Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

Reggie Bowl

This week's game between San Francisco and Houston may find the winner of the elusive number 1 draft pick.
Houston lose it's theirs.
Houston win and we come down to strength of schedue tiebreakers between Houston, San Francisco, Green Bay (if they lose to Seattle), New Orleans (if they lose to Tampa Bay) and the New York Jets (if they lose their last two).
My moneys on the saints to get the number 1 pick followed by green bay and houston.

Re: Reggie Bowl

balmainforever said:
This week's game between San Francisco and Houston may find the winner of the elusive number 1 draft pick.
Houston lose it's theirs.
Houston win and we come down to strength of schedue tiebreakers between Houston, San Francisco, Green Bay (if they lose to Seattle), New Orleans (if they lose to Tampa Bay) and the New York Jets (if they lose their last two).
My moneys on the saints to get the number 1 pick followed by green bay and houston.

Whether the Texans pick up a QB or RBush is anyone's guess but I think it's time the NFL look at having a lottery like the NBA when it comes to the fist round draft picks so that throws out 'tanking' games which is destroying the fabric of the game in the last week.

Don't agree Woodson, as in the AFL people talk of tanking but the reality is something different.

The Texans are playing harder than they have all season, the 49'ers are under-manned but are playing hard, the Jets too are playing better than they have for ages . . . other than the Saints I don't think there's a team you could suggest are tanking.

The Saints problems aren't an attempt to lose though (I don't believe). The issues with benching Brooks & Howard are IMO more issues being brought to a head after a season from hell. The Saints are going to bench AB, he's getting absolutely no protection (if your O-Line don't like you they can make your life hell), so it makes sense to protect him from injury and not risk a trade.

If the Saints get the #1 pick, I'd expect them to trade down a position or two.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

the Jets will lose today but we have a chance against the Bills next week. i reckon we'l finish 4-12.

and JD, can you please explain why Kerry Collins was 'rested' for the raiders match against the Jets, once it was certain after Oakland's loss against the Chargers the week before that they had no chance of making it to the post-season?

did norv turner put the best team on the park that day to win the football game? incidently, the jets won the game taking our record to 3-10.

bring in the lottery, in both the nfl and afl.

Can't really speak for the Raiders as they are one team I lost in interest in months ago, but I suspect the fact he started against Cleveland blows your theory out of the water.

Teams don't tank - although Oakland would be a team and owner I could see doing it - Benson also.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

There is no tanking in the NFL like there is in the AFL because of:

1) Free Agency - Better teams get the better free agents. If your team stinks, you'll struggle to draw free agents. Also your own free agents will leave in droves if they think the team isn't trying to win.

2) Job Security - There is alot less Job Security in the NFL. NFL stands for 'Not For Long'.

3) Rookie Wage Scale - High draft picks get paid millions of dollars. Even the #1 pick gets paid millions of dollars more than the #2 pick. This is bad because teams with high picks chew up large amounts of salary cap on players who may never amount to anything while high placed teams spend less and so will have more salary cap to spend on free agents.

I *think* that provided New Orleans loses next week, we're guaranteed at least #2 pick, depending on if Houston wins - #1 pick if they do due to strength of schedule. Looks like either Bush or Leinart, I'm hoping so, to get a name to build a franchise around, sell jerseys etc, but Benson seems more intent on self destruction and will probably trade down for a late first and a second round pick and draft ANOTHER DE and DT. If the 2 picks managed to pick up Vince Young and AJ Hawk/Poszlusnly I wouldn't be sad, btu it would take some major work to make that happen.

I think most NFL players care too much about their stats and market value to deliberately play badly and lose... Coaches... if they want another job, W-L record means everything.

One more week to go. By far the worst season I've experienced as a Packer fan...

But I guess we're almost guaranteed a top 5 pick... if Houston wins, we're an outside chance at getting the #1 overall. Need a lot fo things to happen for it though...

If not Bush... I'd expect a Kiwanuka or Williams (Mario, Jimmy or DeAngelo, doesn't matter which) or Hawk...

For those keeping score...

1. Houston 2 13 0.5333
2. New Orleans 3 12 0.5167
3. NY Jets 3 12 0.5333
4. San Francisco 3 12 0.5417
5. Green Bay 3 12 0.5417

That's including the Week 17 Opponents current W-L record which is why it's different to the Reggie Sweepstakes site...

New Orleans is the best show for #1 if Houston wins...

fuey said:
For those keeping score...

