Teams Houston Texans - Battle Red

1.Miami

2.New York

Slightly less of a significant gap

3. Anyone else without a franchise QB who isnt the Saints ( 70m over the cap)

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm pretty loyal but if we lose Watson due to some religious influenced twat with no qualifications, I'm out. Was a big Warren Moon fan, Oilers were the first team I ever saw on TV, so was an Oilers man until I lost interest in the late 80's. Got back into it about 10 years ago and latched back on to Houston.
So looks like I might be jumping on the Titans, Tennessee is my favourite state, loved my time/s in Nashville and Memphis.
Watson goes to the Panthers be happy to jump on board with them, I like McCaffrey, Newton was their man for a while and I saw them knock off the Texans in Houston in 2019.
Fingers crossed Watson stays a Texan though.

I'm pretty loyal but if we lose Watson due to some religious influenced twat with no qualifications, I'm out. Was a big Warren Moon fan, Oilers were the first team I ever saw on TV, so was an Oilers man until I lost interest in the late 80's. Got back into it about 10 years ago and latched back on to Houston.
You’re like my twin. Harry? I’m in same boat re McNair and Friar Easterby

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Jets are Deshaun Watson's preferred trade partner.
The rightfully disgruntled franchise QB prefers the Jets "because they hired Robert Saleh to be their coach and Watson values Saleh so much he wanted the Texans to interview him for their vacant head coach job," according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero. The Dolphins, per Salguero, rank second on Watson's trade wish list. Recent reports out of Houston indicate it's a matter of when -- not if -- Watson is dealt away after the team's string of management mishaps that alienated the cornerstone of the franchise. Saleh has been complimentary of Sam Darnold, lauding the QB's "unbelievable arm talent," but has stopped short of naming him the Jets' 2021 starter. Darnold's shot at the starting gig would vanish the minute Watson is dealt to New York. Watson -- who has yet to officially request a trade -- would be a giant upgrade for all Jets pass catchers, including Jamison Crowder, Chris Herndon, and Denzel Mims,
Get an Edge: Check out the updated live odds, player props and projections with our exclusive Betting Tools, which you can get by purchasing the with EDGE⁺ Max premium package.
RELATED:
SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com
Jan 23, 2021, 2:17 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Texans hired Ravens passing game coordinator David Culley to be their head coach.
Houston Chronicle's John McClain had it first. Culley's hiring comes out of nowhere. The 65-year-old assistant has been in the NFL since 1994, yet has never called plays. His tenure as a positional coach includes being the WR coach for a Chiefs offense that scored zero WR touchdowns, being the QB coach for Josh Allen's 10/12 TD/INT rookie season, and being the passing-game coordinator of the Ravens most recently. That plays into why Culley has never interviewed for a head coaching job outside of this one time in Houston. The attention immediately turns to how Deshaun Watson views Culley, who becomes the second minority coach to be hired this cycle. Watson wanted Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to be considered, but he never seemed to be a serious candidate to Jack Easterby, GM Nick Caserio, and Cal McNair. Houston remains the epicenter of NFL drama heading into the offseason. Culley will have his hands full right away with the media, with his franchise quarterback, and with filling out a coaching staff. He's a respected leader within NFL circles, so perhaps he has success in a CEO-like role. Not every head coach needs to be the next offensive genius after all, and he may be able to relate to Watson.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 27, 2021, 9:36 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Texans are "targeting" Josh McCown and Lovie Smith as assistants.
The Texans were shredded for giving McCown a head-coaching interview over more qualified candidates, but all signs point to the former quarterback as being a future NFL coach. Being hired as a QBs coach or passing-game coordinator would be a reasonable start. Smith would bring a lot of experience to first-time head coach David Culley, and he's available after being fired by Illinois last December. The Texans have their offensive coordinator in Tim Kelly.
RELATED:
Jan 27, 2021, 10:38 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
New Texans coach David Culley's contract is for five years.
Culley, who has never called plays at any level, will be charged with managing the aftermath of a comically disastrous run for the Texans organization. Culley (very) likely won't get a chance to coach Deshaun Watson, who has requested a trade, and will have to deal with seemingly disillusioned superstar JJ Watt. Meanwhile, Will Fuller is a free agent and will certainly receive attention from several teams in the coming months. Brandin Cooks is signed through 2023 and David Johnson is signed through 2021. We could see significant turnover in Houston over the next year.
