How are we going to kick a winning score?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We know Charlie's going to be double teamed and isn't really experienced enough to be a matchwinner
Brennan isn't a forward

Shame we didn't chase Jack Anthony harder who's now cooling his heels in the WAFL waiting for one of the Freo forwards to get injured.

A winning score or a respectable score.. I'd say aim for the latter. Dixon will have Smith resting forward, and Gorringe joining him this week replacing Fraser will also spend time up forward. Throw in Brennan and its.. not bad?

That's a good point..
There are some players that look capable of getting 2-3 a game (Both Abletts, Matera, Dixon) if they get good delivery, but I can't see where many other goals are going to come from either..
And unfortunately the mids/defence isn't able to keep the opposition under 10 goals either, so it's tough at the moment..

It's going to be tough this year as you recruited most of your experienced players as defenders.

Josh Fraser wouldn't be the worst option playing as a permanent forward and have him there with Dixon and a resting ruckman (Smith or Gorringe). In fact he is probably your only option who could compete for 4qtrs unless you punt on N.Ablett or another kid which wouldn't be ideal.

Most clubs these days are playing 2 tall forwards and a resting ruckman up forward.

In all honesty, it's not about kicking a score this year - it's about 25 kids getting their debut season out of the way, generate a system which creates chances, and maybe unearthing a future superstar or 3.

I picked you to win 5 games, and I think by mid-season you will be competitive against all but the top sides. By the end of next season the boys will be (mostly) men and that's when the need for secondary/tertiary forward options will become paramount.

I'd also think many clubs will play a man-on-man style, exposing your lack of size/strength accross the ground.

I know there is alot of stigma about NAblett but I still do see him as being a successful player for the Suns over the next few years. You can't deny he has the talent to succeed at AFL, he proved that a few years ago even when he didn't have the enthusiasm for the game and still kicked 47 goals in 35 games.

I think now that he is training seriously again, and has the strong support and guidance from the club and brother, this is his best shot to forfil his potential. He played a good game in the reserves yesterday from all reports, and cpl more games under his belt and I see him as a great Fwd option for us. A big body, strong mark, and will get the best defender each game freeing up Dixion and co. a bit more.

I still see him in our best 22 and I hope his body holds up and he gets his chance to return to AFL footy.;)

Charlie Dixon. Played a bit of a shocker yesterday but you can just tell he's got the ability. Can see him having big days with big hauls in the not too distant future. Another tall forward will certainly help balance aswell.

With brennan, g.ablett, bennell chipping in, theres a winning score there. Matera will be a star in that forward line (hopefully in ours;)).

Obviously defending the score is the problem. Constantly getting smashed on the counter.

Just a matter of time and persistence, lads.

I've just been watching the replay of the Bulldogs game, and up to 3/4 time, you'd had 0 marks in your F50..
And it's not like you were devoid of opportunity - Matera, Prestia and Ablett delivered quite a few great passes in the game, only to have them go through the hands or bounce of the chest of their target.
having said that though, I think the Suns will improve again this week and when they play the Demons should get around 10 goals..

Send Coad forward - he's a great reader of the ball, can take a pack mark and has a thumping kick. He did go forward occasionally for Sturt, but as they've had the SANFL's leading goalkicker (Brant Chambers) at FF he was better used down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resting Lynch did not help but we have to rotate the younguns (this year). We need a couple of smaller crumbers to help out Matera. How is Gillbee and Patrick going in the reserves? Should look for one in the Draft this year. We should also implement a new team rule - DO NOT kick to Matera in an aerial contest!! It's just not his go.

Resting Lynch did not help but we have to rotate the younguns (this year). We need a couple of smaller crumbers to help out Matera. How is Gillbee and Patrick going in the reserves? Should look for one in the Draft this year. We should also implement a new team rule - DO NOT kick to Matera in an aerial contest!! It's just not his go.

Matera puts in 110% for those, I think. But the kicks are never good enough for him to get a lead in. The defender can just reach above him, unfortunately.

I think our forward line looks good with Dixon, Lynch, Stanley, Matera, Smith/Fraser and/or Brennan floating around too. So I think the structure is good, and that's a line that can kick goals, but the young guys are just getting out-bodied at the moment. Specially against Freo. Jeez, they have some monsters.