1. Houston 2 13 0.5333
2. New Orleans 3 12 0.5167
3. NY Jets 3 12 0.5333
4. San Francisco 3 12 0.5417
5. Green Bay 3 12 0.5417

That's including the Week 17 Opponents current W-L record which is why it's different to the Reggie Sweepstakes site...

New Orleans is the best show for #1 if Houston wins...

If Houston wins it will probably end up like this
1. NO
2. NYJ
3. Texans

NO will probably draft Leinart because they cannot afford to go below two for leinart and they already have a good RB. Then the jets will get bush. At least i hope :)

Why the hell would Texans wanna win ?? A few weeks ago I couldn't help but think they delibrately missed that game winning/tie FG at the end against the Titans. :eek:

Just doesn't make sense to win this week. They NEED to total OVERHAUL and it starts with snaring the #1 draft pick. The other RB's can easily be shipped out/traded for reasonable O-lineman, there are QB's like McCown, Schaub, Ramsay, Garrard, Wright that may be replacement options for Carr.
This could be a defining game for the Texans, make no mistake...or in that case, make plenty of mistakes. :D

Whywouldn't the coach want them to win.
He's leaving and gunna make sure they gt the best player in college football. Not likely

Nicko41

Draftee
Mar 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Power and Seahawks
What should Houston do?

Houston have the chance to pick up one of the most exciting RBs in History but they already have a very good and young RB. What are your opinions?
I beleive they should pick up Bush and put Davis on the Block or use both. they could get a very good player for Davis if they put him on the Block. Why not pick up Bush if he could be better than Davis. Bush is like the LeBron James of the NFL or pick up Ferguson to icrease the strengh on the O-Line to help Davis

Re: What should Houston do?

Take Bush and hang onto Davis. Look at it this way if they dont take Bush they have to take Young or Leinhart and than they are in the same predicament. Bush and Davis are different RB's anyway, Bush likes to run to the outside and is more a reciever ala Marschall Faulk where as Davis is more of an inside runner. They could very well have a similar deal to what USC had with White and Bush this year.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

Keep both. Kubiak used a 2 running back system in Denver this last year and it worked well. Reggie Bush also operated in a 2 running back system in college with LenDale White. Bush is an electric player but is a bit small and he doesn't strike me as someone who could take the pounding of running it 30 times a game in the NFL. You'll need to keep him fresh.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

marcuz said:
I'd trade down as there will be plenty of teams dying to get their hands on Bush. Why not cash in on that desperation and get some quality O-Lineman to help keep Carr off his back.

They can get linemen later in the draft or in free agency. Its not often you get a chance at a player of Reggie Bush's talent and when you do get that chance you have to take it.

Jul 9, 2003
Bannockburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys,Notre Dame

coasting said:
They can get linemen later in the draft or in free agency. Its not often you get a chance at a player of Reggie Bush's talent and when you do get that chance you have to take it.

fair point...but if i was houston i'd at the very least listen to all offers. They maybe surprised what teams are willing to give up.

If I was GM... I'd take D'Brickashaw Ferguson. (Yeah, I'm a need over BPA guy.)

The problem isn't Carr or Davis, it's the OL. Yes, you can get O-Lineman any time, but Premiere Left Tackles don't grow on trees.

An offense is nothing without a half decent O-Line. Kubiak knows the value of a good line (or if they're not that good, play dirty...:) ).

Of course, it's be a brave GM not to take Bush at #1.

Not saying anything new here, but Houston's O line sucks flat out. Carr could be a good NFL QB, Davis will be a good RB. If I was Houston I'd trade down, there will be someone silly enough to give up everything to take Bush (White will be a better NFL RB IMHO), they have to get an O-Line in to give Carr some protection. D'Brick should be the guy they are after, for mine it's an easy call. RB's aren't that hard to come across, just last year S Alexander was being shipped around fora 3rd rounder and nobody bit. As long as they don't trade out of #1 to someone chasing a QB I'm happy.

Kubiak has already said he rates Carr highly as a QB which is basically saying he wants Bush with number 1, here is a few reasons why Bush is the guy for Texas.
1. He is the best avaliable player
2. He would work well in tandem with Davis
3. He is so marketable, and thats exactly something the texans need right now. Someone they can market there franchise behind, just remember having number 1 in such a draft is the highlight in this franchises history. So that rules out trading down.

Back