How are we going to kick a winning score?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would’ve swapped Ainsworth for rainkine a couple of weeks ago.. if Ainsworth can keep his work rate like the Sydney game he’s a different player his blast off the front of the square and shot at goal is the only thing that lets him down because it’s usually a behind.. but for me he offers more than rankine currently
I think Izak is unfairly judged sometimes. He bites off more than he can chew on occasions but that's him. Small forwards need the ball moved in quickly and brought to ground. The ball movement on occasions is so slow that King is outnumbered 3-1 and generally rebounded without them getting a chance.
He's kicked 10 goals in our 4 wins when we've moved it quickly.
Ben, Izak, Sexton all struggle with our ball movement.
He went to 3-4 CBAs on Saturday, won 3 clearances and 10 contested possessions. His disposal let him down. There's no way we drop him.

I think Izak is unfairly judged sometimes. He bites off more than he can chew on occasions but that's him. Small forwards need the ball moved in quickly and brought to ground. The ball movement on occasions is so slow that King is outnumbered 3-1 and generally rebounded without them getting a chance.
He's kicked 10 goals in our 4 wins when we've moved it quickly.
Ben, Izak, Sexton all struggle with our ball movement.
He went to 3-4 CBAs on Saturday, won 3 clearances and 10 contested possessions. His disposal let him down. There's no way we drop him.

When the ball movement has been the same for a long period of time you can only carry sexton and rankine in the same side for so long

Need to reward vfl players than carrying players every week in insipid games on potential.. what’s the point of working hard in the reserves for no rewards when others get gifted on their draft number and potential

When the ball movement has been the same for a long period of time you can only carry sexton and rankine in the same side for so long

Need to reward vfl players than carrying players every week in insipid games on potential.. what’s the point of working hard in the reserves for no rewards when others get gifted on their draft number and potential
I agree we should reward good form. A guy who has kicked 6 goals in the past 3 games shouldn’t be the scape goat. I think there’s definitely room for the 3 in the same team. Izak and Ben should now be rotating through the midfield as well.

There was a lot of froth about Flanders and I agree he's a tough nut but what are we waiting for from him?
Are we expecting him to be an Ollie Wines type midfielder?
I was hoping for a Roszee type
Can someone name a player they think he closely resembles because I'm struggling with the upside?
Surely Dew has to flick the switch and go for guys who can get the pill in the forward line
If you mark it inside 50 you don't really have to worry too much about forward pressure;)
Ainsworth Brodie and Corbett are all very capable above their heads

There was a lot of froth about Flanders and I agree he's a tough nut but what are we waiting for from him?
Can someone name a player they think he closely resembles because I'm struggling with the upside?
Surely Dew has to flick the switch and go for guys who can get the pill in the forward line
If you mark it inside 50 you don't really have to worry too much about forward pressure;)
Midfielder more than forward. I really rate him.
Looked lost the first 6 games and averaged 5 touches.
Last 8 games thats gone to 15 a game, 4 tackles, 25 pressure acts. He's still a teenager but his shut down role on Mitchell in the 2nd half was brilliant. Watch his 3rd quarter in that Hawks game.

Reminds me of Paul Chapman.

ok- so if I readjust to maybe(hopefully) a Ben Cunnington rather than a Tom Papley
So we still need to ask the question why he's playing forward instead of Corbett or Ainsworth
He has played as a mid with forward stints the last month and has comfortably played his best footy.

Ainsworth role is high half forward - Jamie Cripps/Isaac Heeney role
Rankine should be deep forward pocket but because we can't it deep he comes up higher and around the ball. One of our best goalkickers when he gets it.
Sexton floating "3rd" tall - If he doesn't provide goals he doesn't provide much
Corbett should be in the side, we called for him early in the year. Played a fantastic role played one s**t game when we got pumped never seen him again, what a joke. CLEARLY WE STRUGGLE TO SCORE EVERY YEAR JUST PLAY HIM
On Form Burgess is better than Day but again i few the coaches are playing Day because hes got a bit of height and we need some old heads.
Jeffery i would like to see at AFL level but feel like he to skinny, would get pushed off in contests. Can't have a 190cm crumbing a pack

We've got forwards who can score - just need to provide some service!
Other than Sexton (and Day) our forwards are pretty inexperienced and don't have that game time connection with each other and the midfield yet - it will come with more shared experience.

