texans head coach David Culley and Houston brass.

Rapoport said the team wanted Culley to commit to major changes on the offensive side of the ball. Culley balked, and the team fired him after one season at the helm. The Texans also fired offensive coordinator Tim Kelly. There were other areas of concern for the Texans, including Culley's in-game decision making and team disciplinary issues, according to Rapoport. The Texans could take a close look at Jerod Mayo, the former New England linebacker and current Patriots defensive assistant with close ties to Houston GM Nick Caserio.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 14, 2022, 8:19 AM ET

Philosophical differences for Caserio means he did better than they thought and actually won some games.

Nick Caserio on wearing headset during games: You want to make sure you try to get things right

Posted by Josh Alper on January 18, 2022, 2:51 PM EST

During a December press conference, then-Texans head coach David Culley discussed his in-game communications with General Manager Nick Caserio after being asked about Caserio being on a coaching headset on Sundays.

Culley said the conversations covered the team’s approaches to situational football and that “being able to have those things ahead of time allows us and allows our play callers to be able to do the things that they need to do.”

Caserio would also be on a headset when he worked with the Patriots and he said on Sports Radio 610 on Tuesday that there’s “no big mystery” involved in having an analytics or personnel person involved in such communications. He said his title means his participation got “a little bit magnified,” but that the goal “is to provide clarity” about the decisions the team is making in games.

“This year, it was more just listening, observing,” Caserio said. “It there was things that came up during the game that we needed to talk about, situationally, then we would communicate that. My philosophy and goal has always been to just provide information where necessary, be a resource and be as helpful as possible, whatever that constitution is. I’m a very amenable person, very open-minded. But ultimately, you just want to make sure you try to get things right in the course of the game. And candidly, there’s been times when I’ve been wrong and I’ve made a lot of mistakes as well, so we all try to learn from that.”

Culley won’t be on the other end of the headset after getting fired last week, but it doesn’t sound like Caserio’s planning to change the team’s mode of operation with a new head coach in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charles Omenihu on difference from Texans to 49ers: “It’s not a circus show here”

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 20, 2022, 12:25 AM EST

The San Francisco 49ers acquired defensive end Charles Omenihu in a trade with the Houston Texans in November.

Two months later, the Texans season is over and the 49ers are set to face the Green Bay Packers in the Divisional Round of the NFC playoffs this weekend.

That’s reason enough for Omenihu to feel happy for his new circumstances with the 49ers.

However, there are a few more things that go into Omenihu’s happiness in the Bay Area.
Via Jennifer Lee Chan of NBC Sports Bay Area, Omenihu praised his new surroundings after a few rough years for the Texans franchise.

It’s not a circus show here,” Omenihu said. “You guys definitely have things down pat and you know what you want of the players and the coaches know the expectations. It’s very thought out and said. It’s been nothing but good.”

The Texans have had one issue after another in recent years. They’re on their third general manager since Rick Smith stepped away from the job for personal reasons. They will have a third coach in as many seasons after dumping David Culley after just one year. Jack Easterby has usurped a massive influence under chairman Cal McNair.

With the 49ers, the dynamic is much more coherent.

“A lot more structure,” Omenihu said. “The leadership between the coach and the GM, it doesn’t seem like it’s a power struggle. It’s very like they are on the same page. They have an understanding what they want. They make it very clear what they want from GM to head coach and head coach to the position coaches.”

Omenihu played his most snaps since joining the 49ers in the team’s win over the Dallas Cowboys last week. He recorded 1.5 sacks and had tackles with three quarterback hits and a forced fumble in helping the 49ers advance to face the Packers. Joining the 49ers has provided some needed rejuvenation.

“Definitely a breath of fresh air for sure,” Omenihu said of the 49ers. “This year has been a long year for me personally. My third year didn’t go, as far as early on, how I thought it would be, coming off my second year. A combination of what I was going through over there.

“So coming here was definitely a breath of fresh air. I love it, the organization has a lot of structure and it is not an ego driven, it’s not a power struggle either. It’s definitely good to experience that.”

