How are we going to kick a winning score?

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I still have faith that Day and Lynch will become two very good forwards. As we've seen, they just need time.

When Lynch isn't triple teamed he looks amazing. Strong, mobile and a good mark.

Day looks like he finally has confidence to jump for the ball. He's improved out of sight.

Both of these guys will only continue to improve.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
It also has a lot to do with our delivery into the forward line just quietly...

There's 2 people in a marriage...
Yep. The Hawks pressure was unbelievable. Our mids are still at the stage where they need some time and space to deliver the ball well into 50. Even Gaz was mis-hitting them, which really says something.

Not to mention the Hawks cut off our quick spread really well, meaning they had time to move their midfield back to plug the gaps guys like Lynch or Day would lead into.

When the ball is place not just on top of guys like Lynch, but behind them, it nullifies any height advantage they have.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You reckon we need that medium sized forward? I just wish Boston was fit.
Crameri has been absolutely awesome for the Dogs. Love the way he has license to roam up onto the back flank and get involved. Not too many players of his calibre in that role though.

Absolutely
I call them mid fats
Chapman Crameri even Stevie J
Worth their ample weight in gold

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
I still have faith that Day and Lynch will become two very good forwards. As we've seen, they just need time.

When Lynch isn't triple teamed he looks amazing. Strong, mobile and a good mark.

Day looks like he finally has confidence to jump for the ball. He's improved out of sight.

Both of these guys will only continue to improve.

There straight line leading fwds though, which isn't always a bad thing, but there's not a lot of unpredictability in there style of play. It's whether we will be successful with a 3 tall set-up with Dixon/Day/Lynch or better suited to a 2 tall + 1 mobile marking fwd who can change direction on a lead and doesn't have the turning circle of a truck. Time will tell.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think we've seen with the addition of Dixon exactly how dynamic the forward line can be. When the wheels are turning they are really starting to gel.

Dixon is the enforcer type that just flies for everything. Was very rusty last night but that was to be expected.

Lynch is mobile and just clunks everything in sight. Fantastic contested mark who loves to get them out the back.

Day for me is an interesting one. I think it's taken us a bit of time to find out exactly how to best play him, and that's roaming around half forward and wing. Getting his hands on it with clean disposal by hand and foot. Leads extremely well at the ball and takes those vital marks when we clear out of the back 50. When we're missing Dixon, it forces Day to play more as an inside forward 50 target. But we've seen with his agility, pace and athleticism that he's better when he can work up the ground. He's not too dissimilar to Buddy in this regard. Day just looks like a completely different player this year. At least with Lynch and Dixon they built themselves up to this level. But Day has just exploded this year.

I also think that the gel appears to really work. They are all completely different types of forwards, which is a good thing. They're not leading into each other or getting into each other's space. Great viewing.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i'm still wondering after all this time
Now 5 seasons later

From what I've seen in the first half from the first half at Etihad GWS has rolled right past us
I wouldn't be surprised if they go top 6 this year

I understand that you can only recruit what's on offer in a particular year, but our structural deficits in terms of Big Men and Forwards has been glaring
The Club's policy was obviously to hope the guys we have would go to the next level
And with Gaz and Jaeger's injuries we won't even be able to paper over the cracks with League leading contested and stoppage clearances

GWS has Paton Boyd McCarthy Mumford and Cameron
I'll go out on a limb and say I reckon they would all be ahead of any of our talls at the moment......with the possible exception of Tom Lynch

I think Scott Clayton has got it wrong a few too many times
A Club stacked with outside mids isn't my favourite mix
I hope we can turn it around next week and get on a roll

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
I think we need to breath and see how we respond before you jump to doomsday prophecies. Tom lynch IMO is the best forward out of the lot. Don't get me wrong Cameron can really play but lynch has the same sort of work rate as Nick Riewoldt. Sam Day, Lynch and Dixon all complement each other. although the lack of quality medium sized defenders hurts us. plus with the amount of players we had out during the preseason we couldn't expect much different then an average performance first up

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Ironically we looked better in NAB without Gary there. There appears to still be expectation that Gary will just 'go in and there and get the ball' when he's standing next to you. And after our drubbings over the first 2-3 years, it's just been built into them. We have to learn to be just as hard at it and apply the pressure when Gary is lining up right next to our other mids as if he weren't there.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ironically we looked better in NAB without Gary there. There appears to still be expectation that Gary will just 'go in and there and get the ball' when he's standing next to you. And after our drubbings over the first 2-3 years, it's just been built into them. We have to learn to be just as hard at it and apply the pressure when Gary is lining up right next to our other mids as if he weren't there.

