How are we going to kick a winning score?

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
They might play him in the Ruck so he gets his hand on the ball a fair bit??
Is that possible?
Fair call - Crossley could play forward . Just think if he is to be the Messiah he needs to kick goals.
We should have the mids against Canberra to give him delivery - even if in the usual haphazard NEAFL way (which is little different to our Seniors at the moment)
Sure he needs run in his legs - but goal scoring is the priority IMO.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree with all that - except 2MP needs to kick 5 in Canberra this weekend to prove he is our Messiah.
If he can do that then he can resurrect our forward line in coming weeks...
( Big ask in only 65% playing time ..)
IMHO if Wright is ready to play football, he should come straight back into first grade. He trained the house down all Summer and got an injury just before the JLT. He was fit then and has done 3 months of rehab since so why wouldn't he be back to full fitness. The other thing to consider is his opponent, Naughton, who is a rookie Fullback who gets bashed up by key forwards every weekend. Round 1 Cameron kicked 6 on Naughton, West Coast's tall forwards took turns in turning him inside out in Round 2, Daniher kicked 2.2 on him in Round 3, Buddy kicked 3.4 on him in round 4, McCarthy kicked 2.3 in Round 5 and the Blues Forwards had him stitched up but couldn't kick straight with Casboult and Curnow kicking 3.7 between them.
They might play him in the Ruck so he gets his hand on the ball a fair bit??
Is that possible?
Mr Bods, anything is possible with the selection panel. They have thrown up a few surprises, yet they have been fairly consistent. The loss of the pillar positions will either cause a creative response or vanilla. If they just toss Leslie in down back and Ah Chee up front then all they have to do is work out how to relieve Witts in the ruck without taking Day away from the goalsquare, which means adopting a slightly different approach but pretty much keeping everything uniform. I'm in favour of a radical approach, but you're unlikely to see it.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is why we can't bloody score because every inside 50 is just us bombing the ball to Lynch who is 1on3
IMG_1514.JPG

Don't worry about kicking it to the two free players running into open space 40 meters out directly in front

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's really hard work for us to score Dew says
#youdon'tsay
I really think they have tried to address this issue with the draft and new recruits
Melbourne Media will laugh and say "But but but...Uncle Tom's gone "
I am predicting a significant increase in our average points per game next year

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I really think they have tried to address this issue with the draft and new recruits
Yeah, this thread needs to go away and die, but it won’t unless your prophecy comes about. Lukosius, Rankine and King could be a brilliant forward line for 10 to 15 years, but in the meanwhile, Corbett is a decent addition and Miles, Ellis, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and the emerging Suns mids will give better supply. In paper it is all encouraging for us, while the pessimists will also be able to argue that the noobs will take time and the “fringe” guys are not good enough.

IMHO, the goals need to come from a variety of sources. Wright knows where the goals are and can crack 50 as number one KPF. Day, as the chop out forward, might only be good for a goal a game, yet if 2MP is getting 3 that’s ok. Rankine, Sexton, MacPherson and Martin should all be goal a game guys, so there’s half what will be needed. The best sides have 6 or so players getting 20 per season, that is part of the solution.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
If playing the whole year and healthy I reckon
Wright 30
Martin 30
Sexton 25
Rankine 25
Corbett 25
Day 20
Macpherson 20
Ainsworth 18
Lukosius 15

Would be a major improvement. So would staying fit and healthy!

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, this thread needs to go away and die, but it won’t unless your prophecy comes about. Lukosius, Rankine and King could be a brilliant forward line for 10 to 15 years, but in the meanwhile, Corbett is a decent addition and Miles, Ellis, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and the emerging Suns mids will give better supply. In paper it is all encouraging for us, while the pessimists will also be able to argue that the noobs will take time and the “fringe” guys are not good enough.

IMHO, the goals need to come from a variety of sources. Wright knows where the goals are and can crack 50 as number one KPF. Day, as the chop out forward, might only be good for a goal a game, yet if 2MP is getting 3 that’s ok. Rankine, Sexton, MacPherson and Martin should all be goal a game guys, so there’s half what will be needed. The best sides have 6 or so players getting 20 per season, that is part of the solution.
No-one and I mean no-one wants this thread to die more than me
I will pack it in a surfboat douse it with oil, push it out onto Talle creek and set fire to it personally if we ever start having some system into the forward line
I promise

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wright 30
Martin 30
Sexton 25
Rankine 25
Corbett 25
Day 20
Macpherson 20
Ainsworth 18
Lukosius 15

Wright has it in him when fit to go 40+

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No-one and I mean no-one wants this thread to die more than me
I will pack it in a surfboat douse it with oil, push it out onto Talle creek and set fire to it personally if we ever start having some system into the forward line
I promise
And I will meet you at the Talle Surf Club to give you an alibi while the Palmy Fireys try to put the bastard out!

