How are our kids looking now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Kelly I’m getting Ben Reid vibes with his robustness - or lack of.

McMahon looks a long way off, but hard to get a handle on him due to this interrupted VFL season.

Begg is the interesting one. His bio describes him as a ‘versatile tall’, and I’m not sure we need another generic tall who is just so so. And being taken in the mid-season draft, the odds are against him. But Hine seems to have been in some rare form with his selections since 2019. If Begg comes on, it will potentially cap off an extraordinary period.

I think the more interesting hypothetical with Begg is where would he go in the ND this year if we still didn’t have the MSD? The MSD just means we get him 6 months early when we might never have had a chance at the ND given our draft hand.

I think the more interesting hypothetical with Begg is where would he go in the ND this year if we still didn’t have the MSD? The MSD just means we get him 6 months early when we might never have had a chance at the ND given our draft hand.

Do you know if he was in any of the 2021 draft rankings? Or it may have been too early for that when we took him.

After missing out on the draft, he has played two games of u18, where I don't think he did that much. Picked second round of MSD would.

Rookie draft is where I think he would have gone if not already listed by us.

I'm not saying that he was a bad choice, I just don't see why you'd consider it's likely he's improved his draft position significantly from either last year's draft or the mid-season rookie fraft.

Given he would be an overager who was passed over in the 2020 draft and rookie draft, who played 3 games and then did his shoulder, you would think rookie draft or not picked at all.

Hope he makes it but 2nd round in MSD is a speculative pick. Best case is a late pick in the main draft like say Langdon did after being passed over and then having a strong overage year. Given the shoulder it would be too much too expect Begg would be a candidate for this years main draft. That’s my guess

Given he would be an overager who was passed over in the 2020 draft and rookie draft, who played 3 games and then did his shoulder, you would think rookie draft or not picked at all.

Hope he makes it but 2nd round in MSD is a speculative pick. Best case is a late pick in the main draft like say Langdon did after being passed over and then having a strong overage year. Given the shoulder it would be too much too expect Begg would be a candidate for this years main draft. That’s my guess

Yeah, I’m not so sure. Reduced list sizes last off-season meant less kids taken meant that kids like Begg were overlooked in the ND and RD. Add the impact of CV19 and the lack of opportunity for them to show their wares, I think whatever performances they did get on the board this year would hold significant weight. Especially for guys like Edwards, Mirkov, and Begg. I guess we’ll know in 4-5 years when they revisit these drafts.

If you’d told me last year Ginnivan, Macrae and Henry are our sole goal kickers against Hawthorn at HT, I’d have told you to lay off the crack.
Agreed our senior players have failed the leadership test.

Too many trotting along, too many falling over, too many missed or broken tackles.

It doesn't take high skill levels to execute the basics and far too often over the last few years our senior players have failed to produce the effort and focus that should be expected of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to IQ and Daics for making the U22 AA squad.

Given our season it was good to see both make the initial squad let alone go the distance. The 12 game minimum probably precludes McCreery.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back