How are we going to kick a winning score?

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We have a great ‘looking’ forward line

Ah Chee Lynch Ainsworth

MartinWrightDay/sexton/Macpherson

But it just isn’t working. Lynch is too high up, Ainsworth isn’t finding the feet of the talls and Day isn’t getting set shots. We can’t have swallow leading our scoring and winning matches. Better mid entries would help but i really feel 2MP is the big one. He’s so dynamic and was about to break the comp open. Hopefully our Metricon return is when we start scoring 100+
For mine, Wright has to come straight in to allow Lynch and Day space and provide structured marking targets without the double teaming. Curnow, Casboult and McKay kicked 4.7 on an undersized Bulldogs backline which could have easily been 7.4 and a different result.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For mine, Wright has to come straight in to allow Lynch and Day space and provide structured marking targets without the double teaming. Curnow, Casboult and McKay kicked 4.7 on an undersized Bulldogs backline which could have easily been 7.4 and a different result.
I want to give him time in the NEAFL calf's for a big guy can be dangerous i'm hoping that first match back at Metricon will be his comeback.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Martin has to play forward at the moment. Is too dangerous down thier takes pressure of lynch and day. Worst case he is the one providing the inside 50 and we all know how good a ball user he is. Martin playing in the forward line improves our scores by 3 goals a game.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just don't know what NEAFL would add other than what they've done with Ah Chee which is 70% then 100% game time
That's fair but he'll be doing a lot of heavy lifting in that team especially if they put him in the ruck. I know NEAFL isn't a great quality but for the good players their workload is large carrying 16/17/18 year olds.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Rant ON.

6 games in, and having a good look at our list. Only conclusion I can make is:
- until we get a better midfield, we won't be kicking a winning score often enough against average to good teams.

On the odd day, yes. Against bad teams, yes. For the 10 times a year that you need to perform against finals contenders? Not with the current team.

We break even in the mids, we give our forwards and defenders a fair crack at it.
We get beaten heavily in the mids, like we do most weeks, we are kidding ourselves that we will get enough quality ball to the forwards to be able to kick enough goals to win and overcome the quality ball going the other way.

Assume we need 5 quality mids to compete, a mix of ball winners and outside runners. Emphasis on quality.
The last time we had that depth of quality was 2014 with Ablett, JoM, Swallow, Prestia, and Bennell. Then you support with next rank players.

Lyons and Swallow are yes for quality mids.
Miller is no for mine. Next rank down.
Fiorini is a chance but not there yet.
The rest are question marks.
Hall is a big question mark.
Weller?
Martin?
The rest of our mid potential are 1st or 2nd year players. All question marks.

Finally, how long will it realistically take for us to gather a top 8 quality midfield?
Not this year.
Next year a long shot. No mid injuries, Fiorini and Weller take a couple of leaps, Martin spends more time in the guts. But probably still too young.
2020 the next realistic chance, for mine.
Fingers crossed, still a long long road ahead of us for mine.

Rant OFF.

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Understand everyone wants to see Wright back as soon as possible ,but to put him straight back in the seniors
would be irresponsible.
1 The guy has suffered a severe calf strain ,if he breaks down will possibly miss the whole season.
2 Big guys generally take weeks to find true form.
Reckon needs three weeks in NEAFL.
Simply not worth the risk, he is a big part of our future.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Understand everyone wants to see Wright back as soon as possible ,but to put him straight back in the seniors
would be irresponsible.
1 The guy has suffered a severe calf strain ,if he breaks down will possibly miss the whole season.
2 Big guys generally take weeks to find true form.
Reckon needs three weeks in NEAFL.
Simply not worth the risk, he is a big part of our future.
From the sounds of things, it wasn't so much severe as it wasn't responding treatment. Since then it has been more about getting him back to fitness without risking him on any footy field. Selecting him straight away would give him maximum opportunity to find form. He is a Marquee Player, high Draft Pick and super important to our usual setup.

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From the sounds of things, it wasn't so much severe as it wasn't responding treatment. Since then it has been more about getting him back to fitness without risking him on any footy field. Selecting him straight away would give him maximum opportunity to find form. He is a Marquee Player, high Draft Pick and super important to our usual setup.
Sorry but Wright has had this injury for 8 weeks which to me is fairly significant, very few footballers can miss this many
weeks and expect to have an immediate impact .I totally agree with what you say about his importance
to us, that's why we need to be extra cautious. The modern game does not allow players to be eased back through the Senior.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
Marquee Player
Irrelevant
high Draft Pick
Also Irrelevant.
super important to our usual setup.
Probably agree (though personally I don't think the gap between what he and Sam Day offer is that big), but that alone is not a reason to rush a bloke that's been out of the game for over two months back into the highest level competition in the sport.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rant ON.

6 games in, and having a good look at our list. Only conclusion I can make is:
- until we get a better midfield, we won't be kicking a winning score often enough against average to good teams.