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wright 30
Martin 30
Sexton 25
Rankine 25
Corbett 25
Day 20
Macpherson 20
Ainsworth 18
Lukosius 15

That would be elite and about 13 wins not including any other major contributors. But I’m not saying it can’t happen. Welcome to Team Optimist!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
Would be OK if we just show the capability to score this year.

As in: (1) we move the ball forward with purpose on multiple occasions each game, and
(2) we keep the ball in our forward line for relatively long periods each game.

Our team will have enough under 21's and inexperienced over 21's (less than 50 games played) that the other team will most likely be able to move the ball and score.

Would be a big step if we can show that we can also move the ball with purpose against the best defences in the comp. Not all game, but enough times to count. If all we do is smash it forward and hope for the best, our defenders will go mad.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

As in: (1) we move the ball forward with purpose on multiple occasions each game, and

Our team will have enough under 21's and inexperienced over 21's (less than 50 games played) that the other team will most likely be able to move the ball and score.

Would be a big step if we can show that we can also move the ball with purpose against the best defences in the comp. Not all game, but enough times to count. If all we do is smash it forward and hope for the best, our defenders will go mad.
This in spades

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

We have 17 players on the list with 50+ games experience and 21 with 40+, so we couldn't even pick an experienced team if we tried. There are 7 players with 100+ games, although 3 guys should get to the milestone fairly quickly and another 4 have the potential to hit it sometime during the season.

Conversely, we've got 9 virgins on the list who will all likely be blooded this season barring injury. There are 10 over 21s with less than 50 games, but most of these guys are actually ballers - Wright, Joyce, Fiorini, Ah Chee, MacPherson, Holman - who have had plenty of game time invested in them at AFL level as well as development in the NEAFL, while the others - Wigg, Corbett, Burgess, Collins - are abundantly experienced at VFL/SANFL level and mature enough to provide quality depth.

Under 21s who will feature are all classy players and mostly high draft picks. Ainsworth, Bowes, Brodie, and Ballard are in most best 22s and will be joined by Lukosius and Rankine, with King and McLovin likely to debut before long. Academy guys Crossley, Scheer, Nutting, Dawson, Heron and Graham have played heaps of footy together in the NEAFL and have the advantage of being in the system for years.

I don't really think our youth is the liability it has been in the past because a lot of these kids have had game exposure and for the first time there is depth in the list right down to the newest recruit. Not only is this going to mean that injuries can be covered more adequately, but also enable the selection panel to choose teams on form and that can only be good in the long run. From a NEAFL perspective, Malceski will be able to coach with the same structures and game planning as the senior team which will be integral to player development. Last season, despite the growing injury toll, the NEAFL side was able to prepare players for promotion - 10 out the 22 that beat Sydney started their seasons in the NEAFL.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
this is why I'm generally considered the village idiot round these parts :drunk:

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
After Round 7

2017: Points for 705, points against 752, %93.75
2018: Points for 493, points against 603, %81.7
2019 Ponits for 442, points against 578, %76.4

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
502 points for the season, 8 games in. I know i'm a pessimist, but it is hard to find a way to turn that into a positive.

If we can't find ways to kick scores we don't deserve to win games
I'll try spin some positivity.
This is exactly what Paul Roos did with Melbourne. The same Melbourne side that were favourites for the flag this year.
The stripped back approach. First be hard to score against. Then later we will work on scoring. For now we are staying in games with a great defensive, high pressure effort.
Once we get the basics right I'm sure we'll work on the flashy stuff and being a higher scoring team.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'll try spin some positivity.
This is exactly what Paul Roos did with Melbourne. The same Melbourne side that were favourites for the flag this year.
The stripped back approach. First be hard to score against. Then later we will work on scoring. For now we are staying in games with a great defensive, high pressure effort.
Once we get the basics right I'm sure we'll work on the flashy stuff and being a higher scoring team.

Yes,
I think once we have more confidence in our midfield and go for a more offensive approach we have the capability.
Don't get me wrong - would love to be kicking 10+ goals every single week - I'm happy with our season so far though.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
502 points for the season, 8 games in. I know i'm a pessimist, but it is hard to find a way to turn that into a positive.

If we can't find ways to kick scores we don't deserve to win games
The reality is that we are not finished product and still struggle at least to even up the midfield contest (mostly still losing the battle as players develop there). Yesterday we were actually efficient once we got inside 50. Without enough and efficient deliveries not much forwards can do. I am pretty sure if we had the same number of I50 like Demons we would beat them easily.

Plenty of scoring potential in our forward line. Add Rankine and King.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
We are deliberately playing defense first.

Our defense was amazing last night, also whenever we got it forward we looked like scoring. Just our threadbare midfield not allowing us to get it forward enough, which is understandable.

Give it 2 years and I reckon we will be in or near the eight.

Back