How accurate were our Phantom drafters?

Discussion in 'Phantom Drafts' started by random numbers, Dec 1, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. random numbers

random numbers Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I have done an analysis comparing 8 of our phantom drafters to the actual result. I only chose those that did a full draft. I chose in order in which these Phantoms currently appear on the board. Apologies to don Patch, Jeff Poulter and Chris (and maybe others) but I got tired of further analysis and besides which the overall pattern was clearly consistent.

I wasn’t concerned with exact position, but rather whether the phantom drafters were more or less in sync with the thinking of the professionals. Thus as an arbitrary guide, I judged a phantom call within 10 positions of the actual as accurate.

Because the file was too big I broke it into 2 uploads draft positions 1-40 and above 40 draft 1-240.jpg

1. Yellow were those that slid by more than 10 positions from actual (with actual position numbered)

2. Green were Bolters who rose more than 10 positions from actual (with actual position numbered)

3. Red were undrafted

4. Blue went to rookie

Overall, for the top 20, the phantom drafters were very good ie. They had a good idea of who the top candidates were.

From there, the predictions became progressively less reliable.

The 20-40 range had about a 50% accuracy (mean 10.1/20, median 10/20, mode 10/20) with a high of 14/20 and a low of 6/20. The inaccuracies were dominated by sliders ie. those who the phantom chose at a higher position than they actually went. The great majority of the sliders actually went later in the draft with only a couple failing to be drafted or going to rookie.

In the 41 and above, the phantoms were totally unreliable with the great majority being inaccurate. About half the inaccuracies were due to bolters (ie. Those who were actually drafted higher than the phantoms predicted). The other half were those who failed to be drafted or were drafted in the rookie.

The most notable bolters were Long, McLarty, Fisher and Lipinski.

The most notable sliders were Scharenberg, Sproule and Walker

tugga, Mofra, DERO and 6 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. random numbers

random numbers Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
  3. jason pm

jason pm Norm Smith Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    valleys
    looks like Gee Dub was the most accurate then.

4. Gee Dub

Gee Dub Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Ravens, Rabbitohs, Rockets, Everton
    While we are at it, I was more happy this year with my ability to pick the sliders. Battle and Clarke were two that I rated much lower than others and they slid right down. Sam Walker, Pat Kerr, Luke Ryan and Sproule were others who I don't rate in my personal rankings and didn't think would get picked up/go much later than predicted and I was right on that front.

Kilroy likes this.
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    That guy on the extreme left nailed it, Actual, he is the man.
    To err is human, to edit is common.;)

Dr Tigris likes this.
  6. Bicks

Bicks Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Panthers, Beaufort Crows
    grundog49 :thumbsu: the only one that had Matty Signorello getting drafted, anyone that saw his game against the Rebels where he more than held his own against a talent laden Rebels' midfield of Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Willem Drew and Cedric Cox would have seen how draftable he was....fortunately Adelaide's Chief Recruiter Hamish Ogilvie was there that day though I believe he was already on his radar. Will turn out to be the "steal" of this draft IMO.

7. D_P_S

D_P_S Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Pretty happy that I got a few later picks to the right clubs with Ratugolea to Cats, Williamson to Blues, Begley to Bombers, Poholke to Crows and I think I was the only one that had Phillips getting drafted. First round was a bit iffy but I updated a few days before the draft

jason pm likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    It was funny, I spoke to one club recruiter in August and he was adamant he wasn't good enough to be drafted. Time will tell of course - but when i saw Signorello at Knights or at school games he was always one of the better players. But skills needed work and he was also a handball first, kick second player. But there was always something about him...

Banshee23 likes this.
  9. Bicks

Bicks Premium Platinum

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Panthers, Beaufort Crows
    It wasn't Haggis then....

Dodoro?

10. grundog49

grundog49 Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt
    Sig fills that need of a midfielder forward once Douglas retires. Marks overhead and with some more development, could be a very strong player for the Crows.

Bicks likes this.
  11. t_94

t_94 Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    To be honest I'm always much more interested in phantom drafter's appraisals in each player, rather than where they go, which will always be a bit hit and miss.

HalloweenJack, HARKER and Ysaye like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Ysaye

Ysaye Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Yes I suspect that most phantom drafters would much rather pick an "order of AFL performance" and accurately describe how they will play at the top level then having the closest to the actual draft order (although given the better information of professional drafters, these are not going to be entirely independent of on another).