On the odd day, yes. Against bad teams, yes. For the 10 times a year that you need to perform against finals contenders? Not with the current team.

We break even in the mids, we give our forwards and defenders a fair crack at it.
We get beaten heavily in the mids, like we do most weeks, we are kidding ourselves that we will get enough quality ball to the forwards to be able to kick enough goals to win and overcome the quality ball going the other way.

Assume we need 5 quality mids to compete, a mix of ball winners and outside runners. Emphasis on quality.
The last time we had that depth of quality was 2014 with Ablett, JoM, Swallow, Prestia, and Bennell. Then you support with next rank players.

Lyons and Swallow are yes for quality mids.
Miller is no for mine. Next rank down.
Fiorini is a chance but not there yet.
The rest are question marks.
Hall is a big question mark.
Weller?
Martin?
The rest of our mid potential are 1st or 2nd year players. All question marks.

Finally, how long will it realistically take for us to gather a top 8 quality midfield?
Not this year.
Next year a long shot. No mid injuries, Fiorini and Weller take a couple of leaps, Martin spends more time in the guts. But probably still too young.
2020 the next realistic chance, for mine.
Fingers crossed, still a long long road ahead of us for mine.

Rant OFF.
I thought this too however he was the reason we won the brisbane game, and he's currently ranked 16th for clearances. Still only in his 4th season too

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I thought this too however he was the reason we won the brisbane game, and he's currently ranked 16th for clearances. Still only in his 4th season too
He’s definitely turned into a really good run with player and that’s what we’ve desperately needed but he’s not a gun mid.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Irrelevant

Also Irrelevant.

Probably agree (though personally I don't think the gap between what he and Sam Day offer is that big), but that alone is not a reason to rush a bloke that's been out of the game for over two months back into the highest level competition in the sport.
So, if it was Tom Lynch in the same situation would you make him come back through the NEAFL?

NOBBYS

All Australian
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Exactly
People so underestimate 2MP it's criminal
WE do not under estimate Wright but his fitness level will be know where near whats required to last a full game and have any impact.
Honestly I will be staggered if he is selected to play Seniors first up.
You are expecting a lot for a still developing footballer.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
So, if it was Tom Lynch in the same situation would you make him come back through the NEAFL?
He's not Tom Lynch, when he's played 3 times the game he has currently, then i might reassess.
he's kicked one 5 goal bag in 42 games. and it was against Brisbane who gave up on average 130 points a game that season. ie anyone could do it.
Look I'm not saying he's no good I'm just saying i think you lot overestimate him. significantly.
When he's played 120 games he'll probably be everything you guys think he is now, until then you'll see glimpses.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
WE do not under estimate Wright but his fitness level will be know where near whats required to last a full game and have any impact.
Honestly I will be staggered if he is selected to play Seniors first up.
You are expecting a lot for a still developing footballer.
Likewise - I would be very surprised if 2MP starts back at AFL level straight away.
Think club pressers have already indicated he will play NEAFL when available (hopefully this weekend against Canberra).
Like Barlow and Ah Chee he will need to prove himself at that level first given the training and preparation he has missed with this injury.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He's not Tom Lynch, when he's played 3 times the game he has currently, then i might reassess.
he's kicked one 5 goal bag in 42 games. and it was against Brisbane who gave up on average 130 points a game that season. ie anyone could do it.
Look I'm not saying he's no good I'm just saying i think you lot overestimate him. significantly.
When he's played 120 games he'll probably be everything you guys think he is now, until then you'll see glimpses.

I think this is pretty rough on Peter Wright, he is tracking a lot better and is a lot more consistent than tom lynch was at the same age and games played if your purely going off goals kicked.

Tom lynch had only 1 bag of 5 goals by the time he got to 75 games.

At the same games played being 42 games
Peter Wright 59 goals
Tom lynch 40 goals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think this is pretty rough on Peter Wright, he is tracking a lot better and is a lot more consistent than tom lynch was at the same age and games played if your purely going off goals kicked.

Tom lynch had only 1 bag of 5 goals by the time he got to 75 games.

At the same games played being 42 games
Peter Wright 59 goals
Tom lynch 40 goals
This conversation has just passed from hypothetical into reality with Tom Lynch out until after the Bye. Plenty of time for the big fella to work out where he wants to play next, get his contract sorted out, rehab his injuries and get out of the spotlight.

Meantime, 2MP stat! Help me, Two Metre Peter, you're our only hope!!

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
This conversation has just passed from hypothetical into reality with Tom Lynch out until after the Bye. Plenty of time for the big fella to work out where he wants to play next, get his contract sorted out, rehab his injuries and get out of the spotlight.

Meantime, 2MP stat! Help me, Two Metre Peter, you're our only hope!!

Agree with all that - except 2MP needs to kick 5 in Canberra this weekend to prove he is our Messiah.
If he can do that then he can resurrect our forward line in coming weeks...
( Big ask in only 65% playing time ..)

Back