How are we going to kick a winning score?

Remove this Banner Ad

When Davey dropped that ball over the back onto Corbett's chest I wondered when the last time I saw one of our mids come out of the centre and hit a leading forward who then converted to give us the lead
Gave me some hope
Also with Hanley lacing out 2MP to get our first goal. And then Ainsworth chipping it into a leading Lemmens.

Bestill my beating heart! We looked like an AFL team.

We've got more goals from midfielders this year which is great

Last year our midfielders kicked very few goals
Lyons 7
Miller 6
Swallow 5
Bowes 4
Fiorini 4
Powell 2
Lonergan 1
Hall 1
Brodie 1

This year we're looking better
Swallow 6
Bowes 4
Powel 4
Macpherson 4
Miles 3
Fiorini 2

Although I'm pretty sure goals overall are down.

We've got more goals from midfielders this year which is great

Last year our midfielders kicked very few goals
Lyons 7
Miller 6
Swallow 5
Bowes 4
Fiorini 4
Powell 2
Lonergan 1
Hall 1
Brodie 1

This year we're looking better
Swallow 6
Bowes 4
Powel 4
Macpherson 4
Miles 3
Fiorini 2

Although I'm pretty sure goals overall are down.
Yeah, lacking Lynch we have seen the goals dry up overall.

Bodes well for our future though if we can continue having our midfielders kicking goals.

Not having seen too many suns games - would playing Lukosius on a wing be a better option - he has the tank to run all day and if he gets it he can hit targets inside 50. Might be a change up. But don't despair after yesterday - it was a wet grubby day and a slog. The dryer days will allow your youngsters to use their skills and after a year or two when their bodies develop, they will be better able to handle the wet colder days

Not having seen too many suns games - would playing Lukosius on a wing be a better option - he has the tank to run all day and if he gets it he can hit targets inside 50. Might be a change up. But don't despair after yesterday - it was a wet grubby day and a slog. The dryer days will allow your youngsters to use their skills and after a year or two when their bodies develop, they will be better able to handle the wet colder days

He basically played on the wing yesterday.
I don’t mind him up there.
Saw some of his class kicking inside 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He basically played on the wing yesterday.
I don’t mind him up there.
Saw some of his class kicking inside 50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Luko can provide quality entries into 50 for our guys to get their mitts on we could be onto something.

But best laid plans and all that.

Do you think there is much improvement left in 2MP??
Plenty

I was having this conversation with a board member about another player who reminded me that traditionally, Talls take longer to develop than any other position.

He's not getting the forward line delivery he used to with this new game plan so he's going to have to learn to be smart about how he approaches the contests and work for his kicks, Which in turn will open things up for the easy ones.

It's a catch 22, The harder you work the easier things become. But you can't put the cart before the horse and expect the easy ones first.

Plenty

I was having this conversation with a board member about another player who reminded me that traditionally, Talls take longer to develop than any other position.

He's not getting the forward line delivery he used to with this new game plan so he's going to have to learn to be smart about how he approaches the contests and work for his kicks, Which in turn will open things up for the easy ones.

It's a catch 22, The harder you work the easier things become. But you can't put the cart before the horse and expect the easy ones first.
Spot on still a heap of improvement left in him.
I just had to look it up he’s still only 22

So after 11 games
Defence: 945 points against (12th)
Attack: 660 points for (18th)

2018 after 11 games (had rd 10 bye)
Defence: 1084 points against
Attack: 674 points for

Definitely improved in defence which is important.
With lower scores this year it would be interesting to see if our improvement was proportionally higher than the rest of the league..

If our 6 forwards were Wright, Corbett, Martin as the talls
Rankine, Sexton And Ah Chee as goal sneaks
and they all basically playing the 4 quarters with minimal rotation with even supply then I think we can get winning scores.

Forget Martin as a mid he is a show pony type
And stop ruining Wright by giving him chop out ruck duties

Work on King as a defender
Long term and have Thompson Collins and King as the 3 tall defenders with Hombsch as a neafl and depth man.