I agree Lynch and Matera have the potential to kick 5+ at some stage in their career.
I'd play Charlie Dixon at CHF in the Brown/Carey mould(wishful thinking)
I think Bennell is gorrn..maybe to Freo and we can trade for Jack Anthony for depth.
I can't see any reason not to play NABlett..other than the senior players have told the selection committee not to pick him :rolleyes:

Matera puts in 110% for those, I think. But the kicks are never good enough for him to get a lead in. The defender can just reach above him, unfortunately.

I think our forward line looks good with Dixon, Lynch, Stanley, Matera, Smith/Fraser and/or Brennan floating around too. So I think the structure is good, and that's a line that can kick goals, but the young guys are just getting out-bodied at the moment. Specially against Freo. Jeez, they have some monsters.

True. the kicks to him need to be a lot flatter and out in front, not on top of his head where he'll get picked off almost every time. On the bright side it is something we will / should improve at.

Ok, so our teams structure is starting annoy me a tad. The last few weeks has become more and more difficult to watch the guys play and the hair pulling is getting far more agressive which is the last thing my receding hair line needs... I want to see a team put on the field that gives the supporter confidence that we can kick a winning score. Yes it is early days and we all have to look at the big picture, but it doesn't mean we can't try things... and the forward lines basic structure hasn't been tweaked for many weeks now, and I think these last rounds of the season would be a great chance to try a few things... Come up with a team that gives us a stronger forward presence and more importantly some fwd line pressure.

B. Thompson, Coad, Wilkinson
HB. Krakouer, Bock, Harbrow
C. Iles, Rischatelli, McKenzie
HF. Brennan, Lynch, Stanley
F. Brown, Dixion, Prestia

R. Smith, GAblett, Swallow

Int: Fraser, Matera, Bennell, Harris, Jolly, Weller

Of course it depends on injuries, rotations, players currently out of form in the reserves, etc, but here is my reasoning...

Campbell Brown to the fwd line... as he did when at the Hawks he is amazing as being a defensive fwd... placing a tag on the oppositions key running backline player... and then on the turn he provides a strong lead and mark and a definite avenue to goal. He kicked quite a few bags for the Hawks this way and gives us the strong body and general's experience to keep things in order down there. His tackling pressure inside the fwd 50 would be amazing.

He absence from the backline rests solely on the ability of Coad to become match fit and fill the 2nd key defenders role which he shouldn't be far away from doing. Thompson/Wilkinson deserve there spots on performance but Weller/Jolly waiting in the wings depending on form/match-ups.

I would also play Prestia in a fwd pocket as the fast paced strong bodied crumber aka Blair from Collingwood, Milne from the Saints type of role. And Prestia averages 6 tackles a game... Yes Matera has the silky skills and will be outstanding with another full season in the gym, but too easily bumped off the ball and unable to break the tackles at this early stage. Still play Matera on the bench for his explosive bursts on the ground, but rotate him through the flanks/wings. Prestia is a great front and centre style of player and could feed off Dixion.

Dixion to play in the square. He is slow, lacking the confidence to lead/mark at the moment, so send the ball long to him... he may mark 1 in 4 and convert, but as long as he gets the ball to ground, get Prestia/Bennell/Stanley at his feet and make the goal happen.

Do not rest the ruckman in a fwd pocket... rotate Smith/Fraser through the bench... let the big guys have a proper rest on the bench and get there slow legs out of our fwd line. Let the fwds do there job.

Matera/Bennell/Jolly/Weller I have listed on the bench are all deserving of a game... but this comes down to the clubs rotation policy... Jolly/Weller will be rotated with Wilkinson/Thompson as already seen this year when bodies are tired, as will Matera/Bennell with Prestia/McKenzie, etc.

I have put Harris and Krakouer in the team who need to stand up now and prove there worth. Even though they are currently banished to the reserves I think in the big picture, and to make this team structure work they have there important roles to play.

Hunt I have left our of the team for now to go back to the reserves and do what they said they were going to do last month. Get some midfield time into his legs and let him learn a more offensive style of play so next season he can come out and player substantial periods on the ball.

Anyhoo, that's all for now, just had to get it off my mind!