Texans hope someone else will interview Josh McCown

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2022, 9:56 AM EST

The Texans interviewed long-time NFL quarterback Josh McCown for the head-coaching job a year ago, despite the fact that McCown has no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity. They’ve interviewed him again this year, despite the fact that (checks notes) McCown still has no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity.

There’s building chatter in league circles that the Texans really want to hire McCown. Some in the media possibly have been enlisted to spin the notion that it’s not as crazy as it sounds. (It is.)

The Texans apparently know they need more than a supportive tweet from one of G.M. Nick Caserio’s reporter-friends. They believe they need, as we hear it, another team to interview McCown in order to legitimate and normalize the notion of McCown going straight to the job of head coach, despite having no experience coaching college or pro football, in any capacity.

Will someone do it? Maybe. Many favors are traded in the NFL, for many different reasons. What if, for example, the Jaguars decide to do a solid for McCown’s agent, Mike McCartney, who also represents Michigan pass rusher Asa Hutchinson? How long does it take? Two hours? The time spent could help set the right tone for the inevitable Hutchinson contract talks.

The point for now is that the Texans are seriously considering hiring McCown, despite no coaching experience at the college or pro level, in any capacity. And maybe they will.

If it works, great. If it doesn’t, they can always fire him after a year, citing “philosophical differences.”

I feel really bad for anyone who is a Houston Texans fans with these muppets running the show.

Pro Football Network's Aaron Wilson reports the Jaguars have had a "conversation" with Josh McCown about the team's head coaching vacancy.​

This is a transparent attempt to legitimize McCown -- a longtime journeyman NFL quarterback with zero college or pro coaching experience -- as a head coaching candidate for Houston. ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio suggested Friday that "some in the media possibly have been enlisted to spin the notion that [hiring McCown as head coach] is not as crazy as it sounds." The Texans interviewed McCown for their head coaching job last offseason and have again expressed interest after firing David Culley last week. No one should be surprised if Texans vice president of football operations Jack Easterby -- perhaps the worst executive in professional sports -- manages to get McCown, 42, hired as Houston's next head coach.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jan 21, 2022, 10:51 AM ET

Report: Jaguars had a “conversation” this week with Josh McCown

Posted by Mike Florio on January 21, 2022, 12:24 PM EST

The Texans want another team to interview former NFL quarterback Josh McCown for a head-coaching vacancy, to legitimize Houston’s plan to hire him. Will the Texans settle for a “conversation”?

Aaron Wilson reported on Friday morning that the Jaguars had a “conversation” this week with McCown. Michael Silver thereafter reported that the “conversation” was not an interview. Wilson then conceded that McCown simply had a “talk” with G.M. Trent Baalke and not a formal interview.

As we reported earlier in the day, the Texans had hoped to finagle a Jaguars “interview” for McCown. By creating the impression that other teams are considering McCown, it doesn’t seem quite as nutty for the Texans to hire him.

So will the Texans proceed, even if McCown can’t get an actual “interview” with any of the other teams that are looking for head coaches?

As some have pointed out, why do the Texans even care? Will anyone believe it’s less unconventional to actually hire McCown if someone else actually interviews him? The fact that the Texans realize that McCown’s candidacy needs to be boosted by another interview shows they know just how crazy it would be to hire him.

And now we wait to see whether they will.

Josh McCown gets second interview to be Texans head coach

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 28, 2022, 2:31 PM EST

The Texans are serious about hiring the completely inexperienced Josh McCown as their head coach.

McCown is getting his second interview with the Texans today, according to NFL Network.

It is believed that McCown is the only candidate to get a second interview. That’s usually a good sign that he’s viewed as the top candidate by the team’s decision-makers, including owner Cal McNair, executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby and General Manager Nick Caserio.

McCown had a long career as an NFL quarterback, mostly as a backup, and has never coached other than some volunteer work at the high school level. He would be the least experienced head coach hired in the NFL in many decades if the Texans hire him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back