WSYD How are GWS going off the field?

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just interested how people think GWS are going off the field.

Met a Giants fan at the pub last year who said don't just look at crowds and put the argument up that the Swans are the only sporting club in Sydney that consistently draw big crowds.

Giants average last year was around 10.5k looking at the 4 Western Sydney NRL clubs 3 of them between 18-19k average, West Tigers around 15k. Storm average over 20k but obviously Melbourne is sport mad compared to Sydney.

Looking at some other sports

Waratah used to regularly get over 29k but drop of prob more a reflection of Rugby Union struggling all over Australia.

Wanders were a hot ticket when they first started but the A league in general isn't getting the crowds it was.

Kings yes they get big crowds at time but most are bandwagon fans. As a Melbourne United fan went to watch us play the Kings on boxing day a couple of years ago perfect time with it being a 3PM game and a Sydney Thinder game after and the stadium was empty.

So yes they're a bit behind the NRL clubs in Western Sydney but in the Sydney sporting landscape there not doing terribly either.

Be interested to know how Auskick numbers are I'm Western Sydney.

If I asked 100 people in Parramatta or Blacktown how many would know who Toby Greene is?

Can their home crowds push up over 15000 in the be the few years?

Be interested to here thoughts from those up there.

You are probably coming from the right place.
But this won’t end well as history shows.

So
Deer Popcorn GIF

Best media team in the game and it's not even close. That has to count for something.
The Suns have been pretty good this pre-season too.

I think it's a fair point in the OP. GWS crowd numbers should be compared to the market they're in, not to an AFL mad city with multiple transport options to a 100k stadium. Also noting they play in Canberra too.

As long as all the suckhole AFL mouthpieces on Fox Footy, SEN, etc keep pumping up the Giants (and Swans) at every opportunity and encouraging AFL fans from Vic, SA and WA to tune into Giants & Swans games and barrack for them like they're your 2nd or 3rd teams, then it doesn't really matter.

The Giants aren't there to "capture the market" in Sydney
They exist to capture the eyeballs of 500,000 couch-potatoes from Victoria, SA and WA

Our great game is now first and foremost a television product.
About 2/3rds of the AFL revenue these days is from the television & streaming rights.

9 games every Thursday to Sunday = content for Channel 7 and Fox Footy
The TV execs don't give a stuff how many people go to watch the Giants or Suns home games. It's just more content.

Last edited:
The Suns have been pretty good this pre-season too.

I think it's a fair point in the OP. GWS crowd numbers should be compared to the market they're in, not to an AFL mad city with multiple transport options to a 100k stadium. Also noting they play in Canberra too.
As was mentioned by Dillon recently in the media, Giants get a good crowd for the wans game, will get a great crowd for the Pies game (and any other big team they might host) and get solid crowds for Canberra games (as far as the ground allows) ... a lot of the hassle is transportation and scheduling. Focus on better scheduling and the crowd figures will jump

😮‍💨ok

Off field stuff.

Great.
  • Social Media best in the business.
  • Memberships about to hit 30k quicker than at any other time, only a small amount are the Kayo digital amount (1-2k I read somewhere).
Hav been told by the membership team that there has been a ton of upgrades from 3 gamers to season long etc

Good.

- Community work

Poor
  • crowds plummeted after Covid, but have been growing every since each season. Still not to pre Covid days but have confidence we will get to the 15k plus mark.
  • Western Sydney. I, unlike plenty of our supporters, think that being part time hurts us in what is supposed to be our home base. My opinion of course.
  • Grassroots & ground availability. Another one that was wacked by covid. Should say men’s as women’s is growing well.

😮‍💨ok

Off field stuff.

Great.
  • Social Media best in the business.
  • Memberships about to hit 30k quicker than at any other time, only a small amount are the Kayo digital amount (1-2k I read somewhere).
Hav been told by the membership team that there has been a ton of upgrades from 3 gamers to season long etc

Good.

- Community work

Poor
  • crowds plummeted after Covid, but have been growing every since each season. Still not to pre Covid days but have confidence we will get to the 15k plus mark.
  • Western Sydney. I, unlike plenty of our supporters, think that being part time hurts us in what is supposed to be our home base. My opinion of course.
  • Grassroots & ground availability. Another one that was wacked by covid. Should say men’s as women’s is growing well.
How are Auskick numbers in Western Sydney?

If I went to Parramatta today and asked if people knew they were playing on Sunday how many would know.

I know Melbourne is different but Billy Slater for example could easily be King of Moomba

If I went to Parramatta today and asked if people knew they were playing on Sunday how many would know.

I know Melbourne is different but Billy Slater for example could easily be King of Moomba

I suspect you are massively confused about NRL popularity in Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As said grassroots took a hit, also have fairly limited fields in Sydney.
most know Toby Greene
I think you are inflating the love of the Storm in Melbourne.

As said grassroots took a hit, also have fairly limited fields in Sydney.

most know Toby Greene

I think you are inflating the love of the Storm in Melbourne.
Not really

As stated Storm average more than the 3 time NRL premiers. At last check have the highest membership in the NRL and I know so many people who yes AFL is there number 1 but get to a few Storm games every year.

If this makes sense NRL is not popular in Melbourne but Storm is very popular

If this makes sense, that's just not true.

A subset of afl fans would say they support the storm but would watch a irrelevant afl game over a storm game

The storm rated 30k in Melbourne for a final last year. Giants were far higher in Sydney.

I'm only here for the random 8 in the thread title. I suspect a fat finger since the i and 8 are together on the keyboard, but am still hoping for it to be a revelation of sorts
D8n't be so judgemen7al

If this makes sense, that's just not true.

A subset of afl fans would say they support the storm but would watch a irrelevant afl game over a storm game

The storm rated 30k in Melbourne for a final last year. Giants were far higher in Sydney.
Is that counting both the Fox League and Gen ratings?

Also Storm got flogged in that final and Collingwood v GWS was close. Even as a die-hard Storm fan I was flicking so I don't think that night was the best comparison.

Look how NRL GFs featuring the Storm have gone in Melbourne.

Storm are very strong but we are getting off topic.

Based on what? I don't know anyone who would be able to name a single player.
Not sure what bubble you living in but everyone knew Slater Smith Cronk and even now everyone knows Pappy, Munster etc.

I love Aussie rules way more but that's a ridiculous comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back