Jan 28, 2021, 1:55 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Texans GM Nick Caserio reiterated the team's commitment to Deshaun Watson.
"Organizationally, want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio told media Friday. "We have zero interest in trading the player." And yes, he actually referred to Watson as "the player." Clearly at a crossroads with the front office despite its recent hire of respected coach David Culley, Watson finds himself battling for leverage ahead of the 2021 season with an owner, general manager, and coach he refuses to speak with. Even Caserio labeled the team's timeline to resolve any issues with the 25-year-old as a "one-day-at-a-time" process for the organization. With no long-term blueprint or plan in the near future in place to succeed at any level, Watson will certainly remain hard-pressed to waive his no-trade clause if only to escape the trainwreck grasp of owner Cal McNair and Co.
SOURCE: Sarah Barshop on Twitter
Jan 29, 2021, 1:53 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Texans hired Lovie Smith as defensive coordinator.
Smith returns to the NFL after spending the last five years as the head coach at Illinois. He'll serve as the defensive playcaller for first-time HC David Culley. A Texas native, Smith gives Houston experience and a proven track record at the coordinator position, though he's never had a great winning percentage, going 89-87 overall as a head coach and 17-39 with Illinois. The Texans are staying in-house with OC Tim Kelly, but the pairing of Smith and Culley should improve a defense that allowed the third-most yards in the league last season.
SOURCE: NFL Network
Jan 29, 2021, 9:46 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "the sense" is the Texans could move on from J.J. Watt this offseason.
Watt has no guarantees left on the six year, $100 million extension he signed in 2014. He's under contract through next season, but Houston can clear $17.5 million in cap space from releasing or trading Watt. With the Texans overhauling their front office and coaching staff, it wouldn't be surprising if they parted ways with Watt, who expressed frustration with the organization and was the driving force behind Bill O'Brien's firing. 32-year-old Watt would have no shortage of interested teams if the Texans make him available.
SOURCE: NFL Network
Jan 30, 2021, 10:53 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."
In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson.
SOURCE: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Jan 31, 2021, 12:04 PM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reported the Texans would want two first round draft picks, two second rounders, and two defensive starters in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
McClain's oddly specific trade scenario is hardly a guarantee that the wretched Houston defense would improve in 2021, especially if they part ways with J.J. Watt this offseason. McClain, a longtime Houston beat reporter, said the Texans should start with the Jets, who are reportedly at the top of Watson's trade wish list. The Athletic's Joseph Person, meanwhile, said league insiders expect Houston to demand three first round picks for Watson. Probably it depends on the caliber of defensive player in question, but Person's scenario would seem to be more realistic with demand for Watson, 25, as high as any player in recent NFL history.
RELATED:
SOURCE: John McClain
Jan 31, 2021, 11:25 AM ET

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Athletic's Joseph Person reports NFL insiders believe "the Texans will want three first-round picks, or two first-rounders and an established player" in exchange for Deshaun Watson.
The astronomical price for Watson makes sense after the Rams had to part with a 2021 third-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, a 2023 first-round pick to acquire Matthew Stafford from Detroit. If the Texans are willing to hold out for that kind of offer, that could narrow Watson's suitors to two or three teams. Person, who covers the Panthers, was skeptical of the team selling out to get Watson, since doing so would make it tougher to improve the team's offensive line. The Panthers would owe Teddy Bridgewater $23 million if they stay put at QB in the coming months -- an unlikely scenario by all accounts. Watson being dealt to Carolina would make D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson much sought-after players in 2021 fantasy drafts.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jan 31, 2021, 11:03 AM ET

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."
In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson.
SOURCE: Lance Zierlein on Twitter
Jan 31, 2021, 12:04 PM ET

Extraordinary stuff. 😂

I'd love someone to do a sit down interview with this guy when he is eventually fired. Would be a fascinating tale to hear.

Back