How’s Brad Scott’s “Over-Arching Legacy” going?

Remove this Banner Ad

A very small part of Brad Scott's legacy is that some of us have learned not to try to hang on to long.
That there comes a time you've got to "play the kids".
I think the philosophy should also apply to trading players. We've had a lot of blokes, a couple of young forwards come to mind, who we were pressured into signing very large contract offers for when opposition teams came knocking, only to have a bad ending for everyone.

Brisbane weren't too shy about trading out players for draft capital when they launched their rebuild, and I think we should be more open to that possibility than we have previously.

With hindsight I think there is some substance to the idea that he wasn't very good at developing players. I don't think we had that good a talent pool, but he could have made more of Clarke and Mountford.

Our most tradable player is Jed, but why would you trade him? You're just setting your own side up for pain and pressure. Plus we need 100 games from him first. Luke McDonald. JY. They are our best three tradeable players * that.

It wasn't just those four. Wells went to Collingwood. We took ten players off the list that year.

That's half the discussion. The other half is who we bought in. It's like we traded in some beat up but serviceable Commodores for a couple of seven year old Toyotas, surely damaging club culture in the process. Then Scott announcing the decision before the Adelaide game? And having to have the press conference by himself? How can so much stupid fit into such a short space of time.

I still have friends making fun of the photo with Harvey holding two plastic bags after he cleared out his locker. 'The second bag was awarded for tenure'

I'm not trying to win an argument, and I'm sure an awful lot makes sense unpacking this one event at a time. But this is professional sport, and you're going to take a step back and look at what was achieved. The five years that just passed is not pretty by any measure and I have the utmost respect for Noble taking this job on. Even if we go two years winless - which we won't - he has my full support. A caveat on the list building I suppose, but as far as game day is concerned I just close my eyes and think of my happy place.

Well most/everyone who got regular games under scott that people complained have complained about have either been let go or are currently gone.
His 'favourites' who would get games over developing kids have gone too.
Scotts influence has been diminishing by the hour.

If his influence is going then check the Top 10 of the Syd Barker and name the ones we didn’t draft under Scott.

I don’t think he would care that a player he drafted had been delisted.

Only a moron would think that an ex coach from 2 and a half seasons ago would still give a flying * about club decisions.

Brad Scott is living rent free in your heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nooooooo!

Have to say, I was a supporter overall for a long time. I feel - still do - that there was a pretty stacked deck against his rebuild due to the AFL attention and in particular gutting of 3+ drafts due to GWS / GC introduction. It made a tough job potentially impossible. Looking back though, the first time I remember being annoyed was when we had that great year of attacking football (2013 I believe) and managed to lose a handful of games by tiny amounts. Next year it felt like the whole plan was shelved because a handful of results went poorly. It always bugged me - why didn't they improve on a good formula rather than assume that in one year they'd achieved the best they could with that system. It felt like a capitulation. Ironically there is an argument that in particular the Tigers approach of their 3 flags was not dissimilar in its attacking mindset.

Nah play on The acurate one.

Coaches try and fail and there's no shame in that. Contrast Laidley vs Scott.

Both made 3 finals series with Scott's number of finals victories offset by Laidley's side reaching a genuine H&A top 4 and a double chance.

If we're pointing out that Noble's side (where he hasn't even overseen a trade period yet) has a B&F dominated by Scott players then lets do the same for Scott.

Other than Cunnington pretty much every successful player during the Scott era was courtesy of Pagan and Laidley - Goldstein, Tarrant, Thompson, Harvey, Petrie, Ziebell, Wells, Swallow, Firrito etc.

But the real reason people are still dissecting Scott's decade at the club rather than Laidley's close to decade run is because Laidley never came out with the butter wouldn't melt in the mouth brand of selfless self-reflection that Brad did.

A club polo the next day. Spare me. Wonder what membership category he held in 2021?

Nah play on The acurate one.

Coaches try and fail and there's no shame in that. Contrast Laidley vs Scott.

Both made 3 finals series with Scott's number of finals victories offset by Laidley's side reaching a genuine H&A top 4 and a double chance.

If we're pointing out that Noble's side (where he hasn't even overseen a trade period yet) has a B&F dominated by Scott players then lets do the same for Scott.

Other than Cunnington pretty much every successful player during the Scott era was courtesy of Pagan and Laidley - Goldstein, Tarrant, Thompson, Harvey, Petrie, Ziebell, Wells, Swallow, Firrito etc.

But the real reason people are still dissecting Scott's decade at the club rather than Laidley's close to decade run is because Laidley never came out with the butter wouldn't melt in the mouth brand of selfless self-reflection that Brad did.

A club polo the next day. Spare me. Wonder what membership category he held in 2021?

Ouch remind me never to go toe to toe with you King. The polo did get right up my nose I must admit. And don't care what anyone says there is not a club doing the rounds that would give him a coaching gig. That speaks volumes. And yeah I feel you nailed it and I've nothing further to add, well except how good could Maj have become under Noble? That hurts me man.

Ouch remind me never to go toe to toe with you King. The polo did get right up my nose I must admit. And don't care what anyone says there is not a club doing the rounds that would give him a coaching gig. That speaks volumes. And yeah I feel you nailed it and I've nothing further to add, well except how good could Maj have become under Noble? That hurts me man.

It's 30 years ago but Pagan wouldn't have waited until football IQ perfection to uncork a player like Majak.

He would've contrived a role, bent his own selection rules a la Archer or McKernan and had him terrorising opposition backlines.

Because?

He was more use than Shannon Motlop, Gary Dhurkay or Longmire (1997-1999).

Even for you, that represents a bizarre take.

You’ve just named 2 blokes who wouldn’t have been competing with Majak.

Nothing bizarre about it. Majak was raw as *.

And good luck finding a spot in our backline for Majak with Martyn, McCartney, Pickett, Pike, Blakey, King and Archer down there and then Colbert, Teague and Makepeace.

We wouldn’t have picked Majak up under Pagan, let alone played him. He would have been gone in 3 years.
Pagan recruited o’hailpin so I’m not sure that’s accurate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back