Remove this Banner Ad

TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, hindsight is a wonderful thing. So with hindsight, my take on it is:

- the Knee jerk reaction to the loss last week to drop Monster was a mistake. We get two games into a guy for match fitness, to get him ready for finals, then drop him.

- Firrito would have been a better match up for Hall, from the start

- Wells dissapointing, which is nothing new, but not to blame.

- Midfield is too old & slow now. Harvey & Wells still belong there, but we need to move the rest on. No disrespect intended, as a couple of them have been great servants. But we need inject some brilliance in there.

- We generally play sh!t in the rain, & the swans would have to be the worst side to come up against in those conditions.

- Clearly we peaked a month too early

- Lower stood up again in a bad losing final, though hitting the post was pretty devastating.

Still a bit to look forward to:

- Monster with a injury free preseason
- JWS with a injury free preseason
- Plenty of youth coming through
- Remember, we did look pretty good at times during the season

What we need:

- A Meataxe Key Position Defender
- A gun midfielder
- A plan B when Plan A ain't workin.
- More general hardness at the footy. It was once the club's trademark. Where is it now?
- Some Con-****ing-sistency.
- Trade if possible, if not then delist Brown & Watt. We will never be a great team with them in our side, & thats what we should be aiming for

Thats all I got for now. Shattered.

:mad:
Well, hindsight is a wonderful thing. So with hindsight, my take on it is:

- the Knee jerk reaction to the loss last week to drop Monster was a mistake. We get two games into a guy for match fitness, to get him ready for finals, then drop him.

- Firrito would have been a better match up for Hall, from the start

- Wells dissapointing, which is nothing new, but not to blame.

- Midfield is too old & slow now. Harvey & Wells still belong there, but we need to move the rest on. No disrespect intended, as a couple of them have been great servants. But we need inject some brilliance in there.

- We generally play sh!t in the rain, & the swans would have to be the worst side to come up against in those conditions.

- Clearly we peaked a month too early

- Lower stood up again in a bad losing final, though hitting the post was pretty devastating.

Still a bit to look forward to:

- Monster with a injury free preseason
- JWS with a injury free preseason
- Plenty of youth coming through
- Remember, we did look pretty good at times during the season

What we need:

- A Meataxe Key Position Defender
- A gun midfielder
- A plan B when Plan A ain't workin.
- More general hardness at the footy. It was once the club's trademark. Where is it now?
- Some Con-****ing-sistency.
- Trade if possible, if not then delist Brown & Watt. We will never be a great team with them in our side, & thats what we should be aiming for

Thats all I got for now. Shattered.

HOW A 20+ YEAR MEMBER SEES IT, AND I ALWAYS TAKE OUT TOP MEMBERSHIP,JUST CRAP FULL OF CRAP AND NOTHING BUT CRAP

WELLS= FIRST TRADE TO PERTH

Nice post Buzz.

I think that we have midfielders currently who are either hard at the ball but slow and unskilled by foot, or are talented by foot but have light bodies not ideal for clearance work.

We need to re-think our drafting and recruiting to bring in strong-bodied midfielders who can stand up in tackles and kick long (funny that Firrito is exactly the body type and skill set I'm referring to).

We don't need 3 x inside mids and 5 x outside mids, we need mids capable of playing both roles - hopefully McMahon, Lower and Riggio will help out here.

Clearly we also need a big full back capable of holding their ground in a one-on-one as well as keeping up on the lead. I think we need to stick with N Grima for this as I doubt Obst is up to it.

Not playing a pure ruckman is fools gold, and we paid a HUGE price for it tonight, I personally thought Goldie should have played, but we clearly needed either him or H. Poor work by the selection committee there.

We need to recruit a strong bodied skillful midfielder to bolster our mid ranks and narrow the gap between our outside and inside mids. i.e. we need a VERSATILE mid capable of playing outside or in depending on the needs of our team at that time.

Stay positive mate, thats the way.

We just ran out of gas this season with all the kids. Next season that wont happen hopefully. One of the best things is that the majority of our side is young and they're all developing together so I can really see us being a force soon.

A pick in the top 10 this year and look for guys like Tarrant, Greenwood, Ross, Riggio, Wundke to really improve and fight for a spot in our 22 while guys like McMahon, Hansen, Urquhart, Lower, Campbell, Thomas become the backbone of our side.

Exciting times ahead.