Main forwards: King, Corbett, Sexton, Rankine - 6-8 goals / game

Secondary forwards: Ainsworth, Day, Burgess, Weller - 2-3 goals / game

Midfielders: Greenwood, Miller, Ellis, Swallow, Rowell - 2 goals / game

Half backs: Lukosius, Markov, Bowes - 0 goals / game

When Hollands comes in, I can see him being a regular goal kicker too.
IF we can get a few more goals out of our midfield and half backs we'll be in ok shape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been waiting over 10 years to bump this thread as a positive
King Chol Casboult Ainsworth Rankine Jeffrey Rosas Swallow and Anderson would appear to be the answer:)
(This thread is like a museum of old user names!:D)
Don’t forget Nick “the junkyard dog” Holman to put the bite on opposition defenders and Elijah “the Prophet” Hollands to deliver us to the promised land ;)

We've got more goals from midfielders this year which is great

Last year our midfielders kicked very few goals
Lyons 7
Miller 6
Swallow 5
Bowes 4
Fiorini 4
Powell 2
Lonergan 1
Hall 1
Brodie 1

This year we're looking better
Swallow 6
Bowes 4
Powel 4
Macpherson 4
Miles 3
Fiorini 2

Although I'm pretty sure goals overall are down.
I posted this in 2019.. under a former account.
I don't think we ever got more goals out of our midfield... until this year??

Half way through the season we're on track for for the following total goals.
Could we get double digit goals from multiple midfielders??

Miller ~12
Anderson ~10
Swallow ~10
Ellis ~8
Weller ~6
Davies ~6

To go with the forwards on track for..
Chol 40-50
Casboult 35-40
Ainsworth 25-30
Jeffrey 20-25
Rankine 20-25
Rosas 15-20
Holman ~15
Lukosius 10-15 ??

I really like Secco as a player and he comes across as a genuinely good person, but he'll be 29 this year
As a small forward he has 4 or 5 years if his output stays solid
I can't be arsed cross referencing multiple players but he has to have the Club record for 3 goals or more in a match?
Can't think of anyone else who would have done that 20+ times
At 29 though you just think his time has passed-perhaps more importantly multiple hungry players have passed him:(

I really like Secco as a player and he comes across as a genuinely good person, but he'll be 29 this year
As a small forward he has 4 or 5 years if his output stays solid
I can't be arsed cross referencing multiple players but he has to have the Club record for 3 goals or more in a match?
Can't think of anyone else who would have done that 20+ times
At 29 though you just think his time has passed-perhaps more importantly multiple hungry players have passed him:(

You would have to think the club would have front loaded contract when it had the chance so he's probably cheap and we could either keep him for depth or let him go with our blessing if he wanted an opportunity elsewhere.

I think JJ has market corrected Luko as a forward - one grab marks, good below knees, accurate in front of goals. Luko is going to have to play either backline or tall wingman.

2/3 of the way through the season. Currently averaging 85.7 points which is good for 8th best in the league. Who would have thought.

If we carry on at same rate we are looking at
Chol - 45 goals
Casboult - 40 goals
Rankine - 35 goals

Ainsworth, Rosas, Holman probably end up on 15 - 20 goals depending injury status

Will be needing Touk, Ellis, Anderson, Swallow to step up and get up around 10 goals now with a few forward line injuries.

Definitely a decent platform for next year.
Given our wet night home games, I don't think we're ever going to be top 2-3 scoring teams.
But if we can push up into the top 6. That would be amazing and should be the goal.

Definitely have 2-3 players capable of kicking 35 - 50 goals
- King, Chol, Rankine
And another 3-4 capable of kicking 20 - 30 goals
- Casboult, Ainsworth, Jeffrey, Rosas, Lukosius depending where he plays.

Very promising.

2/3 of the way through the season. Currently averaging 85.7 points which is good for 8th best in the league. Who would have thought.

If we carry on at same rate we are looking at
Chol - 45 goals
Casboult - 40 goals
Rankine - 35 goals

Ainsworth, Rosas, Holman probably end up on 15 - 20 goals depending injury status

Will be needing Touk, Ellis, Anderson, Swallow to step up and get up around 10 goals now with a few forward line injuries.

Definitely a decent platform for next year.
Given our wet night home games, I don't think we're ever going to be top 2-3 scoring teams.
But if we can push up into the top 6. That would be amazing and should be the goal.

Definitely have 2-3 players capable of kicking 35 - 50 goals
- King, Chol, Rankine
And another 3-4 capable of kicking 20 - 30 goals
- Casboult, Ainsworth, Jeffrey, Rosas, Lukosius depending where he plays.

Very promising.
Our problem in the first half of next year will now be delivery to the forward line.
Weller and Budarick won't be available until mid next year.
Powell might not come back the player he was with his injury.
That leaves us with Lemmens, Graham, Ballard, Collins, Farrar and Markov from our current best 22.
Lukosius might be able to take some risky kicks when required but considering our current backs I think every kick is with these guys.
Am I missing someone?

Edit - Rory Atkins has a good boot and I'm sure Sandy Toes would be in favour of his inclusion!

Watching some of the best teams, they have those midfielders (or even high forwards) who get a handball receive from 60-40m out from goals and slam it towards goals. Weller is the only mid/HB we’ve had that I can think of who consistently tried that, rather than a kick to the top of the square. It’s often how teams pump 2-3 goals in quick succession. That will be our next evolution once players get a bit more confidence.

A little more space coming out of centre clearances would help too, so a player can get to about 55m out on the run and go bang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back