We saw that a bit with Harley and "that" handball yesterday didn't we?
Just expecting Gaz to do it. But sometimes Gaz calls for it and that makes me a bit mad, because how can a player refuse?
I was just expecting a Wheels special outside of the boot curling through hands outstretched celebration
Instead we got a Keystone cops scene

I think we can take some hope from Hawthorn and even Geelong really
They rely on one key forward and a host of tall/medium goal-kicking mids
I think that's something we can replicate with Tommy and our run through forwards and maybe get some quality time out of Dicko and look to 2MP in the future as back ups

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
We appear to be way more selfless in general.

I think Harley was maybe hoping to give one of his best mates an easy welcome back present goal. But he fired that handball just way too fast. I think the play was there, just didn't come off.

If it was anyone else though you're right. Our players need to be more selfish. Jack Martin should have had 3 shots at goal in that last half. Instead he tried to thread the needle. Just take the shot, Jack! You're good enough!

gee5

Rookie
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
why not just put gaz in the goal square and leave him there for the wholeagame let the other midfielders stand up and get it down to him and i reckon gaz would kick six to eight goals .

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
why not just put gaz in the goal square and leave him there for the wholeagame let the other midfielders stand up and get it down to him and i reckon gaz would kick six to eight goals .
with the state of garys shoulder I think its time to reinvent himself as a full forward just like his old man

May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
with the state of garys shoulder I think its time to reinvent himself as a full forward just like his old man

Why is he out there if his shoulder isn't fully healed? He's just running the risk of re-injuring it or impairing it's ability to heal back up to 100%. He's still got 5 years left in him if his body holds up and doesn't get wrecked. You saw how dangerous he was when he was resting forward on Saturday when he sharked those two goals in quick succession. You're potentially robbing yourself of that in future years by putting him out there prematurely and milking what you can get out of him with only the immediate future in mind.

I never understood why your fans were willing him to get up for the game. It's clear that he's been rushed back in time for round 1 and that if it ran it's natural course he would still be spending time on the sidelines. It's not like an "oh, what great timing, he made it just in time for round 1 thing", it's obvious that he was still a fair way off and the club put him out prematurely as they rely almost solely on him to get the team over the line.

You're never going to have any success if you're a team team that plays like that and is reliant on one guy delivering a Herculean performance each week. I thought that GC would have improved on it after last season - but still - if Ablett doesn't produce one of his signature games then the Suns look languid and underwhelming. You look at the top teams, if one of their star players misses with injury, then other players will step up their game and fill the void, that just doesn't seem to happen with GC at the moment. I don't know why they would even bother risking him because by bringing him back prematurely and not giving him the time he needs, you're just conceding that the team relies solely on him and that they are a long way off from being a well balanced team with 22 contributors.

I know he's the best player in the comp, but you're just never going to get anywhere if you play like that, so what's the point of even risking him. It says that the team isn't ready and mature enough yet, so why even bother?

Last edited:

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oilers, Mariners, Clippers
We should keep Gary up front - the man is a fantastic goal-kicker. Probably less chance of hurting the shoulder moving him forward, too.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
We should keep Gary up front - the man is a fantastic goal-kicker. Probably less chance of hurting the shoulder moving him forward, too.

IMO Gaz has a roving commission and can go forward or back if he feels he is needed or will be more effective.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
We still kicked 89 points. Our average score for the year last year was 87 points which was good enough for 9th highest.

Scoring was not our problem yesterday. Our main issue was being smashed at the clearances, letting them run it out of defence too easily and easy turnovers

Back