OK, maybe a dodgy thread title, was just trying to establish I'm not a bandwagon or fairweather supporter. But I'm not sure what is crap about what I've written.

Please elaborate.

Yep good assessment, thought wells was ok tonight, Harris should be moved on. Jones gets one more chance next year. We don't have a carey anymore so why the hell did we keep bombing it into one on five contests? We do it all the time, poor decision making kills us.

problem is Buzz, you could have wrote similar replies last year and the year before .... only major change can fix the issues ... may be they are that deluded down at Arden st that they think it might just suddenly click together like it did for Geelong after 6+ years or going around and around.

Stay positive mate, thats the way.

We just ran out of gas this season with all the kids. Next season that wont happen hopefully. One of the best things is that the majority of our side is young and they're all developing together so I can really see us being a force soon.

A pick in the top 10 this year and look for guys like Tarrant, Greenwood, Ross, Riggio, Wundke to really improve and fight for a spot in our 22 while guys like McMahon, Hansen, Urquhart, Lower, Campbell, Thomas become the backbone of our side.

Exciting times ahead.

You're spot on about the kids, the full season was just too taxing by the end of it. Will be better for it definately. Will be great to watch them develop!

problem is Buzz, you could have wrote similar replies last year and the year before .... only major change can fix the issues ... may be they are that deluded down at Arden st that they think it might just suddenly click together like it did for Geelong after 6+ years or going around and around.

It could happen like Geelong did for us, hard to say. Laidley deserves another chance though. I think he has great strategies & can motivate, but isn't creative enough in the midst of a game when things aren't working.

Re: How a 30 consecutive year member sees it

How a 30 year consecutive year member sees it..

Game hasn't improved.. (so many things about the AFL that make me sick in the guts) I'm now exhausted! need time out.. much more enjoyable in the 80's & 90's when Footy was played by MEN or guys that busted their arse for much lesser coin.

AFL has gone off the rails for mine. North losing last week SHOT a MASSIVE HOLE in my back pocket so I'm pulling up stumps for a full 16 months. :mad: :( Lost the passion. Don't feel as shattered tonight as I usually would. Look forward to spending valuable time elsewhere instead of my ramblings on BF discussing a sport flawed/ corrupted in so many ways. :thumbsdown:

The NFL has been my preferred game over the AFL for 10 years now and I'm not going to even go into detail... and I'll stick to my mantra.. if I don't join up as a MEmber, I HAVE Absolutely NO RIGHT to pass judgement on the club or performances next season. So expect 'nil input' from me next season. Feel free to pull me up if I do...

Over & Out.. Good luck all.

Re: How a 30 consecutive year member sees it

How a 30 year consecutive year member sees it..

Game hasn't improved.. (so many things about the AFL that make me sick in the guts) I'm now exhausted! need time out.. much more enjoyable in the 80's & 90's when Footy was played by MEN or guys that busted their arse for much lesser coin.

AFL has gone off the rails for mine. North losing last week SHOT a MASSIVE HOLE in my back pocket so I'm pulling up stumps for a full 16 months. :mad: :( Lost the passion. Don't feel as shattered tonight as I usually would. Look forward to spending valuable time elsewhere instead of my ramblings on BF discussing a sport flawed/ corrupted in so many ways. :thumbsdown:

The NFL has been my preferred game over the AFL for 10 years now and I'm not going to even go into detail... and I'll stick to my mantra.. if I don't join up as a MEmber, I HAVE Absolutely NO RIGHT to pass judgement on the club or performances next season. So expect 'nil input' from me next season. Feel free to pull me up if I do...

Over & Out.. Good luck all.

Yes I agree about the game being stuffed by the AFL but hell mate don't make such a huge decision when you feel shattered.
As several posters have said there is massive upside for North but we need supporters with passion to hang in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can sympathize with Woodson ... i buy a membership every year and i couldnt force myself to go to a game this year after the deplorable gut wrenching efforts of last years finals further compounded by the mind blowing idiotic direction the AFL is taking .... Western Sydney, sticky notes, bias tribunals, bonuses handed out for screwing things up, continual rule changes and some very questionable commission members with extremely dodgy backgrounds ripping 250g p.a. a seat out of the game ... it may become a struggle next year to even watch .... and yet i will still hold on to the ideology of NM for some bizarre reason...or may be its because i got something this batch of current players dont have!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back