The likes of Ainsworth and Lukosius simply must be developed as Mids until they get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha ha.I got warned for reviving this last time.
Thanks because I desperately wanted to.
Corbett Ainsworth are a start
Rankine needs to kick goals in the VFL and Burgess can play back for Graham
I quite like Flanders but I'm not sure about his role as a senior AFL player
Obviously it's not to kick goals

Ha ha.I got warned for reviving this last time.
Thanks because I desperately wanted to.
Corbett Ainsworth are a start
Rankine needs to kick goals in the VFL and Burgess can play back for Graham
I quite like Flanders but I'm not sure about his role as a senior AFL player
Obviously it's not to kick goals

2 players kick 4 and 5 goals in the vfl should be straight in next week

Goals this year

Forwards - 93 goals
King, Rankine, Corbett, Sexton, Burgess, Holman, Ainsworth, Day, Bowes (only goal kicked whilst playing fwd)

Midfielders - 32 goals
Weller, Greenwood, Swallow, Ellis, Miller, Lukosius, Flanders, Smith, Macpherson, Atkins

Defenders - 1 goals
Markov

Goal assists this year

Forwards - 25 goal assists
Rankine, King, Holman, Ainsworth, Sexton, Burgess, Corbett

Midfielders - 46 goal assists
Greenwood, Lukosius, Ellis, Swallow, Weller, Flanders, Miller, Atkins, Anderson, Macpherson

Defenders - 6 goal assists
Markov, Powell, Bowes

1 goal and 6 goal assists from our defenders.
Clearly no flow and run from the back half. No clean link up play
As a team, second last in both goals and goal assists.

Goals this year

Forwards - 93 goals
King, Rankine, Corbett, Sexton, Burgess, Holman, Ainsworth, Day, Bowes (only goal kicked whilst playing fwd)

Midfielders - 32 goals
Weller, Greenwood, Swallow, Ellis, Miller, Lukosius, Flanders, Smith, Macpherson, Atkins

Defenders - 1 goals
Markov

Goal assists this year

Greenwood, Lukosius, Ellis, Swallow, Weller, Flanders, Miller, Atkins, Anderson, Macpherson

Markov, Powell, Bowes

Would count luko as defender. he kicked that goal against sydney from half back.

Goals this year

Forwards - 93 goals

Midfielders - 32 goals

Defenders - 1 goals
Markov

Goal assists this year

Markov, Powell, Bowes

But yes i agree; but powell bowes lemmens dont get the chance to run up the ground and attack when the ball gets turned over straight away because we have no target at the centre line

Day 7 goals in his last 13 games as a 2nd tall forward & only 3 goal assists. I love the guy but this is from a top 3 pick with 150 games behind him. Easy to see why we chased Josh Kennedy.

I like Sammy too, a wonderful servant of the Club, but now its time to be playing with Harbrow and Smith in the 2nds and give Corbett his chance.

I think we need both Corbett and Jeffrey in the fwd line with King, to give 3 geniune marking targets. We all know we just bomb it in and the ball is just getting killed too easily rendering Rankine and Sexton useless as it either gets punched OOB or direct turnover. We may lose a bit of fwd pressure but teams are just walking it out at the moment so its worth a try.

I have no idea what the Club's expectations of Ben Ainsworth are
The guy averages close to a goal a match which isn't great, but in a team that averages less than 10 goals a game I think they're being unrealistic if they're expecting Eddie Bett's 1.6 a game
His "replacement" Flanders while showing glimpses had kicked 2 goals in 9 matches
When it's so obvious we struggle to score goals you just have to load up on players who've shown they kick goals
I love Ranks but he's offering very very little other than potential at the moment
To be fair I think this comes down to Dew strangling his natural game

I have no idea what the Club's expectations of Ben Ainsworth are
The guy averages close to a goal a match which isn't great, but in a team that averages less than 10 goals a game I think they're being unrealistic if they're expecting Eddie Bett's 1.6 a game
His "replacement" Flanders while showing glimpses had kicked 2 goals in 9 matches
When it's so obvious we struggle to score goals you just have to load up on players who've shown they kick goals
I love Ranks but he's offering very very little other than potential at the moment
To be fair I think this comes down to Dew strangling his natural game

I would’ve swapped Ainsworth for rainkine a couple of weeks ago.. if Ainsworth can keep his work rate like the Sydney game he’s a different player his blast off the front of the square and shot at goal is the only thing that lets him down because it’s usually a behind.. but for me he offers more than rankine currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back