Campbell Brown to the fwd line... as he did when at the Hawks he is amazing as being a defensive fwd... placing a tag on the oppositions key running backline player... and then on the turn he provides a strong lead and mark and a definite avenue to goal. He kicked quite a few bags for the Hawks this way and gives us the strong body and general's experience to keep things in order down there. His tackling pressure inside the fwd 50 would be amazing.

In our game thread, this was offered up as something that you should do but someone has posted that it is in his contract that he wants a consistent position and didnt like being thrown around by the Hawks. I find that odd that a senior player cannot be asked to throw something different at the opposition.

I can remember him kicking goals for the Hawks and your forward line needs him for the reasons you have outlined above.

Our defence is not good and if Bluey McKenna wanted to push for a win then he would be trying something different to see if they can expose one of our defenders. If he is about development only then I guess the team will go along business as usual.

I agree Lynch and Matera have the potential to kick 5+ at some stage in their career.
I'd play Charlie Dixon at CHF in the Brown/Carey mould(wishful thinking)
I think Bennell is gorrn..maybe to Freo and we can trade for Jack Anthony for depth.
I can't see any reason not to play NABlett..other than the senior players have told the selection committee not to pick him :rolleyes:

lol fail^

bennell is not gone
nablett should not play
jack anthony definetly should not be recruited!!!
dixon suits ff more than chf

Yeh that could well be the case 1980, I hope it isn't for the clubs sake but time will tell. I'm sure browny sees that he could be a valuable asset down forward at the moment so hopefully he and Bluey have a deep and meaningful before seasons end and trial it for a couple of games and see how the structure goes... I'm am very pleased to see Prestia named in a forward pocket this week... Maybe Bluey read my post earlier today! Lol... But alas we still have a ruckman playing full forward... Why oh why!?!?

And bbscout, if a Jack Anthony or Mitch Morton became available for trade at seasons end I would seriously consider them for recruitment. They are exactly what we need to get us through next season. A 1 year contract only to provide a strong body and experience to teach our young forwards what to do. Then rotate Dixion, Day and Lynch until one or more of them grabs there chance. I still think something could happen along these lines...

In our game thread, this was offered up as something that you should do but someone has posted that it is in his contract that he wants a consistent position and didnt like being thrown around by the Hawks. I find that odd that a senior player cannot be asked to throw something different at the opposition.

I can remember him kicking goals for the Hawks and your forward line needs him for the reasons you have outlined above.

Our defence is not good and if Bluey McKenna wanted to push for a win then he would be trying something different to see if they can expose one of our defenders. If he is about development only then I guess the team will go along business as usual.
Actually his partnership with Bock is going well (though I missed r16). They have gelled together down back and we need those 2 senior heads organising etc. We usually have Stanley to play that role you described but our midfield has been forced to shuffle as of late.

Right now I think he's better served down back, let the bull run wild up the front ;)

Actually his partnership with Bock is going well (though I missed r16). They have gelled together down back and we need those 2 senior heads organising etc. We usually have Stanley to play that role you described but our midfield has been forced to shuffle as of late.

Right now I think he's better served down back, let the bull run wild up the front ;)

Yeah you dont want to rob yourself of anything. Not sure Jack Reiwoldt requires your best defender at present as its rumoured he is playing with cracked ribs.

Vickery is more likely to be the thorn.

With Hunt taking a rest, you lose a big strong body down there.

Will be interesting to see if your guys can get yourself up for a big effort this week and not show the fatigue of previous weeks. Looked last week that you just didnt think you had a chance against the Swans from the very beginning.

I would also play Prestia in a fwd pocket as the fast paced strong bodied crumber aka Blair from Collingwood, Milne from the Saints type of role. And Prestia averages 6 tackles a game... Yes Matera has the silky skills and will be outstanding with another full season in the gym, but too easily bumped off the ball and unable to break the tackles at this early stage. Still play Matera on the bench for his explosive bursts on the ground, but rotate him through the flanks/wings. Prestia is a great front and centre style of player and could feed off Dixion.

Your wish has been granted. Prestia has been named in the forward pocket.

B: Toy Bock Thompson
HB: Wilkinson Brown Harbrow
C: McKenzie Brennan Bennell
HF: D Stanley Lynch G Ablett
F: Dixon Fraser Prestia
FOLL: Smith Swallow Rischitelli
I/C: Iles Liddy Shaw